BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: RISK Replacement? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gaibrial Mc Kee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My brothers (ages 8 and 11) love RISK, and they are constantly asking me to play it. I am new at this hobby, and so my knowledge of what is out there is spotty. I used to enjoy RISK when I was wee, but I now intensely dislike RISK for the following (cliched) reasons:

1) Long down-time in between players' turns. Unless you were attacked, you could leave the board, and come back 10 minutes later.

2) It's perhaps the only strategy game in which no strategising is required. Battles are almost completely a matter of luck.

3) The game is at least 2 hours too long (and that's IF you can stand to finish it).

I fancy that my brothers enjoy RISK because:

1) There's a map.

2) You command little men around on the map.

3) The little men that you command around on the map attack your foes, and that's delightful.

I have been searching for a game that could replace RISK. It has to be relatively short (less than 75 minutes), accomodate up to 4 players (but be playable at two and three), and have some element of strategy (though I am not averse to a certain degree of luck). But most importantly, this game must also have little men that march around on a map... because everyone knows that a strategy game simply is not strategic if there aren't little men and a map.

I have considered purchasing miniatures for CONDOTTIERE, as this game seems to (largely) meet my criteria. I would also like to hear suggestions from other Geeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dust - it's pushing the limit of your time requirement, but seriously... look at the map and the figures. What Risk fan could say no to this?

Alternatively, if it's all about plastic men attacking each other on a map, with a shorter playing time (less than an hour), consider Memoir '44 if it doesn't have to be on a grand world-wide scale...

Note: Though Memoir 44 is most commonly recognized as a two-player game (and as such it performs quite a bit better than any Risk variant), it really does work well as a multi-player game (in teams). Essentially one player on a team is managing the command cards and issuing orders to his "subordinates", and players in charge of a specific part of the battlefield (left flank, right flank, center) gets to decide the specific actions once orders come in from "on high". In multi-player situations, some scenarios work better than others - specifically, those that have a decent distribution of units across the entire map. With two copies of the game you can have up to eight players (four per side) in the Operation Overlord scenario.

But enough chat. No game is worth it if you can't get them interested in playing, right? Just show them this video and see how it goes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Wehneman
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Small World. It doesn't have little men, but it does have well-illustrated cardboard counters depicting amazons, halflings, giants, etc..

I guess if money was no object you could buy miniatures for each of the races, but other than that Small World seems to meet your needs.

- Neil Wehneman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than as a replacement for Risk: have you tried any of the newer versions? Most of those solve the 'down-time' issues mentioned.

The Star Wars: Original Trilogy version is also good for three players, each of which have differing victory conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of good options are:
El Grande - you don't directly "attack" the other players, but you vie for area majority, and you can force the others to move around, or even take them off the map in some cases. This doesn't work well with 3, though.

Small World - Less random combat, more theme, quicker play time (compared to Risk)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Viktory II would be an excellent choice. All things they want and none of the things you don't want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Feery
United States
Oakley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. Most any version of Axis & Allies would be a nice step up from Risk, but I think Nexus Ops would be perfect for you (if you can find a copy of it).

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Viktory II would be an excellent choice. All things they want and none of the things you don't want.

Seconded. Designed to address the general complaints about Risk. Quicker, less downtime, just as much (if not more) strategy. Great pieces, and a map that both scales for different numbers of players, and changes with every playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Look into Nexus Ops for a close to 'Risk' game.

You might even look at Risk 2210 A.D. and Risk: Godstorm, the games are limited to 5 turns, so the length isn't a problem. Downtime is 'heavily' influenced by the gaming group, so I can't comment on that one.

For a more Euro game with a 'semi-risk' flare, I'd second El Grande, but also if you want to go that route and leave a bit of the luck into the battles, also check out Shogun (or Wallenstein (first edition)).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:

Thirded. You really want Nexus Ops. It's out of print, but I think it's worth hunting down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
For their age especially, I'll cast my vote in with the recommendation of Nexus Ops, both for gameplay reasons and the cool, day-glow plastic figures.

And like somebody else also said, Risk (Revised Edition) is also a good option that is still Risk, but with victory conditions that reduce the length of the game (and it's the version of the game currently sold in stores).

Age of Gods is also a pretty good idea, but it throws in some neat hidden player stuff with bluffing and mind games (you can check out my review of it here).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd second Dust. It's almost exactly the same as Risk but tweaked so that there's actual strategy involved. Plus, the minis are cooler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my suggestions:

1. Small World. Plays much more quickly and will gateway into other games much more easily than the others. Can get stale after a few plays, although I always thought Risk did too.

2. Nexus Ops. It's good as a replacement for Risk, but get's stale after fewer plays than Small World.

3. Chaos in the Old World. Here's my dark horse pick. Still place figures (now including demons, cultists, and Risk pieces don't have breasts!) in areas, but you get to be an evil God corrupting a world! Plays in a couple hours (rather than all night), but much more engaging in theme and allows one to revel in being evil without any karma kickback. If totally defeating the entire continent of Asia from Kamchatka in one turn floats your boat, imagine corrupting the entire world through subterfuge, claw, axe, seduction, and guile, then listening to the lamentation of the other lesser Gods who must now pay you homage...devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:

You might even look at Risk 2210 A.D. and Risk: Godstorm, the games are limited to 5 turns, so the length isn't a problem. Downtime is 'heavily' influenced by the gaming group, so I can't comment on that one.

