Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Bernard
United States
Fairview
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In reading the posts it is quite apparent to me that some people are playing that you take cards into your hand and can even save them for future turns. I don't interpret the rules that way at all. At least in the English rules I find nothing that says the cards are ever taken into your hand. They remain on the table with your "character marker" on them. Indeed, the rules specifically state that the character markers are not retrieved until after the cards have been used. When a 1x card is used it is discarded. The "1x" use is per round, which I take to simply mean that it can't be activated by something that allows another card to be activated. If you take cards into your hand the game would not work because you need 9 cards for each round.

Also I disagree with the interpretation that some have given to the "Storming the Castle" card. A literal reading of the rules renders it only of practical value to the first player. Since there are several "Transfer of Power" cards, it seems to me that this is one benefit of going first. Those who are reading it differently are inserting the word "immediately" on the card which does not appear.

As further support for this interpretation, suppose the "Storming the Castle" card is the contested card. You have to resolve the contest before you know who gets to use the card. Once the contest is resolved it is then the first player's turn. I don't think you can allow the second player to take an action first!

Just my thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BibKamp318
Belgium
Beerse [near Turnhout]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bbernard wrote:
In reading the posts it is quite apparent to me that some people are playing that you take cards into your hand and can even save them for future turns. I don't interpret the rules that way at all. At least in the English rules I find nothing that says the cards are ever taken into your hand.
I am afraid you are wrong. I don't have the English rules, but the original German rules are pretty clear about this [page 4 - bottom of right column].
1. We are talking here about the "neutral" advantage cards [as opposed to the blue/red colored "personal" advantage cards].
2. Neutral cards can be used by both players. Amongst these are "1x" cards: players can put these before them and can play them any time in this round or one of the next rounds.
3. If you don't play the card before the deck [A or B] it was originally coming from needs to be reshuffled, you have to hand in the card "unused" [making hence the A or B deck complete again].
Also the English rules that have been posted by chicagometh explain this on page 4 - bottom of right column.

Bbernard wrote:
Also I disagree with the interpretation that some have given to the "Storming the Castle" card. A literal reading of the rules renders it only of practical value to the first player. Since there are several "Transfer of Power" cards, it seems to me that this is one benefit of going first. Those who are reading it differently are inserting the word "immediately" on the card which does not appear.

As further support for this interpretation, suppose the "Storming the Castle" card is the contested card. You have to resolve the contest before you know who gets to use the card. Once the contest is resolved it is then the first player's turn. I don't think you can allow the second player to take an action first!

Given the facts that:
1. You can keep this card from a previous round
2. You can play a card any time during your turn!
When you have this card as
a] First player [= owning the Power marker]: you can play it before the conflict OR even after the conflict has been resolved
b] Second player: no use whatsoever as the first player has already done his/her actions. Remember: one can only play a card during your turn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bernard
United States
Fairview
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand corrected, in part. Let me quote from the English rules:

"Resolving Advantage Cards

After the conflict is resolved, the player with the start player marker resolves all of the cards claimed with his personal markers." [Emphasis added.]

Underneath the Advantage card effects it does state that the neutral "1x" cards can be placed in front of you and be used during a future round, but if they are not used by the time their deck needs to be shuffled then they are discarded, or there won't be enough cards in the deck. I think it is rather clear that only the 1x cards can stay in front of you, and not all the neutral cards.

Continuing on:

"End of a Turn

Once both players have used their advantage cards and/or built their buildings, both players retrieve their character markers."

This is the first time anything is said about picking up the markers. Since the markers are to be picked up at that time, it thus follows that the cards could not have been picked up earlier because the markers were still on top of the cards.

I agree that since the "Storming the Castle" is a "1x" card it could be useful to either player. But the only cards you can have in front of you are 1x cards. I was confused as to how people were having what they referred to as a "hand" of cards when the rules state that the card stays in front of you. The rules are also confusing as written because of the way it discusses picking up the character markers.

Thanks for the clarification. It helped me to understand the rules better. I do believe it is confusing to state in the rules at all cards are "resolved" unless you interpret taking a "1x" card in front of you as a "resolution."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Edwards
United States
Grove City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did adding cards to your hand ever get answered definitely? I think you can save 1x cards until the required shuffle but all other cards have to be used when you claimed them correct? You cannot take non-1x cards into hand and hang on to them until you want to use them in future rounds pre-shuffle right?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.