Chris Morse
England
Barnard Castle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
not the nose, not the nose!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroquest has to be THE game for families playing with kids, wanting to play a game of something other than 'kiddy' games. When you see the big box, open it up and find a board showing lots of well painted rooms, you see the hoard of figures and furniture, all the doors, dice and spell cards you really do feel like you've hit gold.
The family sits round to play the game, and what do you know, the game is exciting and only takes a few minutes to learn. Everyone quickly gets into the spirit of an adventure, ahouting for help or issuing commands. They all gather round and talk strategies...where shall we go, where is the trap, where is the hidden door?

The combat system is genius. No looking through rule books, measuring distance, rolling for chance etc, just roll some dice and if you get a skull you've scored a hit, roll a shield and you've defended. Job done.
And ultimately, IMO this is the weakest aspect of the game too.
It's so simple, so fun, and yet by the time your half way though the many adventures supplied that make up the overall quest to destroy the Witch Lord, your characters will have found enough gold and equipment to all be almost invincible. They will (except for the Wizard...if anyone is actually playing him, which is doubtful as the weakest character) all be wearing armour, fighting with axe's and rolling so many dice in attack and defence that creatures which only have 1 body point (life) are'nt much of a threat any more.

One of the beauties of the game here though is you can customise away and start adding your own harder creatures, maybe with more lives, make your own traps, add a few more treasure cards in, but with that amount of work involved in finding figures and producing cards etc you start to think it's time to move on and buy Descent or a similar more advanced Dungeon crawler.

But, the journey to that point was a lot of fun, as a family you probably had a lot of laughs and learnt to work as a team, something you wouldn't have got watching Eastenders together!

Conclusion? There is hidden treasure! Heroquest for me is THE starting game for young (in age) adventurers, that gives them a taste of what adventure games can be. Well worth snapping up if you see a copy, which can be had reasonably on eBay (I got mine for £10).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
All true!
If you download a copy of the US rules the creatures all get BP bumps, which makes it harder. Plus all the expansion quest books are available to keep things fresh . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has got a lot to answer for - it really sent me down the path of being interested in board games, role-playing games and fantasy stuff in general (well, this and Talisman I suppose). A great game with components that are still better than most modern games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Heac0ck
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can fondly recall forgoing recess in 3rd grade in order to stay in the classroom and play this game. The teacher agreed (somewhat puzzled), and allowed us to stay inside. This was my gateway and before too long found my FsomewhatLGS in search of expansion packs. Never found the expansions but was exposed to Battletech, Supremacy, Warhammer, and a ton of other great games. *sigh* If only I had the free time and willing group today......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.