Australia
Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EuroFront AAR (Northern Seaway)
Scenario : September 1939
Play testing Alternate Northern Seaway & 3 block stacking in MF
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/501299/tweaking-fortress...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/457007/a-modest-proposal
Date: 13/3/10 –
Allies – Paul, Axis – Patrick
Setup
Nothing unusual

September 39

Fortnight 1 - Axis blitz into northern Poland
start of allied turn -http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4429367922/

Fortnight 2
Axis blitz again, attack Warsaw directly and try to circle to the north. Axis is repulsed but almost take Warsaw through direct assault (1CV remaining). Poles remain in Nation supply. The end is nigh! Allies pass, Soviets rail units to Finnish Front
start of allied turn -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4428600703/

October 39
Political Actions: PP

Fortnight 1
Axis complete encirclement of Warsaw and Poland is conquered. Allies soviets don’t do anything worth noting.

Fortnight 2
Axis move up to the Curzon line. Soviets still sitting in Russia.
November 39
Political Actions: CL, PW
Fortnight 1 & 2: Axis send units west, nothing else happens

December 39
Political Actions: WW

Fortnight 1
Soviets blitz and clear the northern hex on the blitz combat round. Fins withdraw
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4428601925/

Fortnight 2
Soviets Blitz again, grind forward. Now adjacent to Helinkski. Finns offer armistice.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4429369008/

Jan 40
Political Actions: FR

Fortnight 1 & 2
All pass

Feb 39
Political Actions: S1 (fail)
Fortnights 1 & 2
everyone passes

March 40
Political Actions: s1 (fail), DS

Fortnight 1
Axis invade Norwary, Oslo & northern Norway hold out
start of allied turn -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4429369424/
Allies reinforce 2 units into northern Norway

Fortnight 2
Axis reinforce further units. Allies pass. Oslo is not attacked and can still trace National Supply, Allies go up 1 PP (for now).

April 40
Political Actions: s1 (fail)

Fortnight 1
Axis attack Oslo but roll horribly and it still holds out

Fortnight 2
Axis attacks Oslo again (with SHQ Airpower) and finally takes it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4428603305/

May 40
Political Actions: s1 (succeeds!!) Soviets now have 108PP saved

Fortnight 1
Axis D/W on low countries
Heavy losses on both sides, but the Axis take all their attacking hexes
(start of Axis 2nd Fortnight)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4428603799/

Fortnight 2
Axis attacked Brussel again, minor damage on both sides, but Brussels in now only held with 1CV of British Inf
French re-org line in anticipation of the hammer blow to come.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4428604321/

June 40
Political Actions: None

Fortnight 1
Axis take Brussels, French are demoralized. Nothing else happens in France.
Axis move further north into Finland. British engaged, but withdraw to Narvik

Fortnight 2
Axis blitz and attack the French line now, attacking right into all the French mech and taking heavy inf losses.
Finds only inf and lone arm step in the south. Reinforces attack in the south during the blitz phase, but the French line holds for now.
End of Axis turn
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4429371294/
Allies pull some French units out of the frontline, but not much else.

July 40
Political Actions: None

Fortnight 1
Axis blitz again attacking in the weaker southern part of the line, clearing the hex (barely).
British withdrawn from Belgium, back into France.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4428605267/

Fortnight 2
Axis blitz again in the south, attacking Paris directly. They take Paris during blitz combat. The Allies double activate AF to evacuate 2 units from France, leaving behind 1 ( due to lack of SHQ’s).
French attrite and then offered armistice . German accepts. Soviets pass.

August 40
Political Actions: SR (fails), IX

Fortnight 1
Axis moves units up north, but doesn’t attack solitarily British unit in France. Hitler really wants peace.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4429372242/

Fortnight 2
Axis activate to kill lone pesky Allied unit & attack in narvik.
Narvik defenders decimate the attackers, and the defender in france holds on at cadre strength.

September 40
Allies allocate 10PP to MF, Axis none
Political Actions: SR, RB

Fortnight 1
Axis rails East, kills last allied defender in France. Allies pass

Fortnight 2
Axis attack Narvik again, trade hits with Allies. Allies start shipping guys to MF

October 40
Allies allocate 15PP to MF
Political Actions: SR (fails), RX

Fortnight 1 & 2
Axis continue to buildup on Yugo border, Allies move units into Africa. Soviets shuffle.

November 40
Axis allocate 15PP to MF
Political Actions: GR, BX

Fortnight 1 & 2
Buildup in East & Med continues

December 40
Axis & Allies allocate 20PP to MF
Political Actions: YU (fails), YX (succeeds)

Fortnight 1
Axis invade create, rail units into Greece. Allies move unit forward in Africa

Fortnight 2
All pass.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4428606155/

January 41
Political Actions: S2 Fails

Fortnight 1
Axis pass, Allies move up near Tobruk.

Fortnight 2
Both pass

February 41
Political Actions: S2 (fails)

Fortnight 1
Mud continues , Allies attack tobruk (unsupported) advance deep into Libya. Axis bring forward reinforcements from Tripoli

Fortnight 2
Weather clears, Axis attack towards Greece (blitzing)
Allies bypass Tobruk and continue pushing into Libya.

