Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Koziey
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would like to get into TS. The only thing that is holding me back is finding opponents. Is it possible to play this game online? If so how? How difficult is it to find a game? I live in Southern Ontario so EST. Finally is it possible to start playing TS online without having played a FtF game??

Thanks in advance!

Brad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
wargameroom.com is your friend for playing live online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And welcome to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Koziey
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the recommendation to wargameroom. I assume that this site facilitates online play. Is there a site where players can meet up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Randall
United States
Jeffersonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like it's been over an hour so you've probably already found this out, but just so I know you haven't been left hanging....

Unless they've done a major rework since I've been there, Wargameroom both supplies the java files allowing you to play over the internet and also a chat-room type interface to find an opponent. You'll probably want to be the client unless you are savvy enough (and have access) to forward ports on your router to the correct IP address to the PC behind it. (presuming a normal home NAT type situation) This is a direct connection between your machine and your opponent's; wargameroom doesn't 3rd party host to both sides and that site essentially is unneeded once you are up and playing

(again, it's been quite a while, so someone with current usage correct me if I'm wrong here and I'll edit out the errors).

One thing I would definitely suggest doing is to play some against yourself to get a feel of the interface and perhaps even develop some strategy/tactics. All you have to do is open the game twice, identify one as the server and point the other "client" to your own machine. It will really help if you are lucky enough to have more than one PC on your home network and you can play with the machines right next to each other, but I have done it on the same machine. I thought I was lucky to have two different monitors to play on, but the version of the game (certainly an old one by now) would keep popping up all choices at the same location and my differing screen resolutions sometimes made one screen wonky. Whatever oddities you may face with your configuration, however, you can still get past that initial hump where your experienced opponent is waiting for you to simply get used to the interface.

Ah, that makes me itch to upgrade my version and try wargameroom myself again. It's been nice to recently receive and pull out the actual pieces of the deluxe version, but I still haven't found anybody nearby willing to tackle it face to face either.

Maybe I'll see you there, then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.