Popular Tags: [View All]
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious if it's just me or not, but it's pretty annoying after a while, trying to stuff 2 and sometimes 3 counters into a country and keep them neat. It's too bad the game doesn't come with 10s or higher. does anyone know of any files anyone has made for larger counter denominations? If not, I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it usually only happens once per game. I wouldn't have minded two 7s and two 8s, but I guess they would have needed another counter sheet entirely once they opened that door.

Also, I think this is the designers' subtle way of saying that you shouldn't need more than 8 very often.

I'll be interested to see the files if you decide to pursue it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I haven't seen any. When I was going to make my own (buddy gave me his old cards and 'board' when he upgraded) I was going to make counters up to 15, but then someone pointed out the 2nd edition counters for $5 on GMT so I went the lazier (and probably cheaper) route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
For me it usually only happens once per game. I wouldn't have minded two 7s and two 8s, but I guess they would have needed another counter sheet entirely once they opened that door.

Also, I think this is the designers' subtle way of saying that you shouldn't need more than 8 very often. ;)

Hmm. maybe we need to reconsider our way of playing then! We're fairly new to the game so maybe this will work itself out in a few more plays. For the record, this has mostly been an issue that's been confined to Europe, where we're both usually adding tons of influence in battlegrounds, and can't coup or realign due to Defcon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is probably an issue of experience. When I was new to the game my opponents would often spend 2:1 to break into countries I controlled, forcing me to respond. IP escalation in these nations could get out of hand. Of course, it's almost never correct to spend 2:1 unless you can take control of the country with one action, so it doesn't happen very often anymore. I'm curious which countries you have been playing into so heavily. The contested battlegrounds in Europe are stability 2 or 3 so should be easy enough to take control of with one action. Now if USSR gets into W Germany, that's a different story...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
I think this is probably an issue of experience. When I was new to the game my opponents would often spend 2:1 to break into countries I controlled, forcing me to respond. IP escalation in these nations could get out of hand. Of course, it's almost never correct to spend 2:1 unless you can take control of the country with one action, so it doesn't happen very often anymore. I'm curious which countries you have been playing into so heavily. The contested battlegrounds in Europe are stability 2 or 3 so should be easy enough to take control of with one action. Now if USSR gets into W Germany, that's a different story...

Agreed. "Hardening" or overcontrol, as it is often called, is a big part of the game. But players can't harden everywhere they need to and sometimes a big fight starts at a critical pressure point. W Germany is a good example. I'd add S. Korea. Long, drawn out fights tend to favor one player - whoever benefits most from the wasted time. Thus, an eye toward hardening battlegrounds often cuts out the majority of those protracted IP contests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
Of course, it's almost never correct to spend 2:1 unless you can take control of the country with one action, so it doesn't happen very often anymore. I'm curious which countries you have been playing into so heavily. The contested battlegrounds in Europe are stability 2 or 3 so should be easy enough to take control of with one action. Now if USSR gets into W Germany, that's a different story...

I believe last game it was either W or E Germany that got out of hand, and maybe Italy or France as well. I do remember one time Finland of all places was going back and forth on IP from both sides, but I don't think THAT will happen again! blush that might have been our first game....I was trying to get domination of Europe before the card came up and the +1 for and adjacent country to the USSR, but I realize now what a waste of resources it was.

I appreciate the tip. Perhaps we need to concentrate more on hardening our leads in countries, and not leaving them as soon as control is achieved. How often do you guys actually get the defcon back up to 5 or even 4? I think the only time we've seen it at 5 was on the very first turn. I'm just not sure at this point how to turn the tide in places without going through a battle of IPs. Coups in Europe are hardly ever seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You pretty much have to rely on events to change the tide in Europe. Brush War in Italy can do it (for US only if NATO is in effect). John Paul/Solidarity can make a mess of Poland for USSR if he doesn't way overcontrol. There are several Late War events that have a big impact in Europe. But overall, it's hard to wrest domination from your opponent once all battlegrounds are played into. This is why getting control of Europe in the Early War is so important. But it's not the only battleground of the Cold War. I've seen many games won by a player whose opponent dominates Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
You pretty much have to rely on events to change the tide in Europe. Brush War in Italy can do it (for US only if NATO is in effect). John Paul/Solidarity can make a mess of Poland for USSR if he doesn't way overcontrol. There are several Late War events that have a big impact in Europe. But overall, it's hard to wrest domination from your opponent once all battlegrounds are played into. This is why getting control of Europe in the Early War is so important. But it's not the only battleground of the Cold War. I've seen many games won by a player whose opponent dominates Europe.

Assuming the USA player has already played and extinguished COMECON and WARSAW PACT FORMED, I'd agree it's very hard for the USSR to make any headway in Europe in the Late War. But the USA ... in addition to JOHN PAUL and SOLIDARITY, also has CHERNOBYL, EAST EUROPEAN UNREST, and TEAR DOWN THIS WALL, plus the option of playing these cards a second time with STAR WARS.

Even if the USA doesn't accomplish European domination or control, forcing the USSR to respond to European aggression can seriously damage the USSR's overall board position. In that respect I agree that the other regions collectively are often much more important than Europe alone ... I once won a game with WARGAMES while my opponent controlled Europe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Wesley
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use nickels & dimes - for 5 & 10 IP, obviously

Just put the coin under the IP counter - easy enough to tell whether it's a nickel or a dime just from looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.