March 41
Political Actions: S2 (fails)
Vassal connection fail, so we stopped here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for posting this.

Getting lucky in the Balkans (RX on the first turn, YX, getting Crete on the cheap) let me scrape together enough PP to mostly be ready for Barbarossa despite Narvik holding out.

Having naval parity after capturing Trondheim certainly helps, but my initial reaction is that the Fortress Narvik strategy might need even further weakening. Ideally, I would like Norway to play out like the Winter War does for the Soviets -- that is, if Germany makes a maximal effort (blitzes all its HQs in March), it will take Norway. That is unfortunately not the case under the current rules.

An idea I mentioned in a separate post (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/501299/tweaking-fortress...) is to have armor and mech units fire at SF in the north front and/or arctic zone. The rationale is that, just as tanks and mechanized units are more effective in the open desert (offensive rolls of TF and DF, respectively), they are less effective in frozen tundra and mountain. The only time this rule would come into play IMO, would be Fortress Narvik -- the Canadian Mech is one of only two mech units in the game that can operate in the arctic zone without penalty. The Germans would still have to grind the British down at Narvik but would have a lower chance of taking casualties themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Olsson
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
How do you supply the Norwegian unit in Narvik if Germany takes Trondheim on turn 1? Even with national supply intact, the Narvik unit should still be out of supply and reduced to 0 strength at the end of the German turn. There is no way for the allies to get allied units into Narvik in their first turn after the German invasion (cannot sea move into contested districts, 18.35), and on the second turn the Germans attack and automatically eliminate the now 0 strength Norwegian.
Any allied units in ports adjacent to Narvik are now susceptible to having their supply lines intercepted, and are generally in deep doo-doo.

Did I get something wrong? It seems to me that a fully supported German invasion of Norway is practically fail-safe, except for the risk of Oslo not falling immediately, which doesn't really matter since the allies can't get there anyway.

Thanks for the great AAR!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
How do you supply the Norwegian unit in Narvik if Germany takes Trondheim on turn 1? Even with national supply intact, the Narvik unit should still be out of supply and reduced to 0 strength at the end of the German turn. There is no way for the allies to get allied units into Narvik in their first turn after the German invasion (cannot sea move into contested districts, 18.35), and on the second turn the Germans attack and automatically eliminate the now 0 strength Norwegian.
Any allied units in ports adjacent to Narvik are now susceptible to having their supply lines intercepted, and are generally in deep doo-doo.

The standard Allied response in our games has been to sea invade one unit through the North and Norwegian Seas into Narvik before the Norwegian static is lost to attrition. You cannot sea move units into contested districts, but you can sea invade into them.

Even if the Axis have captured Trondheim, they only have a 1 in 6 chance of repulsing this move.

The Allies also sea move units into Namsos and and Tromso, build them up, and engage them as needed into Narvik.

Glad you are enjoying the AAR!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Lidholm
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of SF mech in the NF. The destructiveness of the Canadian mech is actually what I find to be the biggest problem, since it means that the germans will be severly weakened if they try to assault Narvik.

But I don't agree that a maximum german effort in march should more or less mean a certain success. There has to be a way to stand in Norway, and to make it more expensive for the germans. One of the main reasons Norway fell was a withdrawal of the allied troops following the invasion of France. Maybe there should be a limitation on Allied building of forces in Norway (only allowed during Phony war or after french defeat, to simulate the French unwillingness to send troops to the sideshow while they were being invaded). This would give the germans a chance to throw the allies out of Norway at a cost of lessened chances of success in France, but it won't be as impossible as it is today. I don't think this rule should be combined with either SF mech or the alternative seaway though, because that might weaken the strategy too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
But I don't agree that a maximum german effort in march should more or less mean a certain success. There has to be a way to stand in Norway, and to make it more expensive for the germans.

I agree. The Allies should be able to make Norway more expensive for the Germans, but right now there is a decent chance of shutting down the Germans completely by holding Narvik, which I don't agree with. Between additional mountain steps, Dietl activations, and the lost ore route, I've probably lost something like 75 PP over Narvik this game. If not for my luck in the Balkans, the game might be over because of one good roll by the Canadian Mech.

Glad you like the SF proposal. It looks like a simple change that would not probably impact other areas of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys,

Good thread.

Fortress Narvik was an issue right through the development of NorthFront. Various combinations for the length of the Northern Seaway, port/terrain/route at Tromso, and port/terrain/routes at Narvik were all tried. As suggested we wanted a balance where British intervention was viable (but not TOO).

Considering the costs (over 75 PPs to construct a maximal Fortress Narvik as described, plus 20 more PPs to rebuild the sacrificed cadres) and risks (possible repulses/hits) to the British at a time when building for France & the MF, BEF compete for resources, we accepted a pretty strong FN in the end. Certainly a big FN diminishes Allied abilities in those other 2 theatres, which has to be factored in to an evaluation. But holding a FN is very good for the Allies, agreed.

Granted that on occasion FN can endure many months even years, if early combat goes against the Germans as described. OTOH if it goes as well in the other direction, FN can disappear quickly despite the resources committed. But is the overall result balance wrong *on average* for the risks and resources expended? You are not the only players to think so, but I personally play to defend the MF first (and England of course), UNLESS the Germans try a minimalist Weser. It's good to be prepared!

