Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got this game when it was on sale at Barnes & Noble. Honestly, I got it for the cool components and didn't expect much from the game. I got what I expected, but surprisingly, it has gotten a lot of play at my house.

The game comes in an "Octopi" which is a collectible stuff animal Octopus with a silly backstory. There are three different Octopi and each one brings a different game. I did say the game comes in the Octopi, right? The bottom has a zipper which you open to reveal an inky black bag. Inside the bag are 2 dice and about 30 doubloons. The doubloons are plastic and nice looking but they are about as thin as they can be. The two dice are the same and have the following faces: Octopi, doubloon, shell, starfish, seahorse, clown fish.

To play the game, each player is given two doubloons. The youngest player starts by rolling the dice. I won't get into details, but depending on the roll, the player either returns doubloons to the pot, gives some to the player on the left or collects two doubloons. A player without doubloons is passed, but may return to the game if they get money from the player to his right. Doubloons move around a lot from player to player and almost as often end up going back into the pot. This is a game of attrition and after a few rounds of rolling, the game will probably be over.

So, what do I think about the game? Well, it's fun the same way LCR is. It's completely random luck but if played with the right spirit it's fun enough for the 5 minutes it lasts. It's not unusual to lose all your doubloons after your first roll and then get them back by the time the dice come back to you.

I've played this with my 2 yr old son and 4 yr old daughter. The boy is learning to roll dice and the girl is learning to not freak out if she's not winning the game. I'd say because of that alone, it's a great game.

Would I recommend it? Well, the retail price is $24.00. I definitely would not by the game at that price. You can get LCR for a lot less. I got mine on clearance for $6.00 and at that price it's a fair deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, you beat me to it... I was thinking the same thing, LCR, only inside a furry yellow octopus. And definitely good with the kids.

I ran across it at B&N too... better timing I guess, as it only cost me $2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.