Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Scarborough
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing the game now a few times we have discussed many details of the game. Was there any consideration put into a variant where four players play a 2 on 2 game. Where strategy discussions were open to the two playing each of the Houses. They could share strategy at any time, but never any resources. They won as a team or lost as a team. The winning team would be decided by the total victory points of the two players of the team. Just thoughts we've discussed. Your thoughts?

Jeff in Texas

p.s. - By the way this is the best and closest example I have ever seen of a marriage between a great eurogame and a great wargame not to mention that the components are the finest quality - bar none! I'm a fan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Williams
Australia
Googong
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested in the official answer to your question too. Having said that, there is nothing stopping you from giving it a try. Indeed, I'm tempted to suggest this to my group which is now thoroughly addicted to our beloved "Roses". In our last game there ended up being absolutely NO in house back stabbing! surprise More to do with the situation but...

We play it fast (under 2 hours easy). I could see room for a little "diplomacy" phase before planning.

PS: I agree with your postscript sentiments. However I'm starting to look upon "Roses" as a unique game in its own category now. It may be time for another article...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hawes
United States
Prospect
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a straight 2 on 2 game was considered and this makes for an interesting variant, The victory can go to the House with the highest combined score or to the House which wins the King three times out of the 5 turns. This a good variant for those who want a strict historical game with one or other House winning, rather than an individual player.

Things to consider:
Is all discussion between allies kept secret or can the opposition hear it and decide if they are bluffing or not.
It could be allowed for allies to place white bribe cubes on each other's personalities and add troops for the defense of locations held by their ally.
Allowing multiple white and black bribe cubes on a single personality works well in a game with allies communicating and opponents hearing this eg " we know the Yorkists want to bribe Percy, should we each put a white bribe cube on him" and will they waste 18 pounds if it was a ruse?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.