Having the Northern Seaway end at the Norwegian Sea is a reasonable fix. It was actually suggested to me quite a while ago by Alex Aminoff (as this was the case for some while during playtesting). For obvious reasons I would prefer not to make map changes for play balance reasons.

Another idea that might work or at least help is to cancel Engaged Unit Rebuilding (at double cost) in Districts (while still allowing it in Regions). [The main reason for this rule was defending Murmansk, which would remain unaffected.]

This should reduce the possibility of a long-duration Fortress Narvik. German attackers can cheaply rotate in and out to rebuild in Namsos, while the Brits cannot afford the SHQ moves to do so especially after France falls. Dietl's constant 3DF airstrikes from Namsos should become even more telling with weaker unit strengths.

Thank you for your reports, analysis and suggestions. Please continue your experiments and let us know your conclusions (about MF 3-stacking also). I assume you are already using the corrected NF weather rules (always EF in the Arctic Zone) and are only allowing 2-stacking in Narvik.

Best, Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for your reply, Craig, and explaining some of the thought processes behind the current ruleset.

Quote:
Granted that on occasion FN can endure many months even years, if early combat goes against the Germans as described. OTOH if it goes as well in the other direction, FN can disappear quickly despite the resources committed. But is the overall result balance wrong *on average* for the risks and resources expended?

On average, the Germans will be able to grind FN down. My concern is that, in this case, on average seems to be too close to a 50-50 shot. Assume that the British do an all out FN strategy, and the Germans attack with their mountain corps at 3 CV each -- a pretty standard scenario in my games. The Canadian Mech at full strength has about a 40% chance of getting 2+ hits, not counting any hits the British INF get as well. One fairly lucky roll can reduce a mountain corps to cadre strength and make Narvik an uphill struggle for the Germans the rest of the game. Yes, the Germans can rotate units out of Narvik and rebuild -- but how many PP can they spend on Narvik without crippling their Barbarossa chances?

The second point I would make is that the Germans have a lot more riding on Norway than the Allies do. The Germans need a reasonably efficient Norway campaign to have a shot at winning the game in the long run. Conversely, the Allies will not lose the game in Norway. It is a nice sideshow to distract the Germans, but the units and PP sent there are expendable. So while the Germans will on average defeat a FN, it is still a nice proposition bet for the Allies. The worst case scenario for them is that the game proceeds on roughly historical lines; the best case scenario is that the Germans are crippled. I would take that chance as the Allies in a competitive game, even if the odds were (for example) 2-1 against me.

Did you have any thoughts about armor/mech firing at SF in the north front? I have not tried a game with that proposal, but it seems like a clean and realistic fix. As you indicated, things can snowball once one side gets the upper hand in Narvik. The Canadian Mech firing at SF would hopefully give the odds a little shove in the German direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Mech SF/SF in NF
It certainly would have the effect you desire in FN: less likely to deliver a devastating blow to the German mtn units.

I make the current chances of 4+ hits less than 10% (4DF + 3SF).

With SF mech, that drops to less than 2% but leaves an equal 10% chance of 3+ hits (which would leave the German mts at 2+1 cv).

I accept your point (really) but still wonder about the overall balance thing. It seems like you have focused in on this strategy in your games. Not saying you are wrong, but we do need to check out the big picture here. Is this *massive* effort in Norway making the Allies too vulnerable in the MF (/England) is the question. That could be a dangerous tradeoff even granting the power of FN.

That said, mech SF/SF in the NF is a sensible fix (as is ending the Northern Seaway short as suggested). I have no real objection to either. But I do like to be conservative about making changes -- too many of them have had to be reversed later!

Originally when I made the Canadians NF units, I had in mind the proposed Operation Jupiter landings in northern Norway in the late war (the Canadian corps were the units to be involved). Both corps had an armor division, which makes them mech in this system. At one point in development they only became NF Expeditions beginning 2F but that was dropped for simplicity. How about just reinstating that rule? It would really weaken the Allied response in the north, but I don't know of any hint that the Allies ever intended to use 2Cdn cps in Norway 1940.

Glad you're enjoying the game, you're obviously getting good at it,

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Is this *massive* effort in Norway making the Allies too vulnerable in the MF (/England) is the question. That could be a dangerous tradeoff even granting the power of FN.

I agree, and doubt that building the engaged Canadian Mech ("CM") up for 18 PP/step is worth it. The initial commitment, however, is 18 PP to get the CM to full strength, part of an SHQ activation to ship it over, 9 PP to replace the acclimatization step, and another partial activation to move it to Narvik -- say around 35-40 PP (depending on how you calculate the SHQ activations). That is not cheap, but it seems the Allies can take safe shortcuts (like not building the French armor steps) to get around the investment.

Quote:
But I do like to be conservative about making changes -- too many of them have had to be reversed later!

I agree completely, and will be the first to admit that this thread was partially inspired by me just having bad luck at Narvik a couple of games in a row.

Quote:
Originally when I made the Canadians NF units, I had in mind the proposed Operation Jupiter landings in northern Norway in the late war (the Canadian corps were the units to be involved). Both corps had an armor division, which makes them mech in this system. At one point in development they only became NF Expeditions beginning 2F but that was dropped for simplicity. How about just reinstating that rule? It would really weaken the Allied response in the north, but I don't know of any hint that the Allies ever intended to use 2Cdn cps in Norway 1940.

