Subject: +X Coins Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Ames
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I pretty certain I already know they answer to this, but since I got into an argument about it once, I'd like to see if anyone else has come across this.

Whenever someone played a card with +X money, instead of simply adding that to her buying power for the turn, she claimed that she was able to gain a treasure card of that value. Every time she played Militia, she gained a Silver. If she played a Moneylender, she trashed a Copper and gained a Gold.

So what's correct?

She also insisted that she got 2 cards when playing a Moat in reaction to an attack, drew a Secret Chamber, revealed it, discarded the other six cards in her hand and gained two Gold cards!

I told her this was incorrect and got screamed. What was amazing was that she was teaching the game to new players.

You don't gain treasure cards this way do you?
(Yes, I know its a silly question, but I would like the answer to be stated.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anytime you gain a card, the word "gain" is used. Thus, "+2" money is not "gaining" money. You do not gain cards in this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Snow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
txras wrote:
I pretty certain I already know they answer to this, but since I got into an argument about it once, I'd like to see if anyone else has come across this.

Whenever someone played a card with +X money, instead of simply adding that to her buying power for the turn, she claimed that she was able to gain a treasure card of that value. Every time she played Militia, she gained a Silver. If she played a Moneylender, she trashed a Copper and gained a Gold.

So what's correct?

Your interpretation is correct. It's just virtual coin that adds to your buying power for this turn.

Quote:
She also insisted that she got 2 cards when playing a Moat in reaction to an attack, drew a Secret Chamber, revealed it, discarded the other six cards in her hand and gained two Gold cards!

You can reveal a Moat during someone else's turn to keep an Attack played by them from affecting you. You do not draw cards then. You can play a Moat during your turn to draw two cards.

What you can do is reveal both a Moat and a Secret Chamber in response to the same attack. You can even reveal a Moat you drew with a Secret Chamber. Naturally though, she's completely wrong about discarding six cards and gaining two Golds. I don't even see how she could arrive at that idea.

Try to make her read the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say:

Quote:
"+X (coins)" – the player has X number of additional coins to spend in the Buy phase. The player does not take additional Treasure cards for these coins.

Seems pretty clear to me.

ETA: Oh, I missed the Moat/Secret Chamber question. The part above the line is what you do as an Action. The part below the line is what you do as a Reaction. The Reaction ability follows the text, "When another player plays an Attack card,..." On Moat, there's nothing that says you draw two cards after another player plays an Attack card, so you can't do that.

The rules say what happens when you reveal a Moat and what happens when you play it as an Action. They don't explicitly say, "You can't reveal the Moat when someone plays Attack card to draw two cards," but they also don't say that kind of thing for any other card. The Reaction ability is only what the Reaction ability says it is, not anything else.

With Secret Chamber, it's the same idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ames
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Planetary wrote:
txras wrote:

So what's correct?

Your interpretation is correct. It's just virtual coin that adds to your buying power for this turn.

Quote:

You can reveal a Moat during someone else's turn to keep an Attack played by them from affecting you. You do not draw cards then. You can play a Moat during your turn to draw two cards.

What you can do is reveal both a Moat and a Secret Chamber in response to the same attack. You can even reveal a Moat you drew with a Secret Chamber. Naturally though, she's completely wrong about discarding six cards and gaining two Golds. I don't even see how she could arrive at that idea.

Try to make her read the rulebook.

I did. I even read it to her. She said since it was her game, we would play by her rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
txras wrote:
She said since it was her game, we would play by her rules.

Dude, that's just a problem with your friend. You can't fix that. You can direct her to this thread and show her that she's wrong, but if the rulebook didn't convince her, this thread isn't going to either.

I'd say you should either play with her messed-up rules or, preferably, don't play with her at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ames
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
LastFootnote wrote:
txras wrote:

Dude, that's just a problem with your friend. You can't fix that. You can direct her to this thread and show her that she's wrong, but if the rulebook didn't convince her, this thread isn't going to either.

I'd say you should either play with her messed-up rules or, preferably, don't play with her at all.

I do agree. But I wouldn't call her a friend...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
txras wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:
txras wrote:

I do agree. But I wouldn't call her a friend...

Yeah, and if I were you, I wouldn't call her the next time I was planning on playing games, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
txras wrote:

So what's correct?

I told her this was incorrect and got screamed. What was amazing was that she was teaching the game to new players.

You don't gain treasure cards this way do you?
(Yes, I know its a silly question, but I would like the answer to be stated.)

Well my friend claims that "gaining" a card means you can take it home with you after the game.

