25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendation for Business Board game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Powers T
msg tools
mbmbmb
What business boardgame do you recommend? which element of business does it cover and does it do it adequate enough? and why do you like it ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Struggle is the obvious choice. I'm not going to give it a big song and dance. You can look it up. People who have it like it, including me. It has a bit of majority control, but has many unique elements. I can't even think of a good 2nd place choice. Unfortunately business isn't even a category to filter search on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just can repeat Curts proposal: Power Struggle

If you like it historical, Brass: Lancashire would be a god alternative. It deals verry good with supply and demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquire is more abstract but is a classic "business" type game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Minkoff
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Dum, Dum, Dum dum dum, Dum!
badge
"Money isn't everything, but it's a tie-breaker in Power Grid!"
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Power Struggle is the obvious choice. I'm not going to give it a big song and dance. You can look it up. People who have it like it, including me. It has a bit of majority control, but has many unique elements. I can't even think of a good 2nd place choice. Unfortunately business isn't even a category to filter search on.

Absolutely Power Struggle. It's fun, complex, many paths to victory, and funny. Great production value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Tao
United States
San Bruno
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cashflow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mentock
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Synergy: A Business Strategy Game. I am biased, as I created the game. It is available for [geekurl=http://www.semagamesusa.com/products/synergy-a-business-strategy-game/]pre-order[/geekurl] now and the game will be shipped in March 2015. In your honor, I have created coupon code "djay16" that will add a free $5 add-on item any pre-order for the game itself that is placed between now and our Kickstarter launch on February 1, 2015. If you have any questions about the game, please ask!
Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one mentioned Prêt-à-Porter, seeing how it was made as a business educational tool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ground Floor is a business simulation. I have only watched a walk-through, it's a complex Euro-type game that requires strategic planning and use of various tracks to build five floors of a successful business. Not for the beginning gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Myself, I'm a fan of supply and demand/commodity speculation. Games where the commodities are also used as resources, so you can produce one or more of them and other players will buy them from you for their use (while you buy from them).

The best I have played is Wealth of Nations; expansion is not needed but the v2 rules really make the game cleaner. Also a great one is Planet Steam

Container is supposed to be awesome but I've never played it, unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Myself, I'm a fan of supply and demand/commodity speculation. Games where the commodities are also used as resources, so you can produce one or more of them and other players will buy them from you for their use (while you buy from them).

The best I have played is Wealth of Nations; expansion is not needed but the v2 rules really make the game cleaner. Also a great one is Planet Steam

Container is supposed to be awesome but I've never played it, unfortunately.

+1 to all of these. Container is unique in that you have some control over what gets produced, and what gets shipped. Everyone's market is slightly different, though, so you don't entirely know who wants what, only what your market is.

Another +1 for Prêt-à-Porter as well. It's fun to try different strategies for this one (the 'Walmart' strategy of lots of cheap lines, for instance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coal Baron

Which element of business does it cover ?
Coal mining.

Does it do it adequate enough?
Not played yet.

Why do you like it ?
Not played yet, but I do like the idea of the mining cart shaft mechanism.

Rococo

Tailoring business during the Rococo era.

Yes, as players have to buy and manage the material for tailoring dresses while they are also responsible for hiring and managing their staff of workers.
The workers in Rococo are classified in 3 types: master, journeyman and apprentice. Better-skilled workers have more options on what they are capable to do, while (most) workers of all classes also have an indiviual secondary ability, which should be taken into consideration when players are allocating a worker with a certain task.

Why do you like it ?
Fresh theme, great and interesting mix of mechanisms, great components, enough room for different strategies to win, one of those game you will get better over time, also works with just 2 players.

Yedo

Managing you clan's various affairs during a power struggle set in feudal Japan.

Yes, as players are presented with many different and thematical options on each turn by sending out their agents to accomplish different tasks.
Each player can follow his/her own agenda by fulfilling certain (secret) goal cards, giving bonus victory points at the end of the game (for example: avoiding a certain kind of mission type like "kidnapping" or having the most of a certain kind of resource).
There is a certain feeling of secrecy among players, as card information (goals, missions, actions) is hidden from other players and the real purpose for placed agents/workers gets only revelead once the corresponding player resolves that agent's action. For example, an agent in the market district can be sent there to obviously buy a certain resource from the market - but the agent could also be required to be present at that location for a certain mission (as a stakeout for an assassination/kidnapping/robbery ect.).

Why do you like it ?
Great components, many options on each turn, trading between players, love for detail (each mission card tells a short story), adjustable difficulty (by sorting out or shuffling in certain cards in the event deck), streamlined auction phase, also works with 2 players.

Greed

Organised crime.

Not played yet.

Why do you like it ?
Not played yet, but I like the fact that the game shows (to some degree) the nasty side of crime and does not romanticise or downplay the theme of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivia Dunlap
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Junkyard King Might be worth a look. It's pretty surface-level, but it deals with capitalist ideals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Panic on Wall Street! for fast thinking, setting prices and negotiating with 5 buyers throwing offers at you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Selwood
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greed Incorporated is a pretty decent business representation. Lots of corporate maneuvering, direct player economic interaction and self-centered business-people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jolly
United Kingdom
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My tentative suggestion would be Power Grid. It is not a great simulation of the power industry, but there are some wonderful business mechanisms in there, the auction mechanism and changing costs of inputs for example.

At the "economics" end of business games perhaps, but one that I have enjoyed, and would play again despite my preference for conflict themes

Cheers,

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Is this thread 4 years old???
Serious necro there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunke wrote:
Is this thread 4 years old???
Serious necro there...

Indeed. What's even more surprising is the number of people who jumped in with new suggestions, just because one person chimed in pushing their own game, which isn't even released.

I wonder how many other threads he's similarly necro'd. Answer (hold on...): Only one other (on the same day), with oddly no other posts on the site, except for his own game. I can't even imagine how this thread of all threads was chosen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Normally I notice necro'd threads. Can't believe I missed this one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Normally I notice necro'd threads. Can't believe I missed this one

Same here.

I blame the inescapable and quite distractive holiday season.

Yeah, works for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mentock
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't even imagine? The subject is "Recommendation for Business Board Game" and I suggested a business board game. I am a new user to the site (as you mentioned) so I didn't know that we weren't allowed to reply to older posts - my mistake. I will only reply to the newest and coolest posts from now on. Sorry for the trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
tickytock wrote:
Can't even imagine? The subject is "Recommendation for Business Board Game" and I suggested a business board game. I am a new user to the site (as you mentioned) so I didn't know that we weren't allowed to reply to older posts - my mistake. I will only reply to the newest and coolest posts from now on. Sorry for the trouble.

Beating the straw-man are we. The comment was that there was a self interested plug on a thread that was old, which was only done out of self interest, not out of anyone currently inquiring on business games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickytock wrote:

Of course you are ALLOWED.

The thing is that his search for a business boardgame has SUPPOSEDLY (and hopefully) come to an end long before you suggested your own game four years later...

At least I have a hard time imagining the OP anxiously waiting day by day for four years for a new response to his thread to be posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tickytock wrote:

Perhaps you can reply to the posts about whether the Earth is flat,, can white men sing the blues and the subtext of the Marx Brothers films.

Seriously, acting all hurt is feeble, as you must have spent a lot of effort to find this ancient post from someone who probably doesn't care about the new answers 4 years later. However, people who have spent effort creating considered replies without noticing how irrelevant the thread had become have every right to regard you as a time-waster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mentock
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thanks. That does make sense. I don't forum much, I guess. I just found the post by searching "business board game" and didn't really notice the date when I originally posted. I am rather glad I posted, though, since I got two new suggestions for games that I had never seen before and purchased because I thought they looked like a lot of fun (Ground Floor and Greed*). Can't wait to try them out. I'll consider the dates on the posts from now on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.