That is a really neat idea. My only question is, would the British be able to do a pre-emptive Norwegian invasion in 1940 without the CM?

In case you're interested, the Allied player said he didn't think having the northern seaway end at Trondheim was that big of a deal. Because units en route to Egypt have to stop at South Africa anyway, he actually had turns with extra SHQ moves and no use for them. So if we try another playtesting game after this one, it will probably involve SF armor/mech in the NF or your revised 2F.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lags
Australia
Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
In case you're interested, the Allied player said he didn't think having the northern seaway end at Trondheim was that big of a deal. Because units en route to Egypt have to stop at South Africa anyway, he actually had turns with extra SHQ moves and no use for them. So if we try another playtesting game after this one, it will probably involve SF armor/mech in the NF or your revised 2F.

Just to clarify this one, the extra SHQ moves was in the previous game where i still had Naval supremacy.

In the current game with northern seaway ending at Trondheim, and thus without naval supremacy i'm not wasting any SHQ moves. The flip side is that having Naval supremacy basically kills Sealion, which means that units in Narvik help defend a 40 Sealion much more than they could ever in England itself. I think its necessary to keep the change in vaval supremacy to put sealion back in the game (although still unlikely).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys,

I think the SeaLion argument clinches if for me (in addition to the cheap shipping to the MF) -- I agree. Let's play it that way for now and I will have to make the change next update if no further complications arise.

Fortress Narvik as -5 PPs to the Axis (OreSea) still remains to consider. If Brits commit the 40 PPs (+40 more later to rebuild the sacrificed units), they can deny the Germans 5 PPs for 6 months or so (beyond August, when a lesser-defended FN normally falls), and cost them another 40 or so in THQ burns/losses. Doesn't seem like THAT good a tradeoff to me, considering the 40 PPs now DO weaken England and the MF.

In short: is Mech SF/DF in the NF still a problem under those conditions?

Thoughts, gentlemen?

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Craig,

Quote:
If Brits commit the 40 PPs (+40 more later to rebuild the sacrificed units), they can deny the Germans 5 PPs for 6 months or so (beyond August, when a lesser-defended FN normally falls), and cost them another 40 or so in THQ burns/losses.

Agreed, but if the Narvik garrison lasts into October, east front weather precludes the Germans from attacking again until the summer of 1941. One other thing I would consider is the timing of the PP loss. The Germans are losing PP at a crucial moment in the game for them, but the Allies can rebuild their north front units in 1943 or so, when there are plenty of Allied PP available.

Quote:
Doesn't seem like THAT good a tradeoff to me, considering the 40 PPs now DO weaken England and the MF.

Agreed. In hindsight, maybe it was a mistake to plow ahead with a Barbarossa buildup in my current game instead of trying a med front strategy.

Quote:
In short: is Mech SF/DF in the NF still a problem under those conditions?

IMO, it solves the problem with respect to the British. If they invest a lot of PP in a FN they now run the risk of a Sea Lion or med front campaign. I think a problem still remains with respect to a Barbarossa, which is the most cost-intensive of the strategic options Germany can pursue following the Fall of France. The Germans just do not have enough PP IMO to build up for Barbarossa and pacify the Balkans while grinding down FN (especially if RX is slow in coming).

I would sum up the ideas that have been discussed in this thread as follows:

Altered Northern Seaway

Pros: (1) Simple change to implement; and (2) the British, if not the Soviets, face the consequences of over investing in FN.

Cons: (1) Existing northern seaway is labeled on the map; and (2) FN could still result in disproportionate PP losses for the Germans (killing Barbarossa chances).

Armor/Mech @ SF in the Arctic Zone

Pros: (1) Another simple change; (2) lowered chances of damage to the German mountain corps (which is the real killer, at 8 PP/step); and (3) encourages the British to intervene around Bergen (in the temperate zone) if they want to get the most out of the Canadian Mech unit (instead of automatically going for a FN).

Cons: (1) Will not have a big impact in terms of Sea Lion/med front shipping.

2F Needed for Canadian Mechs to be NF Expeditions

Pros: (1) Does the most to stop FN; (2) forces the British to make a real sacrifice for more than a token intervention in Norway, like holding Bergen and landing several NF aliens; and (3) is probably the most historically accurate option.

Cons: (1) Slightly more confusing than the other two proposals; and (2) the most far reaching proposed change, which could have unintended consequences.

Anyway, those are my two cents. Personal preference is armor/mech at SF in the arctic zone, which does more than the altered northern seaway but less than the 2F proposal. While adopting two or more these proposals would probably be overkill, I think any one would be a change for the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bergström
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
A good and necessary discussion, IMHO. We've had some ten games or so now, and whenever the allies invested heavily in the NF (the last three or four games) the axis had severe trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lags
Australia
Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Part 2

March 41
Fortnight 1
Axis withdraw in MF, forming a line at El Agheila, Blitz in Greece taking Agrinion and engaging Athens.
Allies turn around and attack Tobruk killing the static defending.
Fortnight 2
Axis blitz again in Greece attacking Athens, taking it during the blitz phase.
Allies pass.

