Subject: Sniveler Super rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Withem

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sniveler Super Flare wrote:

If one or more other players win the game and you are within one colony of winning, the winners must either allow you to join their win or you may encounter one winning player of your choice who refuses. During the encounter, none of the previous winners may ally with you. If you win the encounter, you and all your allies win the game. If you don't, the previous win stands.

quite a few questions with this one!!

1) Obviously Sniveler has to be at 4 points, but do his allies?

2) Sniveler chooses who they wish to encounter, so does this mean that Sniveler has a completely separate encounter? (similar to warrior wild flare?) Do they have to launch at a colony of that person? Does Sniveler's allies have to be non-existant on that planet to give them a chance?

3) Do foreign colonies matter in this encounter? As in through the encounter must Sniveler (and his allies) keep their 4 points intact? It came up in an issue where zombie hoarded the mobius tubes in a 6 player game and everybody (but him) had like 4-7 ships. Can Sniveler and his allies strip points, win and still win the game?

4) Does the Sniveler super flare count as the flare for the turn in the encounter? My table is a big advocate of placing the flare on the table until it's resolved and then put it back in your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dolan
United States
Rockford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
My take is that since it is an alternate victory condition (like Tick Tock, Genius, etc.), it follows it's own set of rules, exactly as described, regardless of any criteria that would normally be required for victory.

Specifically:

1. No, his allies do not have to be at 4 points. The trigger for this event is the Sniveler being within 1 base of winning. If that is fulfilled, and the Sniveler wins the encounter, the results apply as listed. The Super Flare didn't list allies victory status as a requirement, therefore it doesn't matter.

2. I would say it's exactly like a normal encounter, as though it were the Snivelers turn and he had just flipped over a card that listed his chosen player as his target. And as with 1 (above), I would say that simply winning the encounter triggers the win result for the Sniveler and his allies.

3. Yes. Same rationale as above; Once the initial trigger has been meet (Sniveler being within 1 colony of winning), the Sniveler just has to win the encounter for him and all his allies to win the game, regardless of any other victory criteria.

4. I'd say that it does NOT apply as the flare for the encounter it generates. It is played as a reaction to an event during one encounter, and it generates a NEW encounter. It has resolved, it just has a lingering effect for the encounter that it generates (IE: the whole all or nothing victory for the Sniveler and allies).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all of Pat's answers, and will just add a couple of supporting thoughts:

* Your group's insistence on keeping played flares on the table until they fully resolve is spot-on, and I agree with Pat that a new encounter always brings a fresh opportunity to play a flare.

* The reason Sniveler's allies get to share the win even if they do not get to five colonies is that they would not ally with him otherwise! This prevents everyone from piling on against Sniveler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.