Subject: Too many games to remember the rules to all of them rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Norris

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So as the title suggests I have gotten to the point that I have too many games to remember the rules to even half of them it seems. Usually I can remember the basics of how to play, but forget smaller rules like when you go here you have to do X. It doesn't help getting half of them played is no easy task. Sad part is I am only 23, it can only get wrose from here.

Anyone else have this problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Rettore
Italy
Riese Pio X (Treviso)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I do have the same problem. Probably the internal booklet will solve it time to time.... :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started suffering your same problem around 25 or 26 when my collection got to be about the same size as yours.. It's like this... :I know this game uses line of sight but it is center to center or any corner to any point".

Since we can remember 95% of any rule set without looking it up, we basically just make cheat sheets for those rules we forget or simply just look them up.

Another trick is to keep your game collection small enough that you'll reasonably play any game in it maybe once a year or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have this problem unless I have only played the game once. It sure seems like everyone else I play with has this problem, since I often have to remind people of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mb
And this is why you make crib notes to make quick-start rules for games.
In every game box, I have my own notes. The thing is, that it isn't just me who has to be reminded of the rules, it's everyone else. It's a lot easier to remember things in a group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With close to 200 games, I pick 2-4 games the day before gaming night and reread the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. I blame it on age ... my wife blames it on buying and owning too many games. For me, it's mostly when I'm trying to remember games of similar scale/theme.

I can remember without problem Pandemic's rules versus Ticket to Ride versus Kill Dr. Lucky vs Alhambra without a problem. Wildly different games and rules.

But ask me to sort out the nuances between Conflict of Heroes vs. Combat Commander vs Valor and Victory without the rulebooks in front of me and I'm lost. That why I have to have a favourite (Valor & Victory) and then also play other unique games for that period (Frontline: D-Day) or minis rules (Troops, Weapons & Tactics).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reprint wrote:
And this is why you make crib notes to make quick-start rules for games.
In every game box, I have my own notes. The thing is, that it isn't just me who has to be reminded of the rules, it's everyone else. It's a lot easier to remember things in a group.

I agree. Making summary sheets are the way to go. Usually, my game summaries run about 1/4 the length of the rules. (So a 12 page rulebook will yield about a 3 page summary.) Organizing the rules this way makes for a much quicker study of the rules. It's especially important to put the easily forgettable rules in the summary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin B
Canada
Richmond Hill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
I don't have this problem unless I have only played the game once. It sure seems like everyone else I play with has this problem, since I often have to remind people of the rules.

Not sure why this surprises you, since you play any given game more often and more frequently then most of your opponents, as well as read every rules question posted on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Universal Head has an excellent resource for game reference sheets at his website, Headless Hollow.

He does a great job, hitting the key points and helpful tips. Plus, he's a graphics whiz, and his products are very professional. Two thumbsup from me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BakeliteTM wrote:
dcorban wrote:

Not sure why this surprises you, since you play any given game more often and more frequently then most of your opponents, as well as read every rules question posted on BGG.

It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it. Otherwise, that copy of Brass would still be sitting in shrink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of my qualifications for a great game. If I can put it down and then pick it up and play without looking at the rules 3 months later, then the game has passed the hurtle. Obviousness in rules is also a boon. I

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any expectation that I will remember the rules the next time I play it. If it is a big game I will read them the night before, if the rules are only a few pages we can go through them before we start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Contrary to seemingly most BGG, I'm trying to find motives to get rid of games.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmb
Yes. Especially if you play games like Arkham Horror on an irregular basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.