Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Carter
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever notice how games seem to bring out different personality type in different people? There's a new article on The Board Game Blog that explores this, detailing five characters that always seem to pop up at game night.

5 People You See at Every Game Session

Which ones do you see the most often? The Thinker? The Mad Scientist? Which one are you?

- Ben
@ TheBoardGameBlog.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannah Smith
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Ooh. I'm a Mad Scientist at Dominion, I think, and Battlestar Galactica--pretending I'm a cylon when I'm a human, getting people to execute me and be really surprised, etc--and a few other games. Probably a Thinker most of the time though.

A subcategory of the Victim: the "you-never-told-me-that-rule" guy. I hate that guy. Probably because I teach the new games to my gaming group probably 95% of the time, and we have a couple of them.

"Wait...settlements have to be two spaces away from each other?! You never said that!! I never would have done that!!! Now my whole game is ruined!!!!"

...mrrrrr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Carter
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hannahforthewin wrote:
A subcategory of the Victim: the "you-never-told-me-that-rule" guy. I hate that guy. Probably because I teach the new games to my gaming group probably 95% of the time, and we have a couple of them.

Good call. That reminds me one of my favorite geeklists on here, posted by Legomancer:

"You Never Told Me That Rule!" -- Rules You Most Certainly Told Them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm mostly a Mad Scientist... but also a Thinker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely the Mad Scientist...I always lose in a glorious fashion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And we get all 5 of those wrapped in our family of 6.
What's great is that we can take turns. Depending on the day and time of day, you'll get a different reaction from each.

You might be able to tell which is which when you watch our video reviews. The Geeklist with our reviews to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Concord
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Helper... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Auger
England
Manningtree
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely a Mad Scientist playing Talisman - so how many straight turns can I spend as a toad? or the Toad can kill the Dragon can't he?:laugh:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... according to these 5 archetypes I'm a good mix of The Thinker & The Mad Scientist.

A Mad Thinker. You get the idea. A bit of The Helper also comes through sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Carter
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like there are a lot of Mad Scientists around! Of course, I guess they're the ones that have the most fun -- win or lose -- and their games end up being the best stories

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.