Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Frontline: D-Day» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scenario 1, Pegasus Bridge question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Siegel has Command 3 but the 1st Campaign scenario gives him 3 Soldiers in his Section. I'm guessing that this is a misprint.

Which is correct? Should we remove 1 of the 3 Soldiers under his command {and who?} or change Siegel with someone else who has Command 4?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Krach
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know,but maybe one of the soldiers has "Assistent" and does not count to the Command rating. Just an idea.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Haeberling
Switzerland
CH-8570 Weinfelden
TG
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Siegel has Hamel in his section. Hamel is an Assistant. So this is not a misprint.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Periplaneta wrote:
I don't know,but maybe one of the soldiers has "Assistent" and does not count to the Command rating. Just an idea.


Christian I checked it immediately and you are right!

One Soldier has the Assistant ability and doesn't count towards the Command limit.

I've played with Siegel as a Leader before and knew that he has Command 3, so I never actually bothered to see the other Soldier cards when reading the scenario from the rulebook.

I just noticed that he has more Soldiers in his Section than his Command rating allows and posted it here.

I've never bothered with actually setting up this scenario to see the Assistant card because I wanted to see errata first! meeple

I'm going to set it up today and play it out finally.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holly Verssen

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
Just a heads-up for scenario #2 Pointe du Hoc.
There IS a misprint involving the assistant. German section leader Jager is given Goldberg and Nadel.

Nadel should actually be Hamel, the assistant.
Sorry for the misprint.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Pegasus Bridge for the first time solo today.

I got the UK forces and managed to hold until turn 6. I still have to play many more times to "get" the strategy right but I really really enjoy how hard it is to beat the solitaire opposition.

Easy solitaire games provide no challenge for long-term replayability.

A question popped up though:

The scenario allows a "free" Advance for all German forces except the Infantry Gun at the start of their turns.

A mortar team moves by using this rule? Because there is a solitaire rule that prevents Infantry Guns, Mortars etc. from Advancing. They choose to attack instead.

The scenario rules trump Solitaire rules though so I played it that the Mortar team advances using the above rule BUT they never Advance when it's their turn as per the normal Solitaire rules.

Is this correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmb
Vasilis - The Germans get a move, but only select from sections that can move. As you point out, AI Mortars etc, never move.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DanVerssen wrote:
Vasilis - The Germans get a move, but only select from sections that can move. As you point out, AI Mortars etc, never move.


Dan, thank you for the quick answer but just to be sure, this is one case that the solitaire rules supersede the scenario rules?

Pegasus Bridge allows every unit to move except the Infantry Gun which is also forbidden to move from the Solitaire rules. Mortar team isn't mentioned though which also is forbidden to move from the Solitaire rules, so I figured that it should move. You said that it will never move though.
I think this should be mentioned in the manual or a future FAQ release because the manual states that scenario rules trump solitaire rules and this creates confusion IMHO.

P.S. This is a great game! I'm enjoying it. I really like how hard solitaire AI is without making me feel that it "cheats",


P.S. 2
And 1 more question irrelevant with Pegasus Bridge:

If I Prepare, my solo AI opponent draws a Solitaire card and executes the General Info part and the Pin,Reloads part only.

Is any unit of his turned from Unused to Used or this is a "free" Prepare for him?

Generally, is there any possibility at all for the Solo AI to execute the Prepare action and turn one of their units from Unused to Used or it is always a "free" Prepare?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holly Verssen

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
Vasilis,

Whenever you choose to Prepare, the AI gets to freely draw a solitaire card and perform General and Recovery instructions. The AI does not flip a counter to Acted for doing this.

The AI never gets to perform a Prepare option. AI must always rely on recovery information to regain ammo and do other Prepare-type actions.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HollyVerssen wrote:
Vasilis,

Whenever you choose to Prepare, the AI gets to freely draw a solitaire card and perform General and Recovery instructions. The AI does not flip a counter to Acted for doing this.

The AI never gets to perform a Prepare option. AI must always rely on recovery information to regain ammo and do other Prepare-type actions.


ΟΚ. That's how I played it. Thanks.

I only asked because I read that some people over at Consimworld forums have been flipping the AI to Acted for performing a Solitaire AI Prepare reaction {I mean performing General & Recovery isntructions only} after the player did his own Prepare action.

Maybe someone should clarify that over there because I don't have an account. I wanted to post there after I read it but I couldn't! laugh


P.S. What about the Mortar question I posted above? Is this a mistake in the rules? Maybe the Pegasus Bridge solitaire scenario rules should mention that the Infantry Gun AND the Mortar team don't get to advance.

Otherwise it creates conflicts with the rule that says that Scenario rules trump Solitaire rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Haeberling
Switzerland
CH-8570 Weinfelden
TG
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the mortar thing should be clarified.

The general rules are quite clear though:

Quote:
Enemy Armored Vehicles, Mortars, Infantry Guns, and Snipers do not Advance at this time. They always use the Attack option.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Avramandis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
habchr wrote:
The general rules are quite clear though:

Quote:
Enemy Armored Vehicles, Mortars, Infantry Guns, and Snipers do not Advance at this time. They always use the Attack option.



