Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you play two Artilery Denied in a single turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you can since it doesn't activate anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chad! Kudos for the great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome. And thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In one game, I was dealt two Arty Denied cards. Right at the start of the game, my opponent's artillery was neutralized. He was not too happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahaha it happened to me yesterday! It led to a very intense game with lots of insults and cussing which almost ended in a fight

Oh something else came to mind: How many russian assault squads are there in the game? I am little on the OCD side,so there is this little nasty voice that is whispering that if i loose a singe chit the game will be deemed unplayable .laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freelunchpirate wrote:
How many russian assault squads are there in the game? I am little on the OCD side,so there is this little nasty voice that is whispering that if i loose a singe chit the game will be deemed unplayable.

Six.

I take it you don't own CC:Mediterranean yet? Page 24-31 of the playbook has an inventory of all the unit/weapon/radio counters as well as all the cards in CC:E and CC:M. Should serve your OCD well....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew... I don't own Mediterranean.I just bought Europe two weeks ago(The first week i spent watching it in awe-the first real wargame to get my hands on).Now i can't stop thinking how can i squeeze more time to play it or how to find more opponents( already got three).

Since we are on the topic-Chad what would you recommend getting first:Mediterranean or Pacific?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
If you have CC:E - I would add Med as it expands the nationalities depicted from 3 to 6, includes the OCD manifest as noted above, adds 12 more scenarios, and is generally needed to enjoy any of the CC:E/Med battlepacks you might purchase. (In other words, it is the remaining half of the ETO Combat Commander.)

CCacific is a stand alone game for the PTO using the CC engine but tweaked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, if you enjoy Europe get Med next. If your still not sick of the game after that, get yourself CCacific and some battle packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Winter
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just get them all. This is the one game I will buy everything for without hesitation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chad56s wrote:
Just get them all.
-I think i will follow this advice .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Høygaard Jensen
Denmark
Copenhagen
Denmark, Europe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just got my :med the other day, and i´ve been walking around it since. clipped all the counters, of cause, and sorted them in nice big counter trays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saxophone wrote:
In one game, I was dealt two Arty Denied cards. Right at the start of the game, my opponent's artillery was neutralized. He was not too happy.
Yes, kind of reminds me of the time my opponent moved into a hex to close combat and I played 3 ambushes on him.....wasn't too happy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What actually happened was that not only i lost my artillery in a single turn but shortly after my opponent rolled a radio on his support table!What followed was an hour of mockery and remarks about manhood . Very bad times for the americans indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freelunchpirate wrote:
Quote:
What actually happened was that not only i lost my artillery in a single turn but shortly after my opponent rolled a radio on his support table!What followed was an hour of mockery and remarks about manhood . Very bad times for the americans indeed!

Damn, you guys play a mean game! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson Isada
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to verify Chad's "correct" 2010 answer to the Q posited above in the setting of no artillery. Other threads ("artillery denied" search) say this cannot be done. Clarification please. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Chad is the designer of the game, I'd go with his answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nisada wrote:
I would like to verify Chad's "correct" 2010 answer to the Q posited above in the setting of no artillery. Other threads ("artillery denied" search) say this cannot be done. Clarification please. Thanks.

Where do you see that you can't play two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson Isada
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Multiple forum regulars have said this cannot be