Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 1
Having read the rules a number of times now, I'm still not clear if smoke is always available or if it's only available when specifically listed in the SSR's? And in this case I'm referring to smoke grenades used by SMC or MMC units.

Question 2
When using a ordnance support weapon like a bazooka or PIAT, do target acquisition rules come into play? I.e., if I'm attempted to hit infantry in a building with a PIAT, do I get to place a target acquisition marker on that hex and then get the -1 bonus next round when I attempt to hit it again? If so, are they auto-spotted for next round, or do I need to roll to spot them again?

Most of these came up while playing Sniper's Den from S&B. As it was I played the British and barely won, mostly as a result of my opponent having some very unlucky rolls. It would have been handy If I could have used smoke when crossing open fields into the town, but not being sure I was allowed to use it I went without. Unfortunately my British Hero and his PIAT are still lying in some farmer's field in northern France. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen is right about smoke in Band of Heroes and expansions, MMC's can always attempt to use smoke unless SSR forbids it. On and Off board arty can only use smoke if by SSR, same for tanks.

In Heroes of the Blitzkrieg, no unit can use smoke unless by SSR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Stephen and Vance for the replies; much appreciated. I was aware that if it was allowed I'd still need to roll for it. That's still a lot better than going without, especially when you're on the move and in the sights of a sniper who fires 8 hexes with 2d6! ninja

Interesting you mention there being house rules for ordnance acquisition, because I did read a post where someone complained about the power of ordnance weapons. I've used the acquisition marker for 2 scenarios now and have yet to score a single hit, including with a hero that had the 'Rocket Man' skill. That was partly due to unlucky rolls, but if it's typically easy to score a hit, that certainly hasn't been my experience. Of course I've mostly tried with a PIAT, and from what I've read of military weapons it was one craptastic weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick P
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
You say 'attempt to hit' and 'attempt to hit again.' You only get the aquiring bonuses if you do hit on any previous attempt - I think! Apologies if that's what you meant - I just thought there was some scope for cofusion with your phrasing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick P
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
Really? Are you sure? I've been playing the game for two years as if it did require a hit. I'd better go and check the rules - mind you, it wouldn't be the first time I've misread or misapplied rules without any awareness of the fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Section 14.3 first para reads:
"When ordnance -- including shoulder-fired ordnance, such as Bazookas -- fires and fails to destroy its target, place a -1 acquisition marker on the target."

So strictly by the written rules just firing at a target gets you the acquired marker.

I always felt that it should have required an actual non-kill hit, but it really plays fine the way it's written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
kronovan wrote:

Question 2
When using a ordnance support weapon like a bazooka or PIAT, do target acquisition rules come into play?

Absolutely, rule 14.3 specifically mentions it.

kronovan wrote:

I'm attempted to hit infantry in a building with a PIAT, do I get to place a target acquisition marker on that hex.. If so, are they auto-spotted for next round...?

Again yes and yes, specifically mentioned in the same rule.

Also the rule mentions nothing about needing a Hit in order to place an Aquisition Marker.We're talking about having a pre-existing sight/bearing on a target. That's all. The Impulses are flowing things, game time is not disjointed. Acquisition is in a way abstracting rate of fire, the firing unit's coolness in being able to chamber another series of rounds hit or miss, the firing unit correcting aim hoping that the target doesn't fire back, pivot away in the case of a vehicle or otherwise charge out of the hex.

Tactical level games are weird beasts. It's hard to remember that in the physical time it takes to play a turn we're talking just 120-240 seconds of flowing cardboard life here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick P
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
Yup, I've been playing it wrong for two years - must've been a 'ghost' from ATS where Burst on target (their version of aquiring) benifits depend upon an actual hit. Well, I don't care! I may even stick to my version of things. I think LnL accomodates house rules very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.