BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » West

Subject: Big Game Hunters in SF rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve M
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I'm looking for players in the San Francisco area for the bigger games: Twilight Imperium, Game of Thrones, Axis & Allies, Diplomacy, etc. Don't really care if I'm joining your group or you're looking to make a new one. I just can't seem to get more than about 3 people together for gaming, which means no struggles for control of Westeros or Mecatol Rex.

I've got a couple of locations in the city that we've been using for games: my place in the (Outer) Richmond, or a friend's place in the SoMa.

Thread responses or PM's are good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

You will have no difficulty finding players for this sort of game at bay Area Games Day, a periodic (roughly every six weeks) event held at the Los Altos Public Library in Los Altos. Next meeting is April 17. You might have to arrange it in advance on our Yahoo mailing list at:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

There are a number of other regularly meeting groups in the bay area and you might be able to find a group for playing something of that scope at, for instance, Endgame's Last-Saturday-of-the-Month group in Oakland. I've found that pretty hit or miss but I bet others have had more success there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yep, the Los Altos gamesdays are brilliant.

Other events of note:

SB-Boardgamers, every Monday evening at the Yahoo! corporate cafeteria. My sub-group plays 18xx every Monday. Other people play more typical eurogame/etc fare. ~40 attendees.

SVB, every Tuesday evening in the Mountain View Community Centre. ~12 attendees.

Board Game Addicts of the Peninsula (BAP), roughly the last Saturday of each month in Redwood City from 10:00-17:00. ~15 attendees.

Endgame Oakland, Wednesday evenings and last Saturday of the month (unfortunately conflicts with BAP). ~15 attendees (been a while since I've attended, so number is very rough)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Berkeley Board Gamers (do a geeklist search if you're interested).

Tue & Thu evenings: 30-40 attendees
Sun: ~ 10 attendees

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All fine groups. Mostly either too small a group or too short a session for the games the original poster wants to play. Well, Game of Thrones can fit in an evening and could work in a variety of venues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kilpiäinen
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you were looking for people who shoot bears and lions...

That would make a great boardgame though, big game hunters... more points for endangered species
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
All fine groups. Mostly either too small a group or too short a session for the games the original poster wants to play. Well, Game of Thrones can fit in an evening and could work in a variety of venues.

Yes but in these groups the OP might meet people with whom he could arrange the big game he seeks. I know that people in our group who wanted to play Here I Stand have found each other through meeting at our weekly game nights. There are no guarantees of course, but sometimes it just takes a little leg work and shorter sessions are great way to get to know people before you commit to spending 12+ hours with them hunched over a game table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a group that plays in the Haight on Sundays at 11AM. There was a good stretch where they played every week. I think it's cooled down a little in the past couple of months, but they were consistently playing TI or Starcraft every week.

You can reach them by posting to this thread:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/440892/san-francisco-group-f...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
additionally, this saturday (march 20th) endgame in oakland is having a gamesday for longer games like the ones you mentioned.

(here's the page)

Quote:
Sat, Mar 20 10:00 am – 9:00 pm: EndGame Board Game and Mini Monster Wargame Day
EndGame will be open late 10a-9pm for Board and War gaming. The idea behind this event is to allow gamers to play larger, longer games that they ordinarily only get to play at conventions or take too much time on Board Game nights, games such as Twilight Imperium, 18XX series, Here I Stand etc. Shorter games are of course welcome as well. Come, meet gamers, play games that usually collect dust on the shelf and have a good time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Perfect. Endgame is a great game store and their upstairs space is good for this sort of thing. Near good food options (Oakland's Chinatown) as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey, thanks! That sounds great, now I just have to drag myself out of bed in the morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Timppis wrote:
I thought you were looking for people who shoot bears and lions...

That would make a great boardgame though, big game hunters... more points for endangered species

I thought he was talking about Predators (versus Aliens, no doubt).whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a group closer to your neck of the woods (Contra Costa) that plays Axis & Allies and similar games. I think they usually meet one Sunday each month:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Axisandalliescontracosta...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.