The moral is: read the rulebook. Oh, and do not play with morons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a much better game if you play by the proper rules.

Start of the game:
Person A:"I'll gain 8 Provinces and win"
Person B: "What???!!!"
Person A:"Oh, sorry, I don't play by the rules"
Person B: angry

I suggest a "I'll play by the actual rules or not play" approach. The rules make it very clear what +Coins does. Otherwise the card would say "gain a silver".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave away all the GG I had in this thread to the good posts

(Note: I just got a geekbadge so it's not a lot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Did you get a chance to see if when Harems are in she plays by the same rules?

Its a shame she and you seem to be the only one who know the game. In most of the game groups I've been in if she tried that and screamed everyone would just scream back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ames
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
allstar64 wrote:
Did you get a chance to see if when Harems are in she plays by the same rules?

Its a shame she and you seem to be the only one who know the game. In most of the game groups I've been in if she tried that and screamed everyone would just scream back.

No, she didn't have the Harem card. I just left anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
She's unlikely to listen to reason, but you could point out that the 4-buy Moneylender being "Trash Copper, gain Gold" under her rules makes no sense when the 5-buy Mine is "Trash Copper, gain Silver".

Still, it sounds like she is deluding herself in the same way that the Obama-is-a-muslim-foreigner-terrorist-commuinst crowd like deluding themselves - namely, not by misinterpreting facts but by willfully ignoring facts - so I doubt logic would have any more effect than reading her the rulebook did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
She's unlikely to listen to reason, but you could point out that the 4-buy Moneylender being "Trash Copper, gain Gold" under her rules makes no sense when the 5-buy Mine is "Trash Copper, gain Silver".

Still, it sounds like she is deluding herself in the same way that the Obama-is-a-muslim-foreigner-terrorist-commuinst crowd like deluding themselves - namely, not by misinterpreting facts but by willfully ignoring facts - so I doubt logic would have any more effect than reading her the rulebook did.
It's really unfortunate that "Dominion: Tea Party" wouldn't be able to come out until after midterms.

Birther
Action-Reaction
Cost: 2
When an opponent gains a victory card, you may play this card and choose to disagree with the fact that your opponent has gained a victory card. If you do, +$0.
---
+1 Action
Gain a victory card costing 3 or less. If you do, gain a curse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Minkoff
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Dum, Dum, Dum dum dum, Dum!
badge
"Money isn't everything, but it's a tie-breaker in Power Grid!"
mbmbmbmbmb
txras wrote:
I did. I even read it to her. She said since it was her game, we would play by her rules.

I would suggest never playing anything with her again. shake

...also, shunning was invented for a reason. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the case of future arguments, I would suggest the following:

1. Get the rulebook
2. Open rulebook on page 3
3. Show her the painfully simple explanation of the "+X Coins" bonus, especially the "The player does not take additional Treasure cards for these coins." part.
4. Tear out page 3, put some ketchup on it and force her to eat it.

Now admittedly this is a waste of a perfectly good rulebook, but it's all for a good cause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very common misconception, though. I've had to point this out to all new players I've taught the game to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
3. Show her the painfully simple explanation of the "+X Coins" bonus, especially the "The player does not take additional Treasure cards for these coins." part.
So I can only take Action or Victory cards for them then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
txras wrote:

That's ridiculous. Does she make up rules to every game she plays?

Show her this BGG thread and berate her for not knowing what she's talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:

Now admittedly this is a waste of a perfectly good rulebook, but it's all for a good cause.

You could just print out page 3 from the digital version of the rulebook. Heck, print out a dozen and hand them out when she starts explaining her version of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:

Well, since it's her game and she apparently doesn't care about the rules, nobody will miss the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
In our group it's common for this kind of rule-abuse to be punished with summary execution. It's harsh, but it certainly keeps people from trying to buy curses and put them in other people's decks or insist that you have to use every buy on each turn. This is not 'nam, Smokey. There are rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
In our group it's common for this kind of rule-abuse to be punished with summary execution. It's harsh, but it certainly keeps people from trying to buy curses and put them in other people's decks or insist that you have to use every buy on each turn. This is not 'nam, Smokey. There are rules.

Execution is a bit strict. Up here in the north we like to keep things a bit lighter. Why not try a Batsu punishment next time? It's painful enough, and amusing for all involved. I recommend either the swift punishment of the stick or Blow Darts - always amusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope your friend never applies her own rules when crossing a heavy traffic street regardless what the traffic light shows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.