Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias Meckel
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Last December, when I was in China, I saw this Chinese version of Kutschfahrt zur Teufelsburg and could not resist buying it. I have no doubt that this version is unofficial and no money whatsoever has gone to the authors, but I still bought it as I wanted to know how good the quality would be. I assume the original cards have been scanned, so that the German text could be removed and be replaced with Chinese text. The cards are rather thin and the quality isn't very good, which I is probably more because of the less than perfect settings when scanning and editing the original cards and not because of the printing equipment. The cards sold for RMB 28 (currently € 3, £ 2.70, $ 4.10), but I am sure you can get them cheaper.

There should be three photos in this post. If you cannot see all of them the photos were not approved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a testament to your Geek cred that you recognized this for what it was. So what's your assessment? Are you glad you bought it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zork yuan
msg tools
i got them by 7RMB
F*K version

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boon Kai Keefe Pang
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, there a lot more fake games in China as of now.

From the top of my head, I can list the following:

1) Carcassonne
2) Settlers of Catan
3) Die Kutschfahrt zur Teufelsburg
4) Saboteur
5) Chinese version of Ticket to Ride
6) Kakerlaken Poker
7) Ice Flow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dechao Liu
China
flag msg tools
I bought this version in 2008, RMB 75...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wenda Hu
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There're at least 30 games which now have "fake version" in China, mostly card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Wai-kit FUNG
Hong Kong
Mongkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
as a chinese people, i really feel ashamed. i personally respect intellual property very much and i don't care about price any much. if it's too pricely, i am just not deserved to own it.

btw, not all, but most of these fake version produced with rather low quality. it specially happens with cards. sometimes it is quite disgusting to see fake versions are being sold at regular price, as they pretend they are official versions, or not telling you they are faked if you are not a geek.

besides faked versions, there are quite so sellers illegally buy spill-over games from manufacturers and claim these are OEM versions. what... OEM!!!

well, i don't strongly oppose to buying and playing faked versions. but i just try to encourage others respecting intellual property rights by its nature (not just by law).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zero Zombie
China
Beijing
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Think I paid about 8 yuan for this on taobao.

Just checked, and I've got 36 games in my cabinet now, all purchased from taobao. They range from very light card games like For Sale (pretty bad quality, but only cost 7 yuan), to heavy games like Caylus (excellent quality, 58 yuan). There are dozens more I plan to get over the next few months. The games cost about 1/5 of what the games would cost (used, no less) in the US.

I have no idea about if the games are produced and/or sold under license. I suspect most are not. Could care less.

Collectively I think board game designers around the world should be thrilled that boardgaming is taking off in China. Rethemed Bang! (Sanguosha) I reckon must be one of the most played boardgames in the world at the moment. (In what other country do you commonly hear references to a boardgame on TV shows? Germany maybe?) Designers are not going to make a great deal of money from the China market anytime soon, but is that what really motivates them?

In terms of respecting 'intellectual property rights', I'll have no truck with it. Nothing more than a fetter on the means of gaming. Quite ripe that developed countries are preaching it, since most of them flagrantly violated IP when they were developing. See http://www.amazon.com/Kicking-Away-Ladder-Development-Perspe... for this argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Hung
China
Tianjin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, assume this being promotional fees in China. Give it for free, and people know how to play them, and then consider some other channels to market it--it won't be easy, but some outstanding games might still be able to figure things out.

Can any of this beat the king of games in China--Mahjong? If you consider the population, the sum of all gamers in China who played all other games is still far below the no. of Mahjong players. And this game is very likely to survive 500 years more (already passed 500 years since its previous generation called Madiao).

Does Mahjong have copyright? No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.