United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
This came up in a PbP game on these forums recently:

SuperChutney wrote:
Mordenthral wrote:
Then I guess we need to discuss the rules a moment. New Old World tokens cannot be placed in ruined regions, so you wouldn't be able to take the Warpstone with you to the Border Princes.

Right?

Eep. You are right.[/COLOR]

The rules state that New Old World tokens cannot be placed in the region, but this is moving an Old World token that was already on the board.

Can Tzeentch drag a warpstone into a ruined region using upgraded acolytes? Can Slaanesh send a noble or a hero token into a ruined region using Dark Influence? I'd say that you can; the rule is designed to make sure any new tokens added by Old World cards go into active regions, not to restrict the players from doing what they might decide is their best play.

Should we read the word "New" in the rules to mean "New to the region", or does it only mean "New to play"?

edit: Said the wrong Slaanesh card initially

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You could move it and then subsequently remove it fromt he board. I am basing this on the FAQ and interpolating a bit:

(NEW) Q: Once a region has been
ruined, can it be selected for the
effects from an Old World card?
When you are given the choice among several options
for placement, you may choose a ruined region, however,
since new Old World tokens cannot be placed in a
ruined region, selecting that region has no effect, since a
token will not be placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read it as new 'to the region.'

Your mileage may vary.[color=white]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought "move" and "placement" were the same thing in this game. Thus, you coulen't "move/place" the token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a great precedent to go by. The only times they repeatedly point that out in the FAQ (and that it's on page 11 of the rulebook) is in reference to figures. But extending it to cover token movement also makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with some of the above.

An old world token currently on the board is not a "New" old world token being placed because of an Old World Card or an upgrade effect.

But there would be little point in most cases for an upgraded Tzeentch acolyte to move a warpstone to a ruined region, or a Slaneesh player to use a chaos card to move a noble to one - since corruption is no longer placed in ruined regions. No dial ticks can be gained!

The only purpose I could see might be for Tzeentch to drag a warpstone along through a ruined region enroute to a non-ruined one that his units aren't currently adjacent to. Or perhaps Slaneesh to move a noble to reduce someone else from getting one extra domination point in a non-ruined region because of the presence of the noble.

Finally, the rules are quite clear that figures CAN be moved to ruined regions.. but again there is little point to this except for Khorne to kill opponents figs there... or a player enroute to somewhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Myers
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
VillainousEye wrote:
But there would be little point in most cases for an upgraded Tzeentch acolyte to move a warpstone to a ruined region, or a Slaneesh player to use a chaos card to move a noble to one - since corruption is no longer placed in ruined regions. No dial ticks can be gained!

You're missing a very interesting play: Slaanesh using Soporific Musk on an upgraded acolyte to drag a warpstone to a ruined region. Given some of the interpretations above, that would result in the warpstone disappearing from the board.

Slaanesh who is leading in threat also might want to send a hero to a ruined region to banish it from play, though there should usually be somewhere that's a better choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The disagreement is this:

Set One: 1 2 3 4 5

Set Two: 6 7 8 9 10

If I do this...

Set One: 1 2 3 4

Set Two: 6 7 8 9 10 5

Did I add a new number to set two? Yes, I think I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.