Subject: The bolter rules assistance thread (help needed) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am teaching myself how to play ASL and have a few (hundred) questions + a few things that I would like to make sure that I am doing right. I am just going to post them here and hope people can help.

Situation 1: A 4-6-7 HMG opens fire on a 4-4-7 in the movement phase (defensive first fire) and rolls a two on the coloured die, under its ROF. The target is out of LOS when it is checked (in 1M7 firing at 1O4).
Question 1: how/where is the first fire counter placed?
Question 2: what fire options exist for this squad if a new target appears?

Situation 2: Three 6-2-8 and a 10-2 leader is hit with a 1/KIA result (yes, I know stacking is bad). The random selection rolls are 5,5,4,5 (the four is a 6-2-8). This mean that two squads and the leader are eliminated right?

Situation 3: A 6-2-8 rocks thorough a street hex with a 1 firepower fire lane running through it. The die roll is snake eyes. 2 -1 for non assault more, -1 for no cover equals a final total of 0. You just use the equal or less than zero column of the IFT which give you a 1KIA right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
bolter wrote:
Situation 1: A 4-6-7 HMG opens fire on a 4-4-7 in the movement phase (defensive first fire) and rolls a two on the coloured die, under its ROF. The target is out of LOS when it is checked (in 1M7 firing at 1O4).
1) If you added the Inherent FP to your shot (as your example seems to indicate), the squad is marked by a First Fire counter, and the HMG is not marked (however, if firing from a building or woods, you will have to place a CA marker as the HMG's further fire will be limited to that CA).

2) Either it fires the HMG alone (hoping to keep ROF) or it chooses to use Subsequent First Fire.
In that latter case, it may opt not to fire the HMG (to avoid sustained fire penalties), but the HMG will still be marked with a Final Fire counter as the squad.
Remember, too, that Subsequent First Fire may only be fired at a target that is closer or at the same range as the nearest enemy unit...

bolter wrote:
Situation 2: Three 6-2-8 and a 10-2 leader is hit with a 1/KIA result (yes, I know stacking is bad). The random selection rolls are 5,5,4,5 (the four is a 6-2-8). This mean that two squads and the leader are eliminated right?
Yes. And the remaining 628 is broken and will have to pass a LLMC (with a +2 DRM penalty, due to the leadership or the lost leader).

bolter wrote:
Situation 3: A 6-2-8 rocks thorough a street hex with a 1 firepower fire lane running through it. The die roll is snake eyes. 2 -1 for non assault more, -1 for no cover equals a final total of 0. You just use the equal or less than zero column of the IFT which give you a 1KIA right?
Right.
And the Firelane hits at the same power even if your 628 was dashing across the street.
Note, too, that cowering does not apply to a Fire Lane.

I hope the two last situations did not occur in the same scenario : that would be bad luck... But in ASL such nasty things do happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for such a detailed and prompt reply.

Both of these events happened in the first turn of the game. I was soloing a game of "The Guards Counter Attack" after reading an example of play.

It is good to know how the first fire counter is placed. I stopped playing to wait for a response so I can still make the LLMC that I forgot. I completely missed that. The fire lane massacre made me laugh as that is the first time I have used fire lane rules.

Back to the game now, I can do the next impulse of the Guard's human wave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also subscribe to the Space Hulk forum and when I saw "bolter" I thought I was heading to the Space Hulk forum.

The answers to your questions seemed correct to me. Your first question was a bit vague so the answer is a bit vague as well. So can't be sure that the answer is 100% correct, but it looks good.

If you feel inclined to try VASL (online ASL) I would be happy to teach you the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
I also subscribe to the Space Hulk forum and when I saw "bolter" I thought I was heading to the Space Hulk forum.

A bolter is a 25LL ROF:3 with no B# but an X: DOUBLES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
bolter wrote:
1) If you added the Inherent FP to your shot (as your example seems to indicate), the squad is marked by a First Fire counter, and the HMG is not marked (however, if firing from a building or woods, you will have to place a CA marker as the HMG's further fire will be limited to that CA).

2) Either it fires the HMG alone (hoping to keep ROF) or it chooses to use Subsequent First Fire.
In that latter case, it may opt not to fire the HMG (to avoid sustained fire penalties), but the HMG will still be marked with a Final Fire counter as the squad.
Remember, too, that Subsequent First Fire may only be fired at a target that is closer or at the same range as the nearest enemy unit...

Don't forget that SFF must also be in normal range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:

The answers to your questions seemed correct to me. Your first question was a bit vague so the answer is a bit vague as well. So can't be sure that the answer is 100% correct, but it looks good.

If you feel inclined to try VASL (online ASL) I would be happy to teach you the game.

Who would have guessed that a fellow hulker is lurking here. I must admit that I have posted a fair bit on the space hulk forum but I guess this thread will be my new home for a while.

Next question.

Three 6-2-8s move into the same hex as a broken German squad in the movement phase (the German squad broke because of prep fire). Does the broken squad stop the 6-2-8 moving to attack the unbroken German stack lurking in the next hex? Also, if the russian stack stops in the same hex as the broken German infantry is marked with a CC counter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bolter wrote:
Three 6-2-8s move into the same hex as a broken German squad in the movement phase (the German squad broke because of prep fire). Does the broken squad stop the 6-2-8 moving to attack the unbroken German stack lurking in the next hex? Also, if the russian stack stops in the same hex as the broken German infantry is marked with a CC counter?

You can only enter an enemy-occupied location during the Advance Phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
You can only enter an enemy-occupied location during the Advance Phase.
There are some exceptions :
- the Attacker Infantry is Berserk
- the Defender is not only broken, but Disrupted
- the Attacker is a vehicle

(+ moving into a Kunai/Jungle hex with a stealthy HIP Defender... but that is PTO fun...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+the Attacker is in a Human Wave
+the Defender is a lone SMC (SMC OVR - requires roll before doing)
+the Defender is a Dummy (can enter any hex with only enemy '?', but you will get bounced back out if they are not Dummies)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the russian squads are part of a human wave attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They can't move on after they enter a hex with an enemy unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, now I can continue the game. I put on hold till this was sorted as it could have made a big difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.