7 Posts

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Toad question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Olsen

Massachusetts
msg tools
We played a game the other day where someone went to attack another player but that player played a spell turning him into a toad. He declared attack so he did fight as a toad but was not killed in the combat. He had to drop all of his items when he became a toad and the player that played the spell claimed he could pick up all of the items and followers. The rules say you have to be killed in combat for another character to get all of your stuff. He was there before and did not actually land on the items. Can he grab everything in this case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gicante
United States
Peculiar
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The player that cast the spell must leave the space on his next turn. Then he has to come back to the space to pick the items up. That's how my group plays it. I have no rules to back it up. We just feel it works better for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say no.
You can either encounter the space or a Character in the space.
As soon as the Character was transformed into a Toad did all his belongings become part of the space, and so is up for grabs for anyone encountering the SPACE - which in this case would mean the player had to leave and return.

Killing a Toad doesn't give you any spoils as the little sod cannot carry anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
England
Barnard Castle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
not the nose, not the nose!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Items have to be dropped (a toad can't carry objects and there is no object tab on the toad card) anyone landing on the objects (and gold as well which has to be dropped) can be picked up by anyone.
Followers are kept by the Toad player, though not used as a toad (also no follower tab on the toad card), when the toad reverts the followers rejoin.

That's the way I've always read it in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toad has to ditch Objects and Followers (and Gold). Only thing he keeps are Spells, but can't use them while Toaded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Olsen

Massachusetts
msg tools
Thanks. I was out voted 7-1 on this and I knew I was right. Now I have something to back it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite simple, actually. You can only encounter a space (i.e. pick up items in that space) if you first move and then land on that space. That is one of the iron rules in this game. You can never encounter the space that you are ON when you start your turn.

Even more so, of course, you can't pick up items from a space when it's NOT your turn. If you are in the Oasis, and some poor guy at the other end of the board meets the raiders and they drop all the gold (and items, if you play with the old rules) in the oasis, the guy standing in the oasis don't get to auto-pick it up out of turn just because the drop happens to happen when he's standing there.

The only way to obtain items when it's not your turn, is if someone attacks you in combat on THEIR turn and you win, and choose to take an item. (Or if you kill him/her, take all items).

So if the attacking player was toaded before the combat, all items are dropped in that square and in order to pick them up, you have to move first and then land there.

Then again, picture this guy running towards you, you toad him, he drops all his stuff… you SHOULD be able to pick it up. But that kind of logic can't be used in Talisman. The timing is crucial in this game, and messing it up with exceptions won't help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.