Aprils 41
Political Actions : S2 (fails)

Fortnight 1
Axis move units East, Allies pass

Fortnight 2
All pass

May 41
Political Actions : S2 (fails)

Fortnight 1
Mud in the East
Axis move forward to retake bengazi, nothing else much happens.

Fortnight 2
Mud again
Axis shuffle, Stavka activates and makes a second line along the Dvina river

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4447978410/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4447979122/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4447206119/

June 41
Political Actions : S2 (fails) that is 6 fails for s2

Fortnight 1
Barbarossa begins, germans blitz in north destroying the soviet line mostly. Normal activation in south, clearing most of the line. In blitz phase the germans rush forward and cross the river with a mech. Germans attack Narvik trading a hit.
Soviet turn they blitz in the north and attack the lone mech who has crossed the river with 4 arm units killing it. No other activations.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4447980496/

Fortnight 2
Germans attack normally in north and south, crossing the river where the mech died again. Move units up to the line. Attack in the south come up against a HQ(2) and Inf(3). With 2 arm & mech & Airstrikes, only scores 2 hits so the HQ gets away (no german blitz on EF this fortnight).
Germans attack in the Med, blitzing Rommel. Attack go ok doing 3 hits each side, however lack of units to guarantee supply lines forces germans to withdraw during blitz phase. Lines remain the same.
Soviets activate Stavka and move units to river line in the south.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4447207667/

July 41
S2 Succeed (YAH!), FL (fail)
Russians receive build all dead inf & their SR reinforcements – the red tide begins.

Fortnight 1
Germans activate normally in EF, NF & MF
Germans withdraw to El Agheila in Med. NF attack fails again, germans taking 2 losses in process.
Germans cleaning up already engaged hexes clearing all the hexes.
Allies advance up to El Agheila. Soviets shuffle units into a line

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4447208373/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4447982608/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4447983344/

Fortnight 2
Germans activate EF crossed southern Dnepr and repulsed in the centre, advance in the north towards Leningrad and engage Riga.
Soviets vacant Riga and put some units in the north OOS, move units to block germans in the south.

August 41
Policital: FL
Fortnight 1
Germans Blitz in EF (north), activate normally in southern Russia
Crossing the river in Central Russia and advancing further towards Leningrad. Making sure to re-establish supply.
However, they do take a risk in Southern Russia , advancing beyond their supply lines (banking on taking a combat hex to put themselves back into supply). Supply situation in south is very dicey for Germans
Germans get across the river in the south and clear 2 hexes in central Russia. Critical combat hex is cleared so supply is restored for now.
In blitz phase, crosses the river again in Centra Russia and engages forests in the north.
Soviets withdraw in the North to Forest near Russia. Cutoff supply to forward units in the south.
Allies move up more units in the Med.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4447984200/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4447985010/

Fortnight 2
Activates normally in EF, NF & Med.
Germans are in danger of being flanked so pull back towards Tripoli.
Germans advance deep into Central Russia engaging Bryansk. Germans clear u there supply lines in the south.
Allies/Soviets pass

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4447985672/

September 41
Political : HX

Fortnight 1
Germans attack Norway killing 1more step for no loss.
In russia Germans take Bryansk, engage Kharkov, Odessa, Dnep. takes resources in Ukraine Guards Inf in Odessa kills its 2nd Infantry unit (not step).
Russia withdraws in the south and centre. Allies advance in the Med

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4447212571/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4447213141/

Fortnight 2
Germany activate in Russia (north & south) engaging Stalino and crossing the river to the east of it. Supply is again a problem for the Germans as there are enemy units in all the major cities of the Ukraine. Engage hex south east of Leningrad
Axis continue to withraw in good order in the Med.
Soviet double activate Stavka and cut supply to german spearhead, forming a new line on the Don

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4447213879/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4447214527/

October 41
No DE’s

Fortnight 1: Weather EF : Fine
Germans finally takes Narvik. Blitz’s in northern & southern Russia.Rolls well and clears the guards Inf and Arm in hex SE of Leningrad and fixing supply problems in the south. All the Ukraine production is now German.
Soviets rail more troops to put Leningrad back in supply for now, continues to build line the south.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4447988926/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4447215805/

Fortnight 2:
Fortnight 2: Weather EF : Fine.
Blitz in the south again, activates OKH (for second time) to cut Leningrad off again.
Engages Rostov, rolls badly and fails to take.
Soviets pass, Allies pass

November 41
No DE’s
Fortnight 1: Weather EF : Snow, WF : Clear
Soviets shuffle guys in the south. Axis do the same. Both sides pass in Med.
Fortnight 2: Weather EF : Mud WF: Mud
Everyone passes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fotress Narvik fell to much fanfare in October 1941.

Off the top of my head, it cost Germany somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 PP -- ore interdiction from March 1940 to October 1941 is 100 PP just by itself. Ironically, the effects of this are being felt in the med front right now. Because I needed every shortcut in the book to be ready for Barbarossa, I didn't put any PP into the med until November 1940. The Italians were thus even weaker than usual and I could not advance the arrival of the Afrika HQ, putting the Axis med front forces at a disadvantage from the start.

