United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thinking out loud here.

Wildlife Safari seems like a game you could play with the Decktet, but with more screwage possibilities as each card has two suits.

Idea: Take out the aces of each suit. Use these aces to set up the game board (six cards face up). Take out two cards in a four player game, 3 in a three player game, and four in a two player game.

Treat pawns as zero value, crowns as 1 value, and number cards as the value listed.

You need 6 chips in six different colors that match the six suits.

On your turn you play a card in a pile that matches the suit of the ace card and then you take a chip in any color. (Special two player rule: You cannot take a chip in the color of the suit you just played).

Once there are six cards in any suit, the game ends.

If there are not six cards in a suit, the game ends when the last card is played.

Your score is your chips of a color multiplied the last number played in that matching color suit.

Will it work? Is it better than the original Loco!? Let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Loco! with a Decktet
I played this tonight and came up with the following changes.

5 chips per color (instead of 6).
Treat the pawns as 1 value, and the crowns as 10 value.

Take out the excuse card and 2 cards in a 4 player game, excuse and 1 card in a 3 player game and excuse and 2 cards in a 2 player game. It should be possible to play with 5, in which case the excuse card will be added a wild card of blank value, and no cards are taken away.

The game play is still play a card matching the suit on a pile, and take a chip. (In a two player game, you cannot take a chip in the suit you just played)

The game ends when there are six cards (not including the ace) of a suit in play. Note that you cannot change the suit that started the pile.

Scoring remains the same.

It seems to play like a more strategic version of Loco! with players having more control in responding to other players thanks to the two suits of the deck.

I'm going to call it "Moco!"--assuming there's not already a Loco variant for the Decktet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about making my own botswana deck....but I'm curious about trying this out. Have you played it since you've come up with it? Has it held up or have you moved on to other games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
by the way did you mean pawns and courts equal zero? or just the pawns? And if so do you not use the courts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
I've been thinking about making my own botswana deck....but I'm curious about trying this out. Have you played it since you've come up with it? Has it held up or have you moved on to other games?

I think it works well, I like it better than original. I have the pawns worth 1 instead of zero since there is no need for a zero. You could choose to play the crowns as 1s and the pawns as 10s, but it just doesn't make sense thematically. My deck doesn't have courts so I don't know how they would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cool! have you thought about uploading it to the decktet wiki? It would be nice to have a consolidated ruleset over there.

http://decktet.wikidot.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I requested an account with the decktet wiki and never heard back from the. That was a year ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm that's wacky...it should have all be like those automated response things, I don't think PD needs to approve users or anything. I think it might be worth trying again....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You no longer need a separate registration for the Decktet Wiki. Having a wikidot account is enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
cool! have you thought about uploading it to the decktet wiki? It would be nice to have a consolidated ruleset over there.

http://decktet.wikidot.com/

Added to the Decktet Wiki here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.