Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The subject line says it all. The situation I'm thinking of is; Edward I is pulled from the pool during a levy and then moved to an area that already contains the maximum number of English blocks making it 1 point over the castle limit. Does Edward then have to be revealed to prove that he's present before he winters, or does he just remain concealed with the Scottish player excepting the claim of his presence on faith?

It makes sense to me he should have to be revealed, but there appears to be nothing in the 3rd edition rules that states that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Monson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing requires his being revealed, but etiquette would seem to say if you are going to use his ability then you should reveal him. This does not mean you have to reveal anything else in the space he is wintering, so with fog of war he should be fairly safe the next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for the reply Ken, that fits with what I thought would be the correct approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flannel Golem
United States
Bemidji
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kronovan wrote:
but there appears to be nothing in the 3rd edition rules that states that.

That is because there is no requirement that Edward be revealed. Your opponent will already be tipped off to his presence by the lack of a yearly Levy (and perhaps an unnaturally-large group of blocks on the board -- but then again perhaps not!). In a game lauded for its fog-of-war, why give away such tactical info to your opponent for free?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fendwick wrote:
kronovan wrote:
but there appears to be nothing in the 3rd edition rules that states that.

That is because there is no requirement that Edward be revealed. Your opponent will already be tipped off to his presence by the lack of a yearly Levy (and perhaps an unnaturally-large group of blocks on the board -- but then again perhaps not!). In a game lauded for its fog-of-war, why give away such tactical info to your opponent for free?

While I'll agree it should be obvious, I'm mostly playing with my 13 year old son and he hasn't quite figured it out yet. On the other hand it's not beyond him to complain "no fair" when he's surprised by Edwards intimidating 'A4' might. I've also considering a temporary house rule of revealing him briefly when he's 1st deployed in England, so that the fog of war factor could be preserved a bit better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard MacKinnon
Canada
New Glasgow
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've also considering a temporary house rule of revealing him briefly when he's 1st deployed in England, so that the fog of war factor could be preserved a bit better.

Nah, teach him right - that if there's a big red wad in the middle of the board and nobody in England then it means Edie's on the prowl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Green Hobbit
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to reveal. Teaching purposes aside, if I can't trust my opponent to play by the rules (and actually have Edward in the space where Edward will winter) in a fog-of-war game, I would rather not play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.