Another thing I noticed is that the Finns are useful in combating a prolonged FN. Playing the Finnish Limited War DE let the Finns engage the backup British unit in Tromso. Without that, FN would have lasted even longer. Unfortunately, this means that if the Germans respond to a FN by trying a Sea Lion or med front campaign, FL might not happen until much later (depending on when the Soviets mobilize), making FN even stronger...

Notwithstanding all the FN discussion, the Germans had a pretty good Barbarossa -- Leningrad cut off, the Ukraine taken, and Rostov engaged. Surviving the coming winter should be no problem...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lags
Australia
Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
famous last works

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lags
Australia
Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Part 3

December 41

No DE’s

Fortnight 1
Axis blitz in the Med attacking lone Allied Mech. Fail to kill and withdraw in blitz phase. Soviets move up to German units.
Allies blitz in med and counter-attack.

Fortnight 2
Allies attack again clearing northern hex. Their HQ is now at 0 CV however. All pass on EF.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4482698270/

Jan 42

No DE’s

Fortnight 1
Soviets Rail troops into North & South. Germans reinforce. Both sides pass in Med.

Fortnight 2
Soviets attack in centre, trading hits with the german defenders. Germans withdraw and move more units to defend south.
Allies withdraw from southern hex in Med.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4482698904/

Feb 42

Fortnight 1
Soviets Rail more units into centre and attack same hex unsupported (clearing it)
Germans
Attack and put the British spearhead out of supply (but they themselves are out of supply) battle of attrition begins

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4482050489/

Fortnight 2
Soviets give up the offensive and pass
Germans withdraw, however the allies are still out of supply (due to ZOC) and attrite again.
Allies withdraw during their turn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4482051087/

Mar 42

Mud in East

Fortnight 1
Germans move units to Leningrad.
Soviets & Allies pass

Fortnight 2

Mud again
Germans pass, Soviets start to move units into defensive positions

April 42

Mud everywhere

Fortnight 1 & 2
Russians continue to withdraw, Germans advance in 2nd fortnight

May 42

Fortnight 1
Mud: Relieved soviet player withdraws more units to defensive position
Germans player advanced in Centre

Fortnight 2

Clear:
Germans attack Leningrad (blitz), Centre and South
Get slaughtered in Leningrad, destroy 2 Inf units in the Centre and take hits in the south.
Withdraw from Leningrad in Blitz phase
Soviets withdraw from southern hex forming a stronger line on river in both South and Centre

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4482700814/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4482052455/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4482702148/

June 42
Political : 2F (fails)

Fortnight 1:
Germans attack in Central Russia and Blitz in the Med attacking the British. Germans clear the hex NE of Rostov and cross the river north of Vorenzh, but are repulsed south of it.They also roll horribly on the blitz phase and fail to clear the hex in the Med. The Med was very precarious for the allies there until the german roll, they could have been fleeing back to Eygpt.
Soviets & allies reinforce their respective lines

Fortnight 2
Germans try to flank the Vor. Defensive line, crossing the river in the south. Taking the hex during the blitz phase. Shuffle troops in the med.
Russians activate in in the centre and block the breakthrough.

July 42

Political : 2F (fails)

Fortnight 1
Germans try the direct approach and smash directly into the biggest Russian stack they can find along with Vor. Run into a wall of mech & arm. However the Russians roll terrible and only do 1 hit for 5 in return. Germans rolls well in the blitz phase and do another 5 hits for no damage. Clearing the hex.
Russians rail more units in to fill the line.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4482702846/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4482054269/

Fortnight 2
Germans push forward in the central, and attack towards sevestapol in the south of Russia.
Run into a stack of Shock & Arm take 6 hits for doing 1 hit. A attempted river crossing to the North West of Mikhalylovska is repulsed.
Clears cadre mech in the way of sevestapol
Russians counter-attack hex East of Vor. With shock and arm inflicting heavy losses on the germans and clearing the hex during the blitz phase. The germans have lost 2 inf and 2 arm.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4482704004/

August 42

Political 2F succeeds

Fortnight 1
Allies shuffle troops on the frontlines in the Med.
Germans counterattack in central Russia trying to get revenge on the arm & shock. Trading hits with Russians. They attack Sevastapol inflicting 2 full hits (8 hits in total).

During the blitz phase the germans cycle more troops into meatgrinder in Central Russia trading more hits but killing 2 units and reducing the arm to Cadre.
Captures Sevastapol during blitz phase cheaply (only 2 losses).
Russians reinforce battle hex and central front (taking from south & north) and pass in the Med.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4482056737/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4482057313/

Fortnight 2
Germans blitz and reinforce battle hex and attack Vor again. Fails to inflict much damage on Vor, but inflicts heavily losses on battle hex to east. Clearing hex in blitz phase (revenge is served)
Russians double activate Stavka withdraw from around Vor. Leaving the city garrison to die a glorious death.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48312512@N05/4482707190/

Soviet/Allied player thoughts on Winter '41: I've always highly valued the soviet winter counterattack however its been a while since i've seen such a balance situation in the East. Going into this game I thought barring a disastarous situation for the Soviets it was always worth the soviets doing something in the winter just to burn expensive German HQ steps. I've changed my mind after this game though, the ability to just activate OKH in Berlin and use WF PP's (but still burning Soviet PP's by attacking) makes me think unless there is a good chance to really put the hurt on the Germans that there is little point and you are just hurting the Soviets in the Summer 42. A shame as this is such a big change from EF only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan de Marco
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exciting, it still can go either way. Good AAR!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting and well-written aar. But it would be nice if the pictures were actually shown instead of the links.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lags
Australia
Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree but to do that means they have to through bgg approval process. My latest batch of images I tried this and a few were rejected as being too similar.

