5 Posts

Pandemic: On the Brink» Forums » Rules

Subject: Simultaneous Cure of Purple Disease and another? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jonqisu .
msg tools
mb
While playing the Bio-terrorist scenario with a group for the first time, someone attempted to cure the red disease with five red cards and argued that he should be able to cure the purple disease at the same time, given that it asks for five cards of any color--there was a purple cube in Tokyo, which was one of the cards he had.

Common sense would suggest that this isn't reasonable, because it removes the difficulty of actually having to cure the purple disease separately. That being said, I haven't been able to find anyone else asking this question. I hope that's a sign that it's so ridiculous that no one else ever thought of it, but I'd like some reassurance in any case.

What do you think?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once he cures the red disease, they're discarded, so he's no longer holding the five cards to cure Purple.

Obviously, he can cure either, but he has to make a choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Curing a disease involving spending an action at a research station and discarding cards. Once he spends one action and discards 5 cards to cure one disease, he no longer can spend another action and discard the same 5 cards to cure another disease.

This is like a player arguing that he can spend one action and move simultaneously to two different adjacent cities, since he can "clearly" spend an action to move to city A and spend an action to move to city B.

That's just not how actions work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonqisu .
msg tools
mb
Of course, I should have thought of that. Thank you both for the quick replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwommy the Purple
United States
Portland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your friend was the Field Operative, had 6 cards, and 3 each of the red and purple cubes, then he could have cured both in 1 turn (using 2 actions at a research station, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.