Doom: The Boardgame» Forums » Rules

Subject: Are weapons community property? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from being thematically nonsensical, assuming the movement works out, am i understanding the rules correctly that marine A can attack with a weapon, hand it off to B, who in turn attacks with it and then hands it off to C, who attacks with it and hands it back to A?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct. A rather useful way of handing the BFG around, if the marines have the MPs to do so (but they will probably be firing un-aimed shots, so will be using a lot of ammo).

While this is acceptable by the RAW some players don't like it and rule that the weapon can only be used by one player per turn. I'm personally okay with the weapon being passed around. I mean one marine can shoot it twice (sometimes 3 times, depending on marine cards), so why can't 3 marines shot it once?

Besides, the game is hard enough on the marines, let 'em have a break

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks; it's good to know that i'm reading them correctly. I definitely fall into the camp that doesn't like that part. Since everything is supposed to be happening at the same time, i just don't think weapons should be able to be passed around willy-nilly. Since a nice chunk of the game is theme, i definitely think there are better ways to give the marines a break. And if not, they just have to suck it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is, how would you regulate that? Like I said, a weapon could be used 3 times in one turn by one marine. What kind of house-rule can you put into play that would keep the marines from doing this? Marines cannot use weapons that have already been used that turn? But what's the difference from one marine firing 3 times to 3 marines firing once?

In the games I've played, this rarely happens since like I said it means a lot of firing without aiming, and that uses ammo up real quick. As an OL, you should be happy they're willing to do that...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule doesn't bother me either, though I never saw such weapon swap happen during games (probalby for the reasons listed by Shnar, plus it uses movement points that are often precious). It has the advantage of being 1 single rule for all stuff that marines can exchange, simple to remember. The main use I've seen for this rule is when a marine runs out of ammo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Marines need all the help they can get. And if they want to burn the ammo, have at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see that this is so difficult to implement: weapons can only be used by one marine each round. With every marine card being an exception, it's not like there aren't plenty to go around. The way we look at it, a marine being able to fire two or three times a turn represents the fact that he can keep track of the invaders during a firefight better than most. To us, every marine can technically make three attacks a turn, but anything above their cards is effectively blind firing, and is abstracted out.

I see what you're saying from an invader standpoint, but it still feels forced to me, and we're more into co-op anyway. Besides, chainsaws aren't ammo-dependent, and depending on how you play it, the plasma gun is better than most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caffeinehead wrote:
I see what you're saying from an invader standpoint, but it still feels forced to me, and we're more into co-op anyway.

If it feels forced, then just don't play that way. Why house-rule something you're not doing anyways?

As for more than one marine firing, I'm coming from the point of view that WeaponA can only be used X-number of turns per turn, rather than used by Y-number of marines per turn. Just makes more sense to me (if Marine Y can fire twice, why can't he fire once and give to Marine B and let him fire the second time?). All of which adds unnecessary bookeeping overhead.

IMHO, just play it as it's written. It rarely comes up anyways, and when it does, it's that one last-gasp-superheroic act you see in video games anyways

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(grin) Not playing as written *is* a house rule.

I'm all for people that aren't us passing weapons around; it's not like i was trying to sway people to our way of thinking. You gotta understand: i grew up on Battletech, so you'll often find me trying to detail-up rules in places i find them lacking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.