Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received our copy of the game today. We got the Elves vs. Orcs version.

Impressions:

I have 2 sons (and a girl who is 15 months and not gaming this week so far). My sons are 14 and 8.

So I mainly got this game for my 8 year old as It really seemed like something we would all like but he really enjoys battle style games. And unlike some of the others ones we have (Memoir 44, Dust etc) this game is a bit quicker lol.

So we went over the rules but we had already watched the Dice Tower video review which helped as well.

The game went really well and was easy to learn and get up to speed. I played the Elves and my son played the Orcs. He ended up winning at the end as he cornered my Summoner with his Summoner and a Shaman I believe it was. We had worked through our decks and each had one card in our hands both of which were champions we could not afford to summon. So he basically cornered my Summoner and kicked him in the corner until he stopped moving.

I think the one thing we learned on the first game is to not throw quite so many cards to the Magic Cauldron. We burned through our decks pretty fast lol. maybe about 4-5 turns I think.

It was a good time and we will probably play several more games of it tonight I imagine. So a couple questions...

Questions:

1. I know the rules reference that normal walls must be played on your side of the map. How about the Ice Walls that the Orc player gets...are those under the same restriction?

2. On the Elves side...the Fire Drake champion...his special ability...can it target over a wall for instance to hit the mob behind it? It says to target a mob and then it hits all withing that line etc. So to be clear...can the Fire Drake special ability shoot a guy 3 spaces away and do 1 damage to wall and then 1 damage to guy on other side?

3. Just making sure we were right...as it seemed so on the rules in regards to the Event phase. If you have say 2 walls and 3 Event cards in your hand...technically you couple play all of them on the Event phase correct?

Thanks in advance...seems like a cool and quick game so far. We wanted to get this one and try it out and if it catches on we would order the other set etc...but so far looks promising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, they are treated the same as with walls, only with 3 hit points.

2. Yes, that is the way I've always played it, as the card references "cards" not units. So the flame can go through a wall onto another character. You are correct.

3. Yes, there are no limits the the number of event cards you can play.

Hope that helps, and glad you like it! I also play the Orcs. I see you already found out not to let us corner you. Now to learn to stay away from our walls!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrusaderX wrote:
1. Yes, they are treated the same as with walls, only with 3 hit points.

2. Yes, that is the way I've always played it, as the card references "cards" not units. So the flame can go through a wall onto another character. You are correct.

3. Yes, there are no limits the the number of event cards you can play.

Hope that helps, and glad you like it! I also play the Orcs. I see you already found out not to let us corner you. Now to learn to stay away from our walls!

Chris is correct on all counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies....

One more question if I can...

On the Orc Summoner it says that "instead of attacking..."

Does that mean you cant use the hit all enemies by a wall special unless you are actually in range to make a melee attack on someone? I think we were doing this wrong and doing it where he could use that ability anywhere even if not in range to actually attack.

Thanks in advance!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heroic Monkey
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Range is completely ignored when Grognack uses Wall of Ice Shard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Colby. And Heroic Monkey is right on that count. Grognak doesn't have to be near anything, it's just instead of his normal attack, he can choose to roll to damage anyone near his walls. VERY handy. Bring those Elven filth to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrusaderX wrote:
Thanks Colby. And Heroic Monkey is right on that count. Grognak doesn't have to be near anything, it's just instead of his normal attack, he can choose to roll to damage anyone near his walls. VERY handy. Bring those Elven filth to you!

Yeah the instead of attacking note means that it takes up one of your 3 attacks for the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Jones
United States
Franklin
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrusaderX wrote:

That explains my opening game loss as the Orcs...I rushed to them and met a swift Death by Precise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.