Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

I've picked up the game, and am getting ready for my first session tonight.

I've read through the rules a couple of times, and have some questions. Sorry if they are covered in the rules, but I didn't see immediate answers to the following:

1: Seafaring: Am I right in understanding that that each body of water count as separate regions, worth 3 points each? Does that also mean it takes 6 tokens to conquer each (as they count as 3 regions)?

Also, you can attach a region on the border that is next to water, as your first attack (bypassing the actual water, but attacking the region, eg: yellow region on top left of 4 player map?

2: On the bottom of the 5 player map, in the center, there is a region that looks like white rock. But it doesn't exactly look like a mountain. Is it a mountain?

EDIT: One more... Halflings may enter anywhere on the map. But they get TWO "holes in the ground".... does the second region you conquer have to be adjacent to the first? (therefore your holes in the ground will always be next to each other?)

Sorry if these are pretty basic questions. The answers may be more obvious once I sit down to play, but I just want to be as prepared as possible as we will all be new tonight.

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Holmes108 wrote:
1: Seafaring: Am I right in understanding that that each body of water count as separate regions, worth 3 points each? Does that also mean it takes 6 tokens to conquer each (as they count as 3 regions)?

No. Each Sea or Lake counts as 1 region, worth 1 point and requiring two tokens to conquer (under normal circumstances). The two Seas and one Lake together count as 3 regions.

Holmes108 wrote:
Also, you can attach a region on the border that is next to water, as your first attack (bypassing the actual water, but attacking the region, eg: yellow region on top left of 4 player map?

Yes.

Holmes108 wrote:
2: On the bottom of the 5 player map, in the center, there is a region that looks like white rock. But it doesn't exactly look like a mountain. Is it a mountain?

Not having an actual map to look at available, I think so. Every region is either a Sea, Lake, Forest, Swamp, Farmland, Hill or Mountain, so if it doesn't look more like any of the other options, it's a Mountain.

Holmes108 wrote:
EDIT: One more... Halflings may enter anywhere on the map. But they get TWO "holes in the ground".... does the second region you conquer have to be adjacent to the first? (therefore your holes in the ground will always be next to each other?)

Yes. Unless abilities in play say otherwise, the standard rules always apply. Nothing in the Halflings ability says anything about them getting a special exception to the normal adjacency requirements for conquest, so they must abide by them. (Unless, of course, they happen to have a Special Power that says otherwise. Flying Halflings could have non-adjacent Holes-in-the-Ground.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes108 wrote:

No. Each Sea (edge of the board) and Lake (center) water region is one region; for a race with Seafaring, they require 2 tokens each to take. "You can consider the Seas and Lakes as 3 empty regions" means you treat each of the three of them as an empty region for your race to conquer, not that you treat each of them as 3 regions.

Quote:

Yes, you can make your First Conquest on any region that borders either the edge of the board or a Sea that borders the edge of the board.

Quote:

I don't have the board in front of me, but I believe the answer is yes.

Quote:

Unless your Halflings are Flying, yes.

Quote:
Sorry if these are pretty basic questions. The answers may be more obvious once I sit down to play, but I just want to be as prepared as possible as we will all be new tonight.

No problem. Also, be sure to check other threads, as there is an FAQ floating around somewhere (I'm too inept and lazy to find the link right now), and lots of other questions have been answered. Have fun!

EDIT: Grammar are crucial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a bunch, guys. That about covers it. Looks like a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.