Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am getting very annoyed. I have been trying to track down some china markers either online or in-store somewhere in the GTA. I want to use them with my Empire Builder series of games.

These would be ideal:
http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Product/Sharpie_Peel-Off_China_M...

I have found some, but only in very limited colors. Many stores have white/black. A few more stores have white/black/yellow/red. No stores seem to have those colors plus green and blue.

Anyone aware of any stores in the GTA, or online, which sell china markers in at least black/red/green/blue colors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If China Markers are similar or identical to crayons, Curry's (and I assume most other art stores) carries water-soluble crayons in a wide selection of colours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thyssen
Canada
Sparta
ON
flag msg tools
adamthyssen.com
badge
adamthyssen.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a number of years since I worked there, but Midoco Office Supplies at Bloor and Bathurst used to carry them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Deifel
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Science supply companies?

http://www.fishersci.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After some searching, I couldn't come up with much. Perhaps you should ask this eBay seller if he or she would be willing to ship to Canada. An item that small shouldn't cost much to ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Peters
Canada
Vanderhoof
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having never played that game this suggestion may not work. Regular Sharpie markers (must be Sharpie brand) can be removed with either a white vinyl eraser (slow but works well) or can simply be colored over with a dry-erase marker then wiped clean (instantly!) with a paper towel or cloth.

I know it sounds dumb but it really works. As long as the surface is laminated it works every time. However, colors other than black may stain the surface if left on for a long time. I have left both black Sharpie and black dry-erase on some game components for months and it wiped clean. Be sure and test where it doesn't matter though.

spugnoid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Larkin
Canada
Carp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
China Marker?

How about Staples:

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_i_results.asp?txtSearc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatchling wrote:
If China Markers are similar or identical to crayons, Curry's (and I assume most other art stores) carries water-soluble crayons in a wide selection of colours.

Curry's only has black and white china markers. I need red/blue/green as well. I am already using crayola washable crayons, which wipe off without water, but do not go on the board very easily and tend to snap in half.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorage wrote:
It's been a number of years since I worked there, but Midoco Office Supplies at Bloor and Bathurst used to carry them.

I went through yellowpages.ca and Midoco was one I noted in the list. I will call them tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
After some searching, I couldn't come up with much. Perhaps you should ask this eBay seller if he or she would be willing to ship to Canada. An item that small shouldn't cost much to ship.

I actually found two online stores that have the colors I want, except they only ship in boxes of 12. I don't really need 12 of each color. I am thinking that I could probably get at least one person to split the cost with me.

There seems to only be two readily available brands of china markers: Sanford (Sharpie) or Dixon. Apparently, despite listing all the colors on their website, Sanford only supplies white/black/yellow/red (no green or blue) in Canada. So I have to specifically search for Dixon brand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
srlarkin wrote:

Unfortunately, they only sell black and white.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deifeln wrote:
Science supply companies?

http://www.fishersci.com

Unfortunately, they only have the Sandford brand in black/white/red/yellow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
tatoolo wrote:

I actually found two online stores that have the colors I want, except they only ship in boxes of 12. I don't really need 12 of each color.

As I understand it, the listing is for 12 pencils of assorted colours, not 12 pencils of the same colour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Fox
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this site:

http://www.markingpendepot.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kymfox01 wrote:

It has all the colors and an extremely good price. If I lived in the US, I would order from them for sure. However, I don't want to risk a brokerage fee & duty plus the wait time by ordering from California. Thanks for pointing it out, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I am spent a lot of time searching and have settled on three online possibilities. I am going to call the five local places I discovered tomorrow morning, and if no luck there, place an online order. I will update this thread for the curious tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
I am already using crayola washable crayons, which wipe off without water, but do not go on the board very easily and tend to snap in half.

Have you tried the "Crayola Beginnings" line of washable crayons made for toddlers? They're sturdier to put up with the abuse a toddler puts through any toy, and they're triangular-prism shaped rather than cylindrical, so they won't roll away on you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
A film supply store is your best bet. I have purchased from these guys without a problem and you can buy markers one at a time.

http://www.filmtools.com/margreaschin.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently, there is an "Ontario College of Art & Design" in downtown Toronto. Nearby are several relatively large art supply stores milking the students of said college. At least two of them claim to have exactly what I want. So the search has come to an end!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OCAD? Yeah, they're uh, huge, in that area. Right near the Art Gallery of Ontario IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Tousignant
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I can't seem to find anything in their online store, but you may want to try Michaels.

I know at work we use these and get them from Grand and Toy. Again looking online I only see Black and White but I know we have yellow and blue which we use for witness marking. I think quite a bit of these stores don't sell their full product lines through their websites. If you have a way to get a Grand and Toy catalogue you may be able to find coloured ones.

Another thought it Costco. I know over the years I have gotten a wide variety of stationary, pens, paper etc there in nice big bulk sets that will last you years.

Sorry I don't have anything specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it seems office supply stores only carry white and black.

Michael's doesn't have them and the employees I talked to had no idea what I was talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frak! These things are Grease Pencils, have you tried searching with that phrase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

http://www.dickblick.com/categories/markingpencils/

And I second Paul Q's recommendation for FilmTools: http://www.filmtools.com/stabilo.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
OCAD? Yeah, they're uh, huge, in that area.

Yep... just look for the giant spotted box on stilts. Can't miss it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.