Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Peters-Campbell
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking through the rules, I'm intrigued by the option to pick random pilots. I don't honestly know much about the realities of the historical situation, but it seems like maybe random assignment would be a bit more realistic and might make for some more interesting "make do with what you have" kinds of choices. Does anyone have any thought/insight on that?

Also if you choose pilots at random, is the idea that you still get the bonus points for the non-Phantom aircraft that you draw, or are those bonus points subsumed in the points gained for taking the random choice?

Thanks much, really looking forward to getting this on the table!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Ian - Yes, you still get the SO bonus points for aircraft as normal.

For me, I like both selecting pilots to put together the best squadron I can, and also as you said "making do" with the random method. The simple change in squadron set-up gives a campaign two entirely different feels.

In the first case, I feel like I've been allowed to hand-pick pilots for a vital campaign. In the second case, I feel like the commander taking over an existing squadron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Peters-Campbell
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first campaign (Short War in the South, Navy) to get a feel for the game tonight, and did poorly. I definitely feel like I got a somewhat better handle on the mechanics though, and looking forward to playing more. After just two games I can pretty easily imagine pilots would be screaming at the top of their lungs "ECM ECM ECM! I NEED it! You have NO idea what it's like out there!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Haeberling
Switzerland
CH-8570 Weinfelden
TG
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Looking through the rules, I'm intrigued by the option to pick random pilots. I don't honestly know much about the realities of the historical situation, but it seems like maybe random assignment would be a bit more realistic and might make for some more interesting "make do with what you have" kinds of choices. Does anyone have any thought/insight on that?

It will definitely be more 'realistic'. Especially when you get one or even both Starfighters. I tend to use these aircraft only in emergencies when no other are available. So in fact my squadron is smaller than allowed and this is very realistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holly Verssen

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
When I select my own pilots, I tend to lean toward the Fast guys, regardless of the plane they are in. I like clearing a path to the target without being shot at much if I can help it (instead of dodging and weaving around flying bullets). With a selected squadron, I get exactly what I want and I can tailor it to the campaign I'm flying.

When I play with a random selection I need to take a lot more time to figure out a strategy. Often, I get better results with a random squadron than I would by playing an airborne sludghammer, and of course there is the advantage of having those extra SO points. I love spending SO points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.