BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » Essen

Subject: Best hotel for playing games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M T
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
The B&B in Oberhausen Centro actually didnt let anyone play in the lobby/dining area/etc. so i cannot recommend that.
I'm also interessted in a more gamer friendly hotel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Keiner
Germany
Oberhausen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was once a thread where some people discussed where they are staying to get together in the evenings and play.

I´m just looking....
Here it is.
Yes, there are some informations about gaming-friendly hotels in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kirman
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW since that list was made the Ibis next to the Hbf was refurbished. It is now the optimal hotel for evening gaming - huge breakfast room with big tables, good lighting, and table-service beer (with tabs). open as late as you are able to stay up. More accessible than the HI-Ex, and not as smelly as the Arosa Highly recommended, even for visitors (last year the gaming area was nowhere near fully used)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Slater
United Kingdom
Newport
Newport, South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was lots of gaming going on in the bar of the Holiday Inn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Cook
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffs
flag msg tools
badge
I'd agree with everything you were saying, if only you were right...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the Movenpick, but apparently that's NOT the place for evening gaming. How receptive are hotels to guests from other establishments gaming for a few hours in the evenings before retiring to their own hotel? I'd assume there to be no problem, but as a first time attendee I'd appreciate confirmation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kris vansant
Belgium
Geel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year we also stayed in Bredeney.
There was a gaming room on the first floor (above the restaurant) ,
about 10 or 12 gamers were playing there.

This year we're in the same hotel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Liggur wrote:
There was lots of gaming going on in the bar of the Holiday Inn

Presumably you mean the Holiday Inn Express (Thea-Leymann Strasse) rather than the Holiday Inn (Frohnhauser Strasse). Unless something has changed dramatically in the last couple of years, there isn't much of a bar, let alone gaming, at the Holiday Inn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Pallet Ranger wrote:
I'm in the Movenpick, but apparently that's NOT the place for evening gaming. How receptive are hotels to guests from other establishments gaming for a few hours in the evenings before retiring to their own hotel? I'd assume there to be no problem, but as a first time attendee I'd appreciate confirmation.

I've visited 'other' hotels a couple of times (Ibis, Holiday Inn Express) and the staff seemed perfectly happy. It probably works best if you order beer from their bar rather than bring bottles with you, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Buettemeier
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Esst mehr Käsetoast!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveK2 wrote:
Pallet Ranger wrote:

I've visited 'other' hotels a couple of times (Ibis, Holiday Inn Express) and the staff seemed perfectly happy. It probably works best if you order beer from their bar rather than bring bottles with you, though.

Right. In Germany it should be generally no problem to sit a bit in the hotel lobby and do a bit of gaming as long as you don't behave like you wouldn't do in a normal restaurant or bar. Just have a nice German beer, don't disturb other guests who are not gaming and in 95% of all cases all should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go Bredeney! I'll be staying there too with 2 more friends. Looking forward to some good gaming in the evenings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan How
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
Do you know about Counter magazine? Geekmail me for more details
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been to Essen for many years and the past 15 or so, have stayed at the Hotel Handelshoff in Mulheim. We get great service and (best of all) amazing rooms for gaming, where the waiters take orders for coffee, beers etc.

The rooms are opened up according to numbers of people. Some years ago they accidently opened up the ballroom, which was great, but cost them alot to re-polish the floor so that won't happen again. The regular sized rooms have tables laid out for us cater for 15-20 people in each room, and we often get 25+ gamers (including about 15 or more who are staying there) for some pleasant post show gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Neale
United Kingdom
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having moved from central Essen hotels (where we did get some strange looks playing Cash and Guns in the hotel bar) to the Handelschoff 2 years ago, I can second Alan's recommendation. They also stock an interesting selection of beers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But the sad thing is You cant smoke any more in the lobby!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
never surrender
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mb
anyone in Gasthaus Nordstern ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Wittenstein
Germany
Hagen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The eggertspiele family has been staying in the youth hostel in Essen-Werden for the last 2 or 3 years.
Very casual atmosphere, plenty of gamers, several rooms to play.

http://www.jugendherberge.de/jh/rheinland/essen/index.shtml....

It´s about 10 min by car from the Messe, I saw a busstop sign just 200 meters from the hostel, and a local trainstation in walking distance.
Nice Italian/Indian Eatery in the street Klemensborn, close to the hostel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Vos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know about gaming facilities in the Atlantic Congress? It's right next to the fair, but it's pretty pricey (and I just noticed it doesn't include breakfast, while Bredeney's prices do include breakfast). I find myself wondering if I should book at Bredeney instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.