Vasilis is asking about the bonus advance the Germans have, not the general rule about "heavy" weapons.

Every turn the Germans must advance a squad and the rule excludes only the AT.
So the Mortar is always firing instead of moving with a solo card, but does it moves with the advance rule?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Haeberling
Switzerland
CH-8570 Weinfelden
TG
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Vasilis is asking about the bonus advance the Germans have, not the general rule about "heavy" weapons.


You are correct and for this question I have no answer. So we have to wait for an answer by Dan Verssen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Avramandis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
habchr wrote:
You are correct and for this question I have no answer. So we have to wait for an answer by Dan Verssen.


It would be nice to have some numbers in front of paragraphs in the manual. Just for quick and easy reference .
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holly Verssen

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
In the solitaire rules (p. 34) under Target and Firepower it says: Enemy Armored Vehicles, Mortars, Infantry Guns, and Snipers do not Advance at this time. They always use the Attack option.

Several of the solitaire cards also mention Advancing a 2nd time, but those cards all have an * linking it to the Advance command. Only units that can follow the advance command can benefit from the * modifying the advance command.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HollyVerssen wrote:
In the solitaire rules (p. 34) under Target and Firepower it says: Enemy Armored Vehicles, Mortars, Infantry Guns, and Snipers do not Advance at this time. They always use the Attack option.

Several of the solitaire cards also mention Advancing a 2nd time, but those cards all have an * linking it to the Advance command. Only units that can follow the advance command can benefit from the * modifying the advance command.


This is perfectly clear.

The problem is the Pegasus Bridge Scenario bonus advance rule for the German solo AI.
Scenario rules trump solitaire rules right?
This scenario rule doesn't mention Mortar team but it does mention Infantry Gun. This is confusing.



Also, regarding the misunderstanding of the Solitaire Prepare action causing Solo AI units to flip to Acted, check here.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@379.yUhZaBKeT0v.0@.1dd47...

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?233@379.yUhZaBKeT0v.2@.1dd4...



Look at the middle column, Player turn under Prepare.

It mentions:
Quote:
Prepare: - Draw a new tactics card { Counts as an Action if not acted.} and only follow the top two areas.


This is wrong. This action is "free" for the AI and doesn't count as an Action if not acted as it says.

I don't have an account and can't post there. Someone with a Consimworld account should help the situation there before they all start flipping SoloAI units to Acted when they Prepare as a reaction. meeple
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmb
Vasilis -

Good points.

I will clear up the confusion on consimworld.

To be clear:
When the player Prepares during his turn, draw a card for the AI and resolve the top section only, which applies to all AI sections. This is not a AI section action, and does not flip a Not Acted counter.

If the AI performs an action during his turn, the player can have a section Prepare as normal in reaction.

In regard to rules, more specific rules over-ride more general rules:
In general, AI Guns, Mortars, and snipers do not move, but if a specific scenario has specific rules, they over-ride the more general scenario or solitaire rules.

Example:
In the case of Pegasus bridge, the Mortar section can be advanced with the special scenario "Advance at start of their turns" rule (because it is specific to the scenario).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DanVerssen wrote:
Vasilis -

Good points.

I will clear up the confusion on consimworld.

To be clear:
When the player Prepares during his turn, draw a card for the AI and resolve the top section only, which applies to all AI sections. This is not a AI section action, and does not flip a Not Acted counter.

If the AI performs an action during his turn, the player can have a section Prepare as normal in reaction.

In regard to rules, more specific rules over-ride more general rules:
In general, AI Guns, Mortars, and snipers do not move, but if a specific scenario has specific rules, they over-ride the more general scenario or solitaire rules.

Example:
In the case of Pegasus bridge, the Mortar section can be advanced with the special scenario "Advance at start of their turns" rule (because it is specific to the scenario).



Great Dan. Thank you. This clears it up a bit. Your previous post was about the Mortar team generally and not specifically I guess then, right?

DanVerssen wrote:
The Germans get a move, but only select from sections that can move. As you point out, AI Mortars etc, never move.






P.S. I guess one can "cheat" and choose for as much as he can the Mortar team as the Section to freely Advance at the beginning of the German turns thus lowering their Firepower.

This scenario is already hard for the UK, so every "cheat" counts!
The Germans are Reserve troops anyway. laugh

P.S. 2
Frontline is great! I'm eagerly awaiting for Down in Flames: Locked On. This can't come out soon enough. Keep up the good work.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DanVerssen wrote:
Vasilis -

Good points.

I will clear up the confusion on consimworld.

To be clear:
When the player Prepares during his turn, draw a card for the AI and resolve the top section only, which applies to all AI sections. This is not a AI section action, and does not flip a Not Acted counter.




Dan, the above clarification contradicts your response from your #109 message in page http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@213.R5DaaUZhU1w.4@.1dd47...

So, I have to ask again for a second time.

Does any AI Section flip to Acted as a reaction {executing the top two rows of the Solo card} everytime the player Prepares during his turn or not?

You have given answers that contradict each other and I still don't know which is correct... gulp

I played it based on the quoted answer above, essentially giving the AI "free" prepares when it reacted to my Prepare actions since I didn't flip them to Acted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.