Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect this forum thread will get no action, as I'm using the "Subdomain" forum area and I don't think people see that at all.

Anyway, I read about wordle.net on fivethirtyeight.com and thought it would be neat to create word clouds around comments on kid games. I did that, but there was no way to show in a single cloud both the positive and negative word size, so I ended up doing it in Paint manually...

What I did was to take the first page of comments (high rankings) for four of the top 5 "kid games" here on BGG (skipped Loopin' Louie). I pulled out every single word used and considered those to be the Lovers of kid games. I did the same thing with the bottom 25 comments (with ratings) and called those the Haters.

Then I went about the task of consolidating words ("game," "games," "gaming" all become "game", etc). I pulled out a lot of noise words ("I", "an", etc), and ended up with two lists of over 1000 words to work with. The picture above is the result. Red words are proportional to their use in Hater comments and Green words are proportional to their use in Lover comments.

I only listed divergent words. Words where one group used them at least 1/2 percent more frequently than the other side.

And our top divergent word was...NOT. The haters use this word in their comments 2.3% of the time (after removing words used 3 or fewer times) while Lovers use it only 0.6%. Other words with significant differences in usage...

Play (5.0% - 3.6% in favor of lovers)
Game (9.9% - 8.6% in favor of lovers)
Fun (2.9% - 1.8% in favor of lovers)
Dexterity (1.7% - 0.8% in favor of haters)
--- I guess this means "dexterity" is a dirty word on BGG
Very (1.8% - 0.9% in favor of lovers)
Adult (2.2% - 1.3% in favor of lovers)
Turn (1.0% - 0.1% in favor of haters)
Mice (1.5% - 0.8% in favor of haters)
Kid (4.9% - 4.1% in favor of lovers)
---I guess this means that kid games involving mice are bad to those who dislike kid games.

Anyway, not much to see here, just an amusing sidelight for the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
The anti-mice game faction seems to be pretty high. Where did the anti-chicken faction land? (Or perhaps I should say "roost"?):p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing "mice" comes from the generally derisive "roll the dice, move your mice" platitude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg von Lemberg
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
I suspect this forum thread will get no action, as I'm using the "Subdomain" forum area and I don't think people see that at all.

I don't know, I can see it. Did I do something wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How come Loopin Louie got left out? 'elp! Louie's bein' repressed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.