BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » England

Subject: Gaming Clubs in Birmingham? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Clarke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a bit of a search and haven't seen Birmingham mentioned for a couple of years. Are there any established groups?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the UK FAQ.

October Wargames Association
Tuesday evening at the Ladywood Social Club, Ladywood Middleway, Ladywood, Birmingham, 6.30-11 p.m.
We play boardgames (mainly eurostyle games), miniature wargames and roleplaying games.
Contact r.denning@btinternet.com or else best just to come along.

South Birmingham Board Games
Second Friday of the month at Dell Road Church, Dell Road, Cotteridge. 7:30-10pm
Lots and lots of boardgames. No wargames or Roleplaying games.
Contact John or Tom at southbirminghamboardgames@googlemail.com

Halesowen Boardgamers
We play board games and card games and meet at the Townsend Social Club (former Halesowen Conservative Club), in the town centre on the A458, on most Wednesday evenings from 7.30 p.m. to 10.30 p.m. We charge a £1 weekly fee to cover the cost of room hire, but the first visit is free.
Contactshone Dave on 01384 825022 or send geekmail to DaveD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
North side of Birmingham - chuff al. A few of us mutter about starting something up in the Sutton area every few years, but idleness sets in and nothing comes of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
North side of Birmingham - chuff al. A few of us mutter about starting something up in the Sutton area every few years, but idleness sets in and nothing comes of it.

Any likely venues in Sutton Coldfield ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hill
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
(poking at a very old thread in the hope it wakes up)

Did anyone ever establish a games night in Sutton Coldfield (or in fact, anywhere just North of Birmingham)?

Only games shops this side of Brum seem to be Warhammer-centric, rather than something nice and generic (like Waylands Forge etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See my earlier post.

I remain convinced that the interest is there (there are two of us making the drive up to Burton every Weds, for instan), but I can't organise a knees up in a brewery and nobody else is volunteering.

I really ought to look for a venue; I just don't know where to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Taylor
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Richard, I've not found anything local to Sutton Coldfield, although I know that there are gamers out there.

To get my gaming fix, I have to head North to Spirit Games at Burton for Wednesday Night Board gaming from 7pm and also South to Moseley on Friday nights at Dragoon's Den

I can also recommend the excellent Afternoon Play which is in Birmingham on the first Sunday of the month (this coming Sunday)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nia Wearn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Indeed we are

Drop in and join us on the first Sunday of the month, from 2pm-5:30pm, at Urban Coffee, Church Street, Birmingham.

We're very friendly and open, with a good mix of games being played. We've been going close to 2 years now and there's a lovely mix of people that turn up with a good selection of games.

Hopefully we'll see you there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hill
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've known about the afternoon play for a while, but as a dad with kids, it's hard to get away for a length of time at the weekend...the lads expect me to be here to entertain them

I will definitely see if there is a chance I can make it though, as I've checked out your Facebook page and some of the pics show games I'd love to have a go at.

cheers all!

Russ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Victorius
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a weekly Thursday night games thing in Smethwick in the Thimbermill pub now too. The people from Farland's Games game in the pub.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roderick Chapman
England
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Below are the details for:

The Birmingham Wargames and Boardgames Club otherwise known as Dragoon's Den meets every friday from 6:45 till late; games can continue to 11:45pm. the Club meets at Moseley All Services Club, Church Road, Moseley. The venue has a large free car park and a bar.

The club have access to two rooms, although the main large room is more than adequate on most fridays.

Club members play various boardgames and primarily historical 15mm figure wargames. Periods played include Napoleonic, Ancients, ACW and 18th Century. Many of the members have figures and games for a variety of other periods and scales. Usually 2 to 3 boardgames get played and a card game down in the bar after. Please feel free to contact me or pop along one friday.

The Club also have a gaming session on the third sunday of every month.the next is on the 21st October.This starts from 12.15 through till 11.30pm, although some people come later in the afternoon and some go by early evening. The first sunday game attracted 8 boardgamers and 6 wargamers.

As an aside, like Chris, I live in Sutton Coldfield and it is odd that the north of the City and particularlt Sutton, hasn't got a club.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of a venue, I might be able to arrange use of a small village hall in Shenstone, about 60 seconds' walk from the railways station (on the cross city line from Erdington/Sutton). Would it be worth my chasing up as a potential venue for a north Birmingham club, or would people regard it as too far to travel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roderick Chapman
England
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard,
I would be interested and can think of 4 to 6 more people who possibly could be. I found and started up the Moseley based Dragoon's Den Club on fridays and every 3rd sunday, but a closer venue would appeal.My email address is:- chappersmess@yahoo.co.uk
Rod
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nia Wearn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We're expanding

We know the last few weeks have seen a measured increase in peeps turning up to play games at Afternoon Play

http://afternoonplay.tumblr.com/post/50151667825/afternoon-p...

from now on:
From 1pm (since people seem to be turning up to Urban earlier and earlier anyway) Afternoon Play will be at:

Urban Coffee Co - 30 Church Street - Upstairs - until 5pm
Coffee Lounge - 10-11 Navigation St - Downstairs - until 4:30pm

Next one AP#32 - 2nd of June

See you there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nia Wearn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's been while since we've plugged afternoon play - but we're celebrating our 3rd birthday this weekend coming...

