Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really hoping to get to Origins this year, at least for a couple of days. I know I'm late registering and all that good stuff, but with a job change and a house move, this is the earliest I could get around to it.

I went online, and I couldn't find anyplace to register. Do you seriously have to mail in your registration forms? I can't find any kind of event listing on the site I'm on, either, and the form wants me to fill out any events in which I'd like to participate. What am I missing?

Can someone direct me to where I'd register online, or at least an event catalog of some kind so I can see if there's anything to sign up for?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McGuire
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://originsgamefair.com/

Click on "Downloads" in the left column.
The first link under Origins Game Fair is the 2010 Preregistration form.
Print it, fill it out, send it in.

The deadline for companies getting event information into GAMA was March 1, so GAMA probably hasn't published an authoritative event schedule yet, even online.

If you need a hotel, you better hurry up and make reservations. Go to the URL above. In the left hand column click Origins Game Fair and then under that click Origins Hotel Info.

See ya there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Origins registration is a disaster this year. Even moreso than usual. They have no website, no information online, are depending on snail mail, and continually push back dates and make excuses. The convention is already hurting for attendance, this is the last thing it needed. I have no idea who is in charge of this thing at GAMA, but they really need to find a new line of work. Actually now that I think about it, they should sell the convention to a company that can actually run it properly.

To compare- Gen Con is 2 months later than Origins, yet badge registration has been open for weeks, and event registration starts in early April. Everything is completely automated on a newly updated website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:
Origins registration is a disaster this year. Even moreso than usual. They have no website, no information online, are depending on snail mail, and continually push back dates and make excuses. The convention is already hurting for attendance, this is the last thing it needed. I have no idea who is in charge of this thing at GAMA, but they really need to find a new line of work. Actually now that I think about it, they should sell the convention to a company that can actually run it properly.

To compare- Gen Con is 2 months later than Origins, yet badge registration has been open for weeks, and event registration starts in early April. Everything is completely automated on a newly updated website.

Yeah, I've done Gencon since it came to Indy, and aside from the first year, things have gone pretty smoothly from my perspective. I was really confused when I couldn't find any online registration for origins, and the website made me constantly wonder whether or not I was in the right place.

So I guess the next question is - is Origins really worth it? I've heard good things about it, but between a thread on hotels not being very positive about Columbus and the website/registration confusion, I'm starting to second guess whether or not I really want to attend.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Lynch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Welcome to the PLEASUREDOME
badge
I would say that Yes, Origins is worth it.

GenCon is nice, and there's nothing like it, however I always seem to enjoy Origins more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:

Ah, good to see the Origins troll is back out, who would find fault with Origins if they gave out $1000 bills to all attendees.

Unfortunately, he's got a legitimate complaint this time. I wish I could tell you something better, but I'm as much in the dark as most of you are. (Note: I am no longer on the CABS board, so I don't have the info I used to). The website problems are certainly not helping.

I can tell you that the Board and War Rooms will once again be run by CABS. It's the place to be for boardgaming (but certainly not the only option). Pay one fee hang out with hundreds of boardgamers all weekend. You can borrow a game from the CABS extensive library for no extra cost. Gencon has copied the Board Room idea with some success and I note that even the WBC and Prezcon have started coming up with their own libraries.

Note the Board and War Rooms have become so popular they've outgrown the usual room and will be moving to someplace bigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oberjt wrote:

So I guess the next question is - is Origins really worth it? I've heard good things about it, but between a thread on hotels not being very positive about Columbus and the website/registration confusion, I'm starting to second guess whether or not I really want to attend.

Thoughts?

I'm assuming you're referring to this thread about the hotels:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/504302/origins-hotel-que...

The original question was about bringing the wife and kids and what was there for them to do. If you are going to Origins just for Origins, you are probably not going to want to stay at any of those hotels. None of them are within a few blocks of the Convention Center. Any hotel within a few blocks of the Convention Center is perfectly fine. Be warned it'll probably cost you $100 a night or more, but safety and is no issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bordgamer wrote:

Ah, good to see the Origins troll is back out, who would find fault with Origins if they gave out $1000 bills to all attendees.

I'm hardly an Origins "troll".........I attended the convention for a very long time (and still attend some years), and enjoyed it very much. But I do think in the last few years the convention has gone steadily downhill. Some other conventions are doing a lot of things better than Origins lately. The management of the convention is a mess, and that's why important companies like Fantasy Flight no longer attend, and ultimately why the attendance is decreasing. How is the convention supposed to generate new attendees when there is no information online, no event information, and no way to register online?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rutherford
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play games, Origins is the place to be especially if you get the Boardroom ribbon. You will never have a problem finding a game to play. I used to attend Origins for a day or two, but since they've added the Boardroom I now attend the entire show.

