Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stumbled across http://www.faqs.org/websites/boardgamegeek.com where the entry states:

Quote:
Most of the time when people give a the name of the website, I am usually reading the website over and over aging trying to figure out what is the website about. But for those who are so into technology, they make sure when they built a website, and they tell people about it these people will what exactly the website is all about. For example, let's take a look at boardgamegeek.com, this is a site design for people who spend most of the time on the internet playing games, and site is exactly what the name say it is. In this website you can find almost any types of game here. Their game topics range from Games, Random game, categories, Mechanics, Review, sessions, Game Forums, image, files, designers, and publishers. There is even a geek list link and a geek store on the site. But the most important link on the site is game category link. In this link they categorize the games alphabetically, for instance, under that link you can find, Action dexterity, American Indian war, American west, American civil war, Ancient, Animal, and so on. They have every single game all the way to World War II. I have to say that this is truly a website built for a geek.
(my emphasis)

Sadly to anyone who knows BGG their main contention, that this is a site for people playing games on the internet, is obviously wrong and rather amusingly reverses the author's notion that s/he can immediately tell what the site is about just from the name.

I added a comment
Quote:
"this is a site design for people who spend most of the time on the internet playing games".

Actually, it's not. It's a website for people who spend time playing board games ie. games that aren't played on the computer/internet. The reviews, forums etc are about real, physical games. Anything about gaming online is about spin-offs ie computer/internet versions of board games.

Which just goes to show that you can't, in this case at least, judge a site by its name, and that the main premise of this article is incorrect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.