Quote:
It's our third birthday! Join us on Sunday 3rd November from 2pm 'til 5pm to celebrate. Celebrations will principally be in the form of board games; so, pretty much the same as every other month, then.

You can find us upstairs at Urban Coffee (on the corner of Church Street/Edmund Street), or downstairs at Coffee Lounge (on the corner of Navigation Street/Stephenson Street).

Evening Play - and the proper birthday party will kick off upstairs at Cherry Red's on John Bright Street from 5pm

Afternoon Play is a monthly casual board game meet up. Newcomers are most welcome. Drop by and join in, or feel free to bring bring board games, card games, dice games, or anything else you think you could play in a coffee shop.

Facebook Event - https://www.facebook.com/events/726407264040362
Meetup - http://www.meetup.com/Board-and-Card-Game-Enthusiasts-Birmin...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hartwell
England
Billericay
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bump, I'm new and looking for a friendly not to serious bunch who can have a laugh.

I live in erdington but can drive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Curry & Games - Monday 27th January, Hastingwood Cafe, Wood Lane (the small industrial estate), Erdington - 5.30pm til about 10-ish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hartwell
England
Billericay
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers, found their facebook group yesterday and sent a message to see where it was
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hartwell
England
Billericay
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not going to be able to make the 27th, working away

As for a venue in Sutton, Ever thought of a social club that has a function room, e.g. Sutton Coldfield Town FC (has a bar to!)

To make it successful i guess you need quite a few people though

*EDIT* Not that the erdington one isnt suitable, just thinking something a little more regular (maybe every 2 weeks). Though not being to one of these before it could be over kill and not attract many people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Langford
United Kingdom
Burntwood
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I live in Burntwood and Shenstone/Sutton would be right up my street!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roderick Chapman
England
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian,

I and Chris Taylor both live in Sutton and go to the club below:-

The Birmingham Wargames and Boardgames Club otherwise known as Dragoon's Den meets every friday from 6:45 till late; games can continue to 11:45pm. the Club meets at Moseley All Services Club, Church Road, Moseley. The venue has a large free car park and a bar.

The club have access to two rooms, although the main large room is more than adequate on most fridays.

Club members play a wide variety of boardgames and primarily historical 15mm figure wargames. Periods played include Napoleonic, Ancients, ACW and 18th Century. Many of the members have figures and games for a variety of other periods and scales. Usually 2 to 3 boardgames get played and a card game down in the bar after. Please feel free to contact me or pop along one friday.

The Club also have a gaming session on the third sunday of every month.the next is on the 21st October.This starts from 12.15 through till 11.30pm, although some people come later in the afternoon and some go by early evening. The first sunday game attracted 8 boardgamers and 6 wargamers.

If you are interested in coming along please feel free. I'd normally offer a lift but I've taken my car into work today and going straight there. Normally I go from Sutton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hartwell
England
Billericay
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, ill today and birthday next week, hopefully week after
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fildes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
helpme1986 wrote:
Not going to be able to make the 27th, working away

As for a venue in Sutton, Ever thought of a social club that has a function room, e.g. Sutton Coldfield Town FC (has a bar to!)

To make it successful i guess you need quite a few people though

*EDIT* Not that the erdington one isnt suitable, just thinking something a little more regular (maybe every 2 weeks). Though not being to one of these before it could be over kill and not attract many people.

Ian, I also live in Erdington and I go to the Halesowen club every Wednesday (it's just over half an hour's drive from Chester Road). We play a variety of games and have been getting between 10 - 15 people each week, so there is usually something for everyone.

I know a few other gamers around Sutton who might be interested, I'll have a word with them as they may not have seen this thread.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Payton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Breathing life into the thread again...

Another North B'ham RPGer here - we exist, I'm available to play on a monday/tuesday night mainly, plus some fridays, most other nights are taken up by work. My preference is very much for old-school RPGing, I'm ok with an 'occasional' boardgame, but most modern RPG systems leave me a little non-enthused.

I'm currently travelling to Stafford on Saturday nights to a group there to get my fix, though we seem to be struggling to get everyone together at the moment.

I'm in Great Barr, so anywhere like Erdington/Sutton/Shenstone/Walsall would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like it's about time for another bump here.

I'm going to be working in Birmingham over the next few weeks (based within about a 5 minute walk of Birmingham New Street), and was wondering if there were any board game clubs in that sort of area which meet on week nights?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.