Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Matson
United States
Columbus
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would appreciate your recommendations for wargames in which cavalry is the predominate fighting element. To set the tone, take a listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLcmbHe1Axw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Horse Soldiers (old S&T game) and Mosby's Raiders just off the top of my head. Both American Civil War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Devil's Horsemen is an outstanding game based around the use of cavalry and archery. The time period is the 13th century and essentially looks at the Mongol style of warfare for that time period. An expansion is available and both are in print. Other details of the game are as follows;

units; foot unit= 500 men, mounted units=350 men
game turn= 20 minutes
map=100 yards per hex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jevon Heath
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Credit to David J. Kelly
badge
This image is not mine – message me if you know who made it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gustav Adolf the Great: With God and Victorious Arms for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Battle of the Little Bighorn,

The Battle of Rosebud Creek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lavoie
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of these are American Civil War games.

The Strategy & Tactics game Horse Soldiers: Forrest at Bay is a great little game in the Great Battles of the American Civil War series, depicting battles featuring the Confederate cavalry of Nathan Bedford Forrest.

Another GBACW series title that focuses on cavalry battles is Rebel Sabers: Civil War Cavalry Battles. Four battles can be found in the box, including Brandy Station, the largest cavalry battle of the war.

Finally, the GMT game 1863 includes a scenario covering Brandy Station.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prussia's Defiant Stand (a block game) has a neat cavalry component. Just be sure to download the FAQ to completely understand the cavalry battle rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Picinich

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cadavaca wrote:

Don't forget This Accursed Civil War, Sweden Fights On & Under the Lilly Banner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While not entirely a cavalry themed game GDW's Eylau: Napoleon's Winter Battle, 1807 has special Murat and cavalry shock rules that virtually ensure a spectacular massed Great Cavalry Charge before the end of the game...most satisfying for the French player...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwyn Darden
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Great Battles of History series there are several titles. Devil's Horsemen and Mamluk have already been mentioned, Attila clearly belongs too, but I strongly recommend The Great Battles of Alexander: Deluxe Edition despite the presence of large numbers of infantry. Both flanks at Gaugamela and the Macedonian left at Issus: the stakes are seldom higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwyn Darden
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently recommended Lobositz: First Battle of the Seven Years War in a forum on the Seven Years War, but encountered opposition from those who thought that Kolin offered a better training scenario, one that was infantry only. My point had been that Lobositz is a crash course in all arms. The battle is ultimately dominated by two cavalry clashes, one in the Center and one on the Prussian right. There is not a lot of room for maneuver, rather it is the issues of Charge and Countercharge, Pursuit and Recall and Opportunity Charges that rule the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
At the low end of the complexity scale, C3i (GMT's in-house magazine) had a series of cavalry battles for Command and Colors: Ancients--I think in #20 and #21.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Farrier tom wrote:
cadavaca wrote:

Don't forget This Accursed Civil War, Sweden Fights On & Under the Lilly Banner.

My favorite series of all.

Gustav Adolph has the most use of cavalry though, and the most types. Two battles in the game, representing the King's campaign in Livonia, feature very cavalry-centric Polish OOBs and special rules. I really like the lance rule. In fact I hope Men of Iron copies it in that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.