Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Ferguson
Ireland
Cork
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A couple of things puzzled me about the cards to be removed for the "short" game:

Ten cards get removed from the opinion poll deck, with the result that there are too few left for a "complete deal", and a reshuffle is required. Why not just have five of them removed?

Just one "contribution" card is removed for each party, but the game is two rounds shorter. This means that in the last play (in round three) each player has a choice of two cards to play, whereas in the full game by round five, each player is just down to one card. This is the particularly confusing one, as the VG rules aren't entirely clear about whether one actually entirely finishes the penultimate round, and as we were playing the short game, we hadn't exhausted all the cards, either. (The "condensed rules" and a thread here helped us work that out, however.)

Somewhat similarly, why is only one Shadow Cabinet card removed? (Though it's less striking in this case, as they're not played one-per-round.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only say I never saw the point of "the short game"; it's not that much shorter if at all and not worth the bother IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The short game should require a third less time than the full game. (You're cycling through four elections instead of six elections.)

The people I've played with appreciate that reduction in time commitment while still getting the full Die Macher flavor.

FWIW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ferguson
Ireland
Cork
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just to be picky, it's five elections rather than seven, though I'd agree with your time estimate, as it's four "full rounds" rather than six. (Though in our first game the real killer was the first round, unsurprisingly enough.)

Still a big puzzled by the cards-to-be-removed mix, but it's nothing killing, admittedly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.