I've been a but slack and have the reports until winter 43 to post, I'll try to get To it this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lags
Australia
Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
finally got around to finishing off this AAR, enjoy

September 42

Political : 3R (succeeds)
Fortnight 1: Allies ship the SHQ out.
Germans moving troop up around Vor into the hexes abandoned by the soviets.

Soviets pass
Fortnight 2
Allies pass
Germans shuffle troops in Norway and attack the combat hex in the Med. Inflicting 3 losses for 1 hit.

Soviets pass

October 42

Political XR
Fortnight 1
Clear in the East
Allies withdraw in the Med leaving a sacrificial unit to slow the german offensive.
Axis blitz in the Med attacking the lone unit, blitz in the central russia attacking Vor. And shuffling line. Fails to inflict a single hit on Vor (8 1’s out of 17 dice, only ½ hit) but clears the hex in the south.
Withdraw in the Med during the blitz phase. Attacking Vor again during blitz phase.
Soviets & Allies pass
Fortnight 2
Mud in the East
All pass

November 42

Political: XR (fails)
Fortnight 1
Mud East
Torch begins landing in Algiers and Oran. Algierian unit surrenders but Oran holds on. Allies decline to place a beachhead and instead take a step loss due to Oran unit being out of supply.
Axis reinforce North Africa, nothing happens on East Front
Fortnight 2
Mud East
Allies put Marine back into supply, Vicky france surrenders.

Soviets activate stavka and rail units into in the Centre preparing to attack

December 42

Political XR succeeds
Fortnight 1
Allies reinforce North Africa, Soviets attack in the centre

In blitz phase, add more units into existing battle and engages forest hex NW.
Soviets continue to poorly in both battles only inflicting minor damage.
Germans withdraw in south and centre, reinforce North Africa.

Fortnight 2
Soviets attack in North, engages Vor and advance in south.
Clears hex in south but just trades hits in north and Vor.
Allies pass
Germans shuffle units in North Africa, continue to withdraw in Central Russia, leaving Vor defender to its fate.

Jan 43

Political
Fortnight 1
Soviets continue to grind in the northern forest, blitz in the south and surround Vor in the North.
Clears hex in the north and combat in the south is almost bloodless, only 1 hit in the normal phase, no hits in the blitz phase.

Allies ship another unit to Med and AF moves to Gibraltar.
Germans continue to withdraw in good order in the Centre. Advance in the Med

Fortnight 2
Soviets rail some units north and continue to attack in the south, arm finally does some damage and clears the hex.
Allies shuffle in the desert.
Germans shuffle in Med & Southern Russia

Feb 43

Fortnight 1
Soviets build a new line along the abondaned hexes and rail units north near Moscow. British blitz in the Med coming up against static units. British roll horribly and only score 2 hits during normal phase.

But kill them during the blitz phase.
German unit in Vor. Finally dies due to attrition.
Germans rail units north in Russia, withdraw back towards Tripoli in the Med.
Fortnight 2
Limited soviet attack in the south into Stalino, soviets take 3 hits for no return.
In the desert germans rail units to face the advancing Americans

Mar 43

Fortnight 1
Weather EF : Mud
Allies advance towards Tripoli
Germans attack the Americans in the West

Killing 1 unit and cadring the other.

Soviets pass
Fortnight 2
Weather Snow
Allies try to retreat cadre unit but it gets killed by german armour, take abandoned Tripoli. Soviets finishing building a line in central Russia.
Germans pass in East

April 43

Fortnight 1
Allies withdraw away from Germans in the Algeria, and attack in Libya killing 0 static
Germans shuffle in the Med
Everyone passes on the East
Fortnight 2
Allies pass
Germans shuffle, soviets pass

May 43

Soviets save

Fortnight 1
Allies pass
Germans attack Leningrad trading a hit.
Soviets counterattack in the north

Fortnight 2
Weather: Mud
Leningrad mandatory combat continues, 1 more german hit.
Soviets pass

June 43

Political: SA (soviet buildup)
Fortnight 1
Allies attack in Med killing a Italian mech and Inf
Germans attack Leningrad again
Rolling well inflicting 7 hits in total, Leningrad falls in the blitz phase.
Blitzs in the desert attacking the allies, inflicting heavy losses cadring arm & mech and killing british inf.

Soviets clear combat hex and shuffle.
Fortnight 2

Allies reinforce combat hex but do not attack. They also ship an alien into Algiers
Germans move units out of Leningrad and attack again in the Med.

Inflict 2 hits for 1 in return.
Soviets attack in the centre
Germans do 5 hits for 2 in return for both combats
In Blitz phase, soviets cycle new units in, soviets get massacred in northern combat.

