Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Eder
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!
This is my first review ever. Most games I own and have been played have been thoroughly reviewed, so there wasnt a lot of need to throw my opinions out there. I am writing this review as someone who has played 5 times 2-player only. I havent really read much of the strategies online my wife and I have discovered the game on our own.

-Background-
My wife and I have been gaming for about 2 years. Our collection has around 50-60 games, mostly Euro-style. Most of the games are within the top 200 on BGG.

-Gameplay-
Im not going to go through the gameplay in detail, because I think that is already fairly well covered in the other reviews. With that I will get on with what I think of the game.

-Comments-
:star: I really like the way that the economic engine gets going and the difficult decisions that must be made. The most common decision that I find myself facing is "should I take income now and go after that higher point route" -or- "should I use the money I have to build the lower route and then take income (thereby getting more money out of the income). It's this type of decision that determines how fast the economic engine can get up to top speed.

:star: I have read several comments that bleeding out the short route deck to a fast second vacation is a good/unstoppable way to win. I think that in 2 player games, that becomes almost impossible. In most of the games with my wife, we both wind up with about 4 or 5 - 1 routes and 2 or 3 - 3 routes. At most, this is 16 cards. This means we're going through about 10 cards out of the deck. To get to the second vacation, you would need to burn through another 8 cards. I think this method is pretty slow, and if the other person can get a couple 7 routes en route to their final flight, I think it would be difficult to win. That said, I think the balance in the 2 player game is good.

:halfstar: As for components, the board is eye-catching, the pieces and cards are sturdy, and the colors are easy to identify. One of my biggest complaints, however, is that many routes are very hard to keep track of on the board. Some of the link identifying "planes" printed on the board appear alongside one route, but are actually marking a different route. I wish that these indicators had been printed onto the route arrows themselves to help avoid this confusion (though Im not surfe how many planes wind up on a route in a 6 player game...)

:halfstar: One possible concern point is the "luck of the draw." You never know what cards are going to come up next, and who they are going to be helpful for. We played one game where the first set of cards were fairly well distributed but the next 4 or 5 cards all came out in one area of the board. That meant whoever had already built in this area was at a distinct advantage, As for me, I dont really find this a major issue, but some could find it discouraging.

:nostar: I want to point out that setup and teardown are a bit tedious. We wanted to restart a game after the outcome was fairly clear, but it took almost as long as getting the game out of the box. That said, it's not unmanageable, just a minor annoyance.

:nostar: The biggest problem that I have encountered in the 2 player game is the trouble when neither person wants to build. With only 3 long routes available at any time, if they all include cities no one has built toward, then the deck can stall until someone decides to "push forward" or if both people decide to only focus on the other deck. Im not sure a great way to fix this issue, but we have seen it come up at least once in our 5 games.

-Similarities-
Ive read that this is a more advanced version of Ticket to Ride. I see the similarities (building a network based on connecting destinations), but I think it's significantly more advanced than that. From my collection, I would say this game is actually closest in feeling to the crayon rail series. The concept of slowly building a network by "delivering" short trips and then moving up to longer routes without any change in the mechanics is very similar in both games. Of course, the main difference being that anyone can deliver any of the routes.

-Final Thoughts-
Both of us really enjoyy this game. All but one of the games has been very close. I think that for anyone that enjoys the ticket to ride style of play but is looking for something heavier should consider this. Anyone that enjoys some of the lighter "train" games would really enjoy this as well. Also, at a price of only around $20 US in the marketplace, this game is a steal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job. Though your stars are borked, not sure if that's your fault or not with the troubles today.

mulliganm wrote:
Some of the link identifying "planes" printed on the board appear alongside one route, but are actually marking a different route. I wish that these indicators had been printed onto the route arrows themselves to help avoid this confusion

Haven't run into this myself. The wing of the plane is physically joined to the route it marks.

Quote:
The biggest problem that I have encountered in the 2 player game is the trouble when neither person wants to build. With only 3 long routes available at any time, if they all include cities no one has built toward, then the deck can stall until someone decides to "push forward" or if both people decide to only focus on the other deck.

That's why the "pay $1 to fill up an entire row to max" rule is there. If you want more long routes, pay the buck and fill it up to 6 before you take your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Eder
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
mulliganm wrote:
Some of the link identifying "planes" printed on the board appear alongside one route, but are actually marking a different route. I wish that these indicators had been printed onto the route arrows themselves to help avoid this confusion

Haven't run into this myself. The wing of the plane is physically joined to the route it marks.

I know. Just sometimes (espcially in the middle and top left of the board I find it gets a little confusing. I just have to take a moment to make sure I am looking at the right route. As I said, not a major issue, just a minor inconvenience.

mulliganm wrote:
:nostar: The biggest problem that I have encountered in the 2 player game is the trouble when neither person wants to build. With only 3 long routes available at any time, if they all include cities no one has built toward, then the deck can stall until someone decides to "push forward" or if both people decide to only focus on the other deck.

That's why the "pay $1 to fill up an entire row to max" rule is there. If you want more long routes, pay the buck and fill it up to 6 before you take your turn.

Aha! I just rechecked the rules and we had been playing wrong. We had been playing that the max and min in 2 player in the long row was 3. For now, this is a non-issue I think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolai Broen Thorning
Denmark
Ebeltoft
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mulliganm wrote:

mulliganm wrote:
The biggest problem that I have encountered in the 2 player game is the trouble when neither person wants to build. With only 3 long routes available at any time, if they all include cities no one has built toward, then the deck can stall until someone decides to "push forward" or if both people decide to only focus on the other deck.

Aha! I just rechecked the rules and we had been playing wrong. We had been playing that the max and min in 2 player in the long row was 3. For now, this is a non-issue I think!

We've played 13 games or so and read it the same way as you - min/ max 3 cards in the long fligh row...

Interesting to see how the next game turns out.

Thank you Steven for pointing it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mulliganm wrote:
Some of the link identifying "planes" printed on the board appear alongside one route, but are actually marking a different route.
and color matched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palau Life
msg tools
With all the expansions out now, we actually prefer this as a 2P (versus 4-6). We think it sings with some of the expansion decks, as well as the hub mechanic! Have you revisited this perchance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rudolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rugbydave wrote:
With all the expansions out now, we actually prefer this as a 2P (versus 4-6). We think it sings with some of the expansion decks, as well as the hub mechanic! Have you revisited this perchance?

Which expansion(s) do you prefer to play with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Gould
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
My personal favorites are Hotels and Charter Flights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.