Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Campbell
Canada
Spruce Grove
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, I been running the Suicide Mission for some 10 years now, using 2 versions of Space Hulk, and with some 10 different players. No one has been able to beat the darned mission. I looked at the Mission ranking threat, and that didn't look too hopeful either (some 3-4 Genestealer wins per SM win).

What are people's thoughts on this unwinable mission? Is it truly nigh-impossible? Should the map be ever so slightly tweak so as to prevent the crazy bottlenecking that seems to happen every time? Are my players just not hardcore enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I play it with only one blip for the genestealers per turn (and an extra 2 at the beginning as written)
It's still hard, but can be done - after all, it's supposed to be a tutorial, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Harding
United Kingdom
Wymondham
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with the latter. Once you're an experienced player Suicide Mission should be won by the marines virtually every time (have to allow for the really unlucky dice rolling). Using the flamer to cut off the junctions is often the tactic, but with good rolls you can secure them with bolter armed marines. Even easier now that you can give back a poor command point pick for the chance of a better one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using one-blip reinforcements the mission is very winnable once you nail down the strategy. I think that it even favors the marines slightly. Unless you play the variant where at least one marine has to get out, too, which in my opinion is downright ridicilous.

However, with two-blips reinforcements I must say I didn't witness many wins. Even when I played against a newbie stealer player I found it very difficult to control the inevitable swarm. It's a really bad choice for the very first mission difficulty-wise, in fact, I might even go out on a limb and say that it would be a fine choice for the FINAL mission. It even fits thematically - last heroic act on behalf of marines to destroy the genestealers for good, sacrificing themselves in the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrBigUK wrote:
I'd go with the latter. Once you're an experienced player Suicide Mission should be won by the marines virtually every time (have to allow for the really unlucky dice rolling). Using the flamer to cut off the junctions is often the tactic, but with good rolls you can secure them with bolter armed marines. Even easier now that you can give back a poor command point pick for the chance of a better one.

I agree witht this. If the space marines know what they are doing, there seems to be very little the stealers can do except to hope for poor die rolling.

There are at least two illustrated session reports which show how to do it. (The key is to dominate the L corridor as fast as possible, then flame your way to the crossing, while somhow shooting down the door, and then flame the room from the crossing.)

(A bolter armed marine can be on overwatch in the L corridor in turn two if he get ten command points (only nine is neccessary if he manages to shoot down the dooor in the L corridor (two attempts)).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also found that there is a tendency to try to beat the aliens to the junction and so you end up moving too fast and not allowing yourself enough command points during the genestealer turn (clearing jams, etc.), and your forces are not in very good position to cover.

Taking a slower, more methodical pace seems to work better (at least in my games), it takes a little longer but it puts your SM's into a position to cover themselves, protect the flamer, and make a little headway on their own turn.

Just remember that it is called "Suicide Mission", so expect some losses regardless .....

EDIT: Duncan below made a good point ... when I said protect the flamer, I meant his life, not his ammo ... just leave 1 shot left for the win

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely doable. I lost my first game as marines on it, but won the next two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won as marines-but will agree that it is hard-I was playing yesterday and just lost because I forgot an overwatch-it's important not to be too protective of that flamer-use it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree. I've seen a very large number of Terminator victories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.