If you are coming to shop, Origins is not the place to be. However, last year was probably the best in years for boardgamers. While they might not have FFG or Days of Wonder, the other companies are there in full force such as Rio Grande (which has provided free games to Boardroom attendees the last two years), Mayfair, Z-Man, FRED and, of course, almost all of the wargame publishers. Last year a large number of the publishers had debut releases at Origins.

I've been a bit miffed at GAMA for their handling of the website. I was told back in September that one of the major programmers was having surgery and was going to be out for awhile. In addition, they were not happy with the previous registration software. They had said that GenCon had the same software and encountered even more problems than they did but were trying to keep it quiet.

So don't let the registration problems turn you away. Once you get to Columbus and take in the show you will see that it was worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schmidt
United States
Saint Marys
Ohio
flag msg tools
I still think Origins is a great place to play; especially with the cooperation of CABS over the past several years. If it wasn't for CABS and the Boardroom, I'm not sure I'd still attend.

Even though Columbus is a scant two hours from me, I miss the day when Origins would rotate from city-to-city. It'd give me a reason to check out new cities, new foods, new ballparks, and historical attractions. Maybe it's the fact that Columbus is just two hours away... I wish I was going somewhere a little more exotic.

However, if you (and your group) are just going to play the same things and with your same opponents you would if you're at home....you may want to miss Origins, and Gencon, and WBC, etc. This is the time to test new games you've contemplated buying, learning games you own but the rules seem daunting, challenging others with different group-think on the same game, and soaking up the totality of other geeks just like us.

I commented negatively on another thread of Columbus downtown hotels that are offsite and I hold true to those statements. I'm not going to be a homer and spout off how Columbus is the center of the world or the Big 10 is way-better then the PAC or SEC. I would much rather be in downtown Chicago munching on a Pizzeria Duo slice than trolling around the Short North. With that said, Indianapolis is pretty much a copy-job of Columbus except that their downtown mall is operational. Indy does have a good elevated walkway system linking the southern hotels with the convention center.

Even though pre-reg is terrible at Origins, it took me maybe a half hour to do onsite registration last year. May not have got every pre-desiganted game I wanted but I did a lot of open gaming and Puffing Billy to meet my needs.

Any more FREE games CABS and/or Mayfair?

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm in. I reserved my hotel today, and I'll send in my registration stuff this week. I'm really looking to just play a bunch of games!

Thanks for all your info, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also give kudos to CABS. Without them there would be no point in going to Origins at all.

That said, the convention to go to if the object is to play games is WBC. Lots of well run events, a huge open gaming area (we put Open Gasming in the auditorium last year and it was a smashing success). A full Juniors program aimed at getting the young into the hobby and NO EVENT TICKETS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Website is up:

http://originsgames.com/

Its nice, though I still think its way overdue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Perry Hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
IA!! IA!!
badge
FTAGHN!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some questions for the folks here who have attended origins before. I have never attended a game convention, and am curious about some things:

1. I have booked lodgings at the doubletree suites in downtown columbus. I realize this is not near the convention center (everything closer either was not a good deal, or was booked), but it had the best deal among the few hotels nearby. Does anyone have experience with this place, and can give some feedback?

2. I realize that many events need preregistration. Is there any charge for this? how much would it be?

3. The north market comes highly recommended as a place to eat. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

4. How is the parking at the convention? My hotel is about a mile away, and I may drive in.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No idea. Sorry.

2. There are normally fees to play in game sessions. Check the website. You can purchase generic tickets as well.

3. The food court at the convention center has a few pretty good spots, but North Market IS the best bet!!!

4. There are a few lots fairly close to the center that go app. $7/day.

Enjoy the convention! I always have a GREAT time! It's a terrific place to actually PLAY. As someone observed above, GenCon tends to focus on the shopping for The Next Big Thing. They have gaming, of course (!), but Origins, even as it's declined somewhat, really focuses on the gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.mortificationofspin.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
Why can't I find a button anywhere on the website where I can register?

Can someone help me out with a link?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
opey2dope wrote:
I have some questions for the folks here who have attended origins before. I have never attended a game convention, and am curious about some things:

1. I have booked lodgings at the doubletree suites in downtown columbus. I realize this is not near the convention center (everything closer either was not a good deal, or was booked), but it had the best deal among the few hotels nearby. Does anyone have experience with this place, and can give some feedback?

2. I realize that many events need preregistration. Is there any charge for this? how much would it be?

3. The north market comes highly recommended as a place to eat. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

4. How is the parking at the convention? My hotel is about a mile away, and I may drive in.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

1. Yes stayed there 2 years ago. It's a good hotel.

3. The thing about the north market is it has a ton of different places to eat. You could go everyday of the convention to eat there 3 times and not eat the same thing twice. It's a collection of (I think) all local food vendors. I know I've got nothing like it near where I live.

However, all that said there are a ton of traditional sit down restaurants within 2 blocks of the convention center.

