BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Help me find a superb worker placement game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Garnett
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I need an awesome WP game...and I need you to help me choose. I prefer something for more than 2 players and can be played in no more than 3 hours. Also something on the heavier side would be nice. Here is the short list of games that I own:

Agricola- my favorite!
Puerto Rico - not too fond of it
Settlers - excellent but only with all the expansions
Caylus - gotta love the provost
Power Grid - hate it (feels like my choices are dictated based on availability in the market)
Amun-Re - fun quick game with plenty of strategy still
Brass - quickly becoming my favorite!
In the Shadow of the Emperor - so-so
Pandemic - co-ops suck (one person can dominate decisions)

I've been reading a little about Vasco de Gama and it looks promising. What do you guys think about that and what are some other suggestions that fit my guidelines?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-Vasco da Gama
-Le Havre
-Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery
-In the Year of the Dragon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Have you tried Le Havre?

I think it might be better than Agricola with one major improvement. You get the sense of who is in the lead as you get closer to the end of the game.

It moves very quickly once learned right up until the last three rounds. On the 3rd to last round you have to optimize you final moves all at once but then you just do it after that short pause in quick action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starcraft

What? What are you looking at? It's a game, it has workers that need placing. Just because it has hundreds of other units doesn't mean it's not worker placement.

What's that? It's not categorized as worker placement?

That's it, let me talk to your manager.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Garnett
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Actually, now that you mention it, my brother owns a copy of StarCraft and I've played a number of times. It is fun. It is complex. But it is very long with 3+ players. I'm looking for something that can be played a bit quicker. Thanks for the recommendations and keep 'em coming! Le Havre is definitely on my list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike burnard
Slovenia
Koper
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll Second Stone Age. I don't love dice games, but I was sad about not bringing this one to game night at a friends just last night.

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vasco de gama is fun.
Le Havre is great fun.
Shipyard is also a worker placement game...with rondels.
Check out all of the Pillars of the earth series.
Caylus magna carta
Leonardo Da Vinci

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Jonsson
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone age might be to light for you, but it is an extremely clean WP game. Pillars of the Earth is in the same league but feels a little bit more complex thanks to longer texts on the cards.

For slightly meatier games I would recommend the following 2:
Carson City has a very thematic solution to the mysterious limit of one player per spot that other WP games have in place (not all, and first come first serve makes sense, but still does not come close to being able to shoot the guy!).
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39938/carson-city

Also, since you have no Vlaada games in your collection:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/45315/dungeon-lords
Again, very thematic. Common complaint is that you do not do very much during a game, but a lot of people love it.

I know this was not a request for Vlaada games, but you should get at least one, really. Or two. Feel free to get Space Alert instead of DL and then tell me that co-ops are always dominated by one person's decisions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eppic wrote:
Starcraft

What? What are you looking at? It's a game, it has workers that need placing. Just because it has hundreds of other units doesn't mean it's not worker placement.

I actually second this comment. You already have an excellent worker placement game in Agricola. I know there are a lot of Le Harve fans out there but I haven't played it yet to comment. You are missing some core Ameritrash style games and you can't go wrong with Starcraft or something of that sort.

Maus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Garnett
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Maus wrote:
Eppic wrote:
Starcraft

I actually second this comment. You already have an excellent worker placement game in Agricola. I know there are a lot of Le Harve fans out there but I haven't played it yet to comment. You are missing some core Ameritrash style games and you can't go wrong with Starcraft or something of that sort.

Maus

My brother already owns a copy of StarCraft. What other Ameritrash games would you suggest? Like I said, I had fun playing StarCraft but it seemed a tad long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joker Smiley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery is in my opinion the best worker placement game out there, plus it scales up to 6 players

Haven't played Mecanisburgo but it looks intriguing, if not also magnificently baroque ... it looks like super-complicated worker placement/ area majority with a heavy dose of Race for the Galaxy language-independent icons and cyberpunk theme ... if you get it, let me know what you think of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find a game better than Le Harve, let me know, because I'm pretty addicted to that right now and eventually I may need something to help break me from the addiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spexyjaj wrote:
Stone age might be to light for you, but it is an extremely clean WP game. Pillars of the Earth is in the same league but feels a little bit more complex thanks to longer texts on the cards.

For slightly meatier games I would recommend the following 2:
Carson City has a very thematic solution to the mysterious limit of one player per spot that other WP games have in place (not all, and first come first serve makes sense, but still does not come close to being able to shoot the guy!).
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39938/carson-city

Also, since you have no Vlaada games in your collection:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/45315/dungeon-lords
Again, very thematic. Common complaint is that you do not do very much during a game, but a lot of people love it.

I know this was not a request for Vlaada games, but you should get at least one, really. Or two. Feel free to get Space Alert instead of DL and then tell me that co-ops are always dominated by one person's decisions ;)

I'll second Carson City for similar reasons: I like both the short-term and long-term thinking involved...and the potential for gunfights fits the theme and adds a new twist to worker placement. On top of that, it is a nice looking game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dimitris filippatos
Greece
patra
greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. caylus
2.age of empires 3
3.agricola
these are the top 3 WP games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adultman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a lighter game but I very much enjoy Finca.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw another vote to AoEIII, and add Hansa Teutornica to the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aphicha Phawapaphawin
Thailand
Rat Burana
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pillars of the Earth
Stone Age
Le Havre
Carson City

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you enjoy Agricola and Brass I'd say that Stone Age is lighter than what you are looking for. Vasco da Gama is rather unforgiving to mistakes, just like most Wallace games (Brass), and perhaps that would be a good choice for you. VdG or Le Havre for sure.

Edit: Endeavor is also a brilliant game. There is no competition for the spaces here, each player has their own spaces to place their workers in, but apart from that I'd still call it worker placement. Plays in 90-120 mins for 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you like brass, Toledo (also designed by Martin Wallace) could be something for you.
Further you might take a look at Municipium.
Bothe are not very heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.