Subject: Looking at the opponent's cards in his/her hand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
filip de maesschalck
Belgium
lokeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that when there's three or more spaces between the energy markers, the players whose energy marker is highest can look at the opponent's cards. Can he do this EVERY time there's a gap of three or more energy points or just once (at the moment this occurs for the first time)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule struck me as odd as well. The way it is written, it seems to say that you can look at the opponents hand at will as long as the condition is met. Given the nature of the cards, a glance is unlikely to be very useful unless you have a photographic memory. So do you just keep asking to see the cards repeatedly? Annoying!

I think the intent is to really punish someone who lets themselves get too far behind in a duel.

We play that as long as there is a gap of 3 or more in energy, the person who is behind has to keep their hand face-up on the table. I think that is in line with the intent of the rule without introducing an annoying memorization element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce H
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state:" IF ,after an exchange is scored, there are 3 or more empty spaces between the two energy markers on the energy track, the player, who is higher on the energy track, MAY look at the cards in his opponent's hand.

What I get from this rule is that during a Duel, after each exchange is scored on the energy track, the player with 3 or more empty spaces between the two markers and is higher on the track, may look their opponent's hand. This rule would take place once immediately after each exchange is scored. I would also add to say the player who has been awarded this advantage, do it immediately after the exhange is scored. If not, they forfeit the opportunity. (kind of like getting the ball back into play before the review flag is thrown whistle) As some would be ready to scratch this rule altogether, if played properly, it does add a balance to the game keeping not only players aware of their current standing on the energy track, but what cards to play (or not) in the next exchange. Remember, you do not choose 3 cards for the final duel until AFTER the current duel is played out. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
filip de maesschalck
Belgium
lokeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tnx for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Mouse
msg tools
We had been playing it the way Damon suggested. However, I can see the 'glance-rule' could also be appropriate.

The only dissadvantage with the 'glance-rule' is it gives an advantage to:

1. People with photographic memories.
2. People who can do quick mathematical logical analysis (especially in the 4th duel).

I don't fall into the 1st category, but I do fall into the second. Is it fair for me to have an advantage?

If you do glance, how long is acceptable? I could probably do credible analysis with about 1-2 seconds per card. Others could do the same analysis in a longer or even shorter time. The argument then becomes, what is a fair amount of time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.