4. No need to worry about driving in. When I was there it was on the fun bus loop that ran to the convention center. Just hop on the free shuttle and ride in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
opey2dope wrote:

2. It depends on the event. For RPGs, mini games and board games, you can estimate about $2 for every 2 hours the event is. Most seminars are free, but some have a cost. CCGs and LARPs have varying costs - I've seen them from $4-$30. You'll see the event cost when you register.

3. There are alot of great restaurants around. The food court in the convention center is actually decent. I would also recommend Max & Ermas, Mongolian BBQ and Buca di Beppo - all within walking distance.

4. That far away I'm not sure. However, there are parking lots that cost a few bucks / day all over downtown. I believe parking on certain streets is also free on Sunday (correct me if I'm wrong on this).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trevlix wrote:
opey2dope wrote:

2. It depends on the event. For RPGs, mini games and board games, you can estimate about $2 for every 2 hours the event is. Most seminars are free, but some have a cost. CCGs and LARPs have varying costs - I've seen them from $4-$30. You'll see the event cost when you register.

3. There are alot of great restaurants around. The food court in the convention center is actually decent. I would also recommend Max & Ermas, Mongolian BBQ and Buca di Beppo - all within walking distance.

4. That far away I'm not sure. However, there are parking lots that cost a few bucks / day all over downtown. I believe parking on certain streets is also free on Sunday (correct me if I'm wrong on this).

North Market for lunch. a block away from the event halls, not very expensive, and a lot of variety. It's been my place of choice for the last couple years.

And yes, if you like board games, Origins is great.

Honestly, I've had the most fun over the last couple years at Origins and that almost seems to coincide with the lack of WoTC and other vendors. I think the missing cloud of body odor that use to hang around the escalator coincided with that, too...

I've seen a lot of smaller publishing companies start showing up and bring a lot of cool games I've never heard of and I liked that. See new things and not just the majors pushing the same big games I see on the Geek constantly. Sometimes the smaller ones are just as good or better.

GenCon was a little too large for me. I felt like I was missing something and didn't really have time to slow down and try new stuff or actually look around. And I had to dodge some kid living out of his backback as he swung what I assumed was a midget in a dufflebag across his back into the aisles when he turned 90 degrees to look at a table. That just annoyed me and there were a ton of guys that did that.

With Origins, I didn't feel that rush to see everything, and not just because the vendor hall was smaller. It was more relaxed and comfortable and I just had more fun and got to see a lot more stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick note to say that it is less than 3 months until the con and STILL no online registration. Combine this with the lack of adequate communication about this matter (no mention of registration at all on their new lame non-functioning web site!) and it appears that the people in charge are working very hard to insure that this is the LAST Origins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mays
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bordgamer wrote:
Zaphod wrote:

Unfortunately, he's got a legitimate complaint this time.

So, if his complaint is legitimate, why label him a troll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrrBlarg wrote:
Bordgamer wrote:
Zaphod wrote:

Unfortunately, he's got a legitimate complaint this time.

So, if his complaint is legitimate, why label him a troll?

In a couple of other threads I said Gen Con was better than Origins for board gamers and he took it personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lancemoody wrote:
Just a quick note to say that it is less than 3 months until the con and STILL no online registration. Combine this with the lack of adequate communication about this matter (no mention of registration at all on their new lame non-functioning web site!) and it appears that the people in charge are working very hard to insure that this is the LAST Origins.

This is starting to bother me too...I've only been to Origins once (in 2003), and I'm hoping to swing down for a day (in conjuntion with a long-overdue trip to Ohio to see some family), and the seeming lack of any ability to register for Origins this year is disconcerting.

They are still holding it this year, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:
In a couple of other threads I said Gen Con was better than Origins for board gamers and he took it personally.

No, you've said that GenCon was the best convention for boardgaming period. While GenCon has many things to offer and I don't mean to trash it (I go every few years), this year it's not even the best boardgame convention that weekend (WBC).

I hear it's gotten better through the efforts of folks like Lee Maile (sp?). Glad to hear it, but all he's doing is copying what's been done in the Board Room/War Room for several years.

Plus there's the trashing of the restaurants around Origins as being over priced (as if somehow restuarants around convention centers in Indianoplis are any better).

Plus the trashing of the neighborhood around Origins (as if somehow Indianapolis is any better than Columbus).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Armadillo Al wrote:
lancemoody wrote:

This is starting to bother me too...I've only been to Origins once (in 2003), and I'm hoping to swing down for a day (in conjuntion with a long-overdue trip to Ohio to see some family), and the seeming lack of any ability to register for Origins this year is disconcerting.

They are still holding it this year, right?

Yeah, I'm not going to lie, the lack of any online registration is bothering me more than it probably should. I've printed out the forms, and I've *almost* mailed them in, but I'm really leary at this point. Has anyone else mailed their registration stuff in? What was the response time like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.