July 43

DE: Soviet SB succeeds (first time), FX fails
Fortnight 1: Allies counter attack in the desert rolling well and killing the German attacking force in the desert during the blitz phase. Allies player is feeling much better.

Germans attack in north and blitz in the centre counter attacking against the weakened Soviets , clearing the hex in the blitz phase.
Soviets counter attack into the grinder (blitzing)
Heavy losses on both sides but the Germans barely hold both hexes.
Fortnight 2
Allies shuffle troops in the med but do not press attack yet.
Germans withdraw in the north and form a second line in the centre, leaving behind some sacrificial troops. Rostov is abandoned after a 2 year siege. German units start shipping back to Italy.
Soviets attack in the north and centre, doing minimal damage in the north but clearing the sacrificial units.

August 43

DE: FX succeeds
Allies attack heavily in the Med

Clearing the hex SE of Tunis
Germans pass in West, shuffle in the East
Soviets attack in the north and blitz in the south attacking Kharkov and trying to cross the river to its SE. Getting across with some damage. Soviets cadre Kharkov defenders during the blitz phase.
Fortnight 2
Allies engage Tunis (very late) remaining afrika forces start to attrite.
Germans blitz and attack the soviet bridgehead clearing the hex, reinforce Kharkov.
Soviet blitz and attack Kharkov again, it holds on with 1 cadre unit.

Setptember 43

Allies attack Tunis and try to finish off the med front, only scores a single hit. MedFront continues.
Germans reinforce Kharkov again and shuffle troops.
Soviets launch another big attack into the centre line of the Germans, running straight into the newly formed SS units.

Soviets get chewed up but manage to inflict some losses on the Germans.
Fortnight 2
Allies forced to activate again in the Med but finally take out Tunis (although it was close). MF victory finally only 4 months late.
Germans blitz in the centre attacking the northern combat hex, cadring the soviets for no loss. Declining to attack to stuff the Soviet player up for stacking.
Soviets blitz in centre withdraw 3 cadre units from the battle hex and reinforce southern battle hex. The meat grinder continues. Germans are cadred in the blitz phase.

October 43
Overdue invasion of Italy begins with the capture of the Palermo. Germans withdraw west to form a better defensive line.
Soviets follow the Germans.

Fortnight 2
EF weather clear again
Allies invade Sardinia but are repulsed, reinvade during blitz phase – cannot kill the unit though. Germans units.
Soviets move units north, near Leningrad.

November 43

Fortnight 1
EF weather Mud, WF fine
Allies capture Cagliari port, fail surrender roll

Starting using picasa here so image quality will improve (thank you Google)

Axis react to northern soviet movements by garrisoning Leningrad
EF weather Snow, WF fine
Allies attack into northern Sardinia running into Italian statics and inf. Fail to capture either port.

Soviets attack across the rivers in the centre and near Leningrad. Clearing the hex next to Leningrad but failing to breakthrough in the centre.

Germans forced to react in the East withdrawing from the soviet menace

Dec 43
Fortnight 1
Soviets blitz in the centre

Fail to inflict a hit on Bryansk in the blitz phase but do serious damage in the other battle hex to the west.
Germans pass in the West pull back in East (centre)
Fortnight 2
Americans capture Sassari killing the Italian but rolled their 4th 6 for Italian surrender.
Soviets attack again in the centre crossing the river to the north and clearing Bryansk & combat hex to the west.
Germans do a minor shuffle in the east.

Jan 44

Fortnight 1
Soviet continue to attack in the centre, blitzing

Combats are is very attritional, Soviets roll well but Germans roll very well
Allies shuffle troops. Italians surrender, Fruli Italian pops up in Crete
Germans continue to withdraw but attack the soviet crossing locations.

Fortnight 2
Soviets blitz in the north, continue to attack normally in the centre. Cadre’s inf in the north during blitz phase and clears all three combat hexes in the centre.

Allies pass.
Germans fortify their new line in the East.

Feb 44

Greece revolt (fails)
Fortnight 1
WF : Mud
Soviets blitz in the north attack along the line.

Line is hinged on lone 1 factor mech, soviets kill and break through and putting the line north of Orsha out of supply. Soviets shock army runs into SS mech in the north , soviets roll terribly and only inflict minimal damage. Allies pass.

Germans withdrawn in the centre of Russia and pass in the West
Fortnight 2
WF : Clear
Soviets blitz in south, crossing the river in 2 spots. Running into full strength SS arm. Combat is bloody but the soviets force a bridgehead in both locations.
Allies invade southern france and Greece. Allies hit a fotress unit and are repulse, get ashore with heavy losses during the blitz phase.
Germans block invasion in France, and withdrawn in the south

Mar 44

Fortnight 1
EF: Snow
Soviets advance in the north. Allies reinforce Greece and southern france. Both countries revolt
Germans withdraw in the East
Fortnight 2
EF snow again
Soviets attack Minsk and in the south (blitzing). Not germans between soviets and Koningsberg. However worse comes in the south where the Soviets clear the southern hex during the normal phase (killing two 2 factor armour). In blitz phase engage 2 german HQ’s in the south - Clears the combat hex but fails to inflict a loss on the german HQ’s.
Germans try to reinforce but situation is hopeless. GG

@ Game's end

The Ukraine

France

Greece

Central Russia (ouch!)

North

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.