For a more Euro game with a 'semi-risk' flare, I'd second El Grande, but also if you want to go that route and leave a bit of the luck into the battles, also check out Shogun (or Wallenstein (first edition)).

I find risk2210 is still about an hour per player. so it's still a long game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Shapiro
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Try the revised (Black Ops) version of Risk. It has all of the flavor of the original without the long downtime. If you can't finish one of the revised versions in about an hour, you need to evaluate the amount of time spent on strategising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaibrial Mc Kee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd like to thank everyone that took the time to make a game suggestion.

Looking into RISK variants is something I have already done --and I have found that they play all too similarly to their flawed forefather.

Suggestions that I have retained:

Smallworld
Memoir 44
Viktory II
Nexus Ops

Yes, I know about Dust, and yes, it looks very cool. But it's also far too long. I'm at uni now: I simply cannot play a board game for 2 hours, and they can't concentrate for that length of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ZealotInATuxedo wrote:
I'd like to thank everyone that took the time to make a game suggestion.

Looking into RISK variants is something I have already done --and I have found that they play all too similarly to their flawed forefather.

Smallworld
Memoir 44
Viktory II
Nexus Ops

Yes, I know about Dust, and yes, it looks very cool. But it's also far too long. I'm at uni now: I simply cannot play a board game for 2 hours, and they can't concentrate for that length of time.

My brother loves Risk. He played Small World with me for the first time last weekend (we played twice) and he liked enough to want to go buy a copy for himself. I'd put it on your short list for "fun RISK replacments". I personally would rather play Small World to RISK by an enormous margin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get Funkadelic
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaibrial,

Have you played Risk: Black Ops, Risk: Revised, or Risk: Halo Wars? These all play much faster than the classic Risk did.

If you want a very fast playing Risk type game, try Nexus Ops. Turtling and slow play is not only not rewarded, but is a surefire way to lose. It plays within your timeframe and downtime is ultra short.

...And the black light miniatures are way cool too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get Funkadelic
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't consider SmallWorld to be a Risk type game. It has a much different feel than Risk, and it's ilk, and I don't much like it either. Every time I play SmallWorld it seems 'samey' to all the other times I've played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Kikola
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZealotInATuxedo wrote:

Smallworld
Memoir 44
Viktory II
Nexus Ops

Nexus Ops is great. Not only do I think it would suit your tastes more, but all the cool little plastic aliens and soldiers would probably delight your brothers. Just make sure they're okay with a sci-fi, rather than historical, theme. And it's really not hard to find, though it is out of print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree that Nexus Ops is the droid you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just re-read the original post and saw the ages he mentioned. Can we just forget I mentioned Chaos in the Old World? Sorry about that... blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

Thirded. You really want Nexus Ops. It's out of print, but I think it's worth hunting down.

For what it's worth, I'll chip in with another Nexus Ops recommendation. I'm no economist but it consistently beats me how a highly regarded and relativly recent game like this goes OOP. Anyway - happy hunting if you *are* looking for a copy. As I type, there is a copy on eBay (item# 170457386677) for 50 USD. Probably end up a whole lot more, though.
shake

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Benny Golson - Groovin' with Golson
badge
Fall Back Down When I Die - Joe Wilkins
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were willing to play a three hour game, Dust would be perfect. At 75 minutes, Nexus Ops is the best answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaibrial Mc Kee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Comments on the shortlist:

Viktory II: They love the boats. Why doesn't RISK have cool boats like that? However, their Majesties dislike the "boring" map. Personally, I really like the "Vassal" game mechanic: I always thought that annhilating your opponents made for a less dynamic game. AND this fellow's an independent game developer? That's brilliant. However, I weep when I think of the cost to ship this thing over here... Any chance cool little frigates like this are sold separately somewhere else?

Small World: Once again, they dislike the map. Picky customers, yeh? AND there are no plastic men... I'd have to purchase about 50 euros worth of miniatures in order to get all the armies. I think the extra cost has just put Small World out of this race...

Memoir 44: I like the combat mechanics. So do they. But they would rather conquer a country than a battlefield. It also is not a "true" multiplayer experience as you're limited to 2 factions.

Nexus Ops: They like the map. They dislike the sci-fi theme. Sigh.

It seems that I may have to compromise. They're adamant about miniatures and a nifty map. I want some strategy. I always thought that a rock-paper-scissors (infantry-cavalry-artillery) battle mechanic might be interesting --y'know, like Napoleon In Europe.

If I could find some frigates somewhere, introduce Capitals, a Vassal system, reward Aggro, make the game shorter, and have a more dynamic battle system, then we'd be sucking diesel.

The Search continues!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.