Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey BGGers - you are wise and you are experienced. Please help out my gaming group by answering this query. What's the point of going to Warsaw?

As we played the game, although players a few times wanted to change the card tableau, they were wary of going to Warsaw to change them. "Why do that, when I have to wait until my turn comes back up to take a card?"

I can see that when you're well back from the other players this would be a more sensible choice, as you just go there, spend a week and then would likely get another turn right away. But when the players stay relatively close this may not be possible.

It just seems that the Administrator role in Thurn and Taxis is more logical - change the cards and then get the option to take one. It would seem in this game the "sacrifice" of paying time to move to Warsaw plus the extra week to change the cards would be enough.

So help me out - any good strategies here? Or do I concede to my gaming group which is clamoring for a house rule to do the same as we do in T&T?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Though Thebes ain't a very strategic game, I've seen Warsaw used near the end-game, when one player is sitting in, say, Moscow, and is pretty far behind. Goes to warsaw to nuke the cards, and get some options. But yeah, it's not used very much. It's NEVER used unless you 1) can do again right away or 2) you want to nuke cards that will be $$$$ for another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
It helps if you're trying to push an exhibition off the board before another player can cash in on it, and if you are hoping to reveal an exhibition that you can perform. And, when one player is lagging way behind on time, they can use it to try and reveal a mass of congress cards in order to stock up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DancerInDC wrote:
"Why do that, when I have to wait until my turn comes back up to take a card?"

I can see that when you're well back from the other players this would be a more sensible choice, as you just go there, spend a week and then would likely get another turn right away.

That's it. If the tableau sucks, I'm near Warsaw and I'll be getting a turn or 2 in a row, it's a good move. I'd never change the tableau if I wasn't going to be taking another turn immediately unless maybe to deny cards to someone else, but that's a stretch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other possible reason is in hopes of gaining the most specific knowledge in one of the colours/dig sites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.