John Cabral
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars

So far, I have only played the Phoenix Elves vs. Tundra Orcs starter set. I will eventually get around to playing the Guild Dwarves and Cave Goblins. I will make that the second part of the review.

Brief Overview

Summoner Wars is a 2-4 player tactical card game with a spatial element. Players control a race(elves, goblins, orcs and dwarves... so far) that is lead by a summoner. Throughout a game, players will be summoning units on a battlefield and trying to take out the opponent's summoner(or summoners in a 3-4 player game).

I will briefly go over what I like and dislike about each of the two factions I have played so far.

Phoenix Elves

The Phoenix Elves are lead by Prince Elien.

What's to like?

1 The Elves feel like a finesse team. Most units are not powerhouses. Why?

2 They don't have big hits, but have nice range in their attacks. Most notably the archers, who can get hits from very far away. Prince Elien also has range in his attack. Another form of range is in the warriors ability. The warriors must attack at close range, but can be brought back into their own territory(if a wall is still in play), keeping distance from the opponent on their turn.

3 A lot of Elves have the ability to give instant hits. The guardian does not have to roll against units and gives an automatic 1 hit. Also, Prince Elien can be 2 spaces away and give an automatic 2 hits on a unit. The Elves also have event cards that give other units instant hits and the ability to hit anyone on the battlefield(except on a summoner).

What's not to like?

1 Elves are very weak. Most units cannot take much damage, including Prince Elien.

Tundra Orcs

The Tundra Orcs are lead by Grognack.

What's to like?

1 The Orcs feel like a well rounded team. Why?

2 They feel like an offensive team. Many units can take a lot of hits, so it's easy to bring them in on an opponent. The fighters have the ability to roll dice many times to continually hit the opponents. Of course, this is a risk as the fighters are the weakest unit for the Orcs and must attack closely. But at the same time...

3 They feel like a defensive team. They can play many walls to keep opponents away. Grognack also has the ability to give hits to any opponent that is near any walls controlled by the Orcs. This can keep opponents even further away. On top of that, there is an event card that lets the Orcs freeze any unit on the battlefield.

What's not to like?

1 Some abilities are negative for Orc units. The shaman has range, but if misses on either dice roll, then gives no hits to the opposing unit. The smasher also has a negative ability. A unit does not have to roll against a smasher, but gives instant hits based on the amount of dice that would be rolled.

Hmm...

I have not played both Summoner Wars starter sets. I will do a second part of this review to briefly go over what I like and dislike about the other starter set. I will also go over what I like and dislike about Summoner Wars as a whole.

So far...

I'm planning on getting and briefly reviewing the other starter set. When that will happen? I have no idea! But it is a good thing that I want to expand this game.

thumbsup

Main box image from the Summoner Wars gallery. Other images are from the Plaid Hat Games website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your format. Now get to work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good "absurd" review.
Thanks!

absurdjohnny wrote:
I have not played both Summoner Wars starter sets. I will do a second part of this review to briefly go over what I like and dislike about the other starter set. I will also go over what I like and dislike about Summoner Wars as a whole.

Sounds good!
Make sure you play some 4-player games. The team game is where Summoner Wars really shines. The 2-player games are indeed fun, but they feel like a warmup/scrimmage compared to the full experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely nice review. I agree on just about all of the points! It's always a good thing to make a wall labyrinth and watch your enemies come toward Grognack. But usually the orcs are just in beat-face mode for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cabral
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sokadr wrote:
I like your format. Now get to work!

Yeah. I shouldn't be getting another game, but I couldn't help myself. I just ordered the other starter set from Plaid Hat Games. My girlfriend, who is my main gaming partner, will most likely be gone for a week so I won't be able to play it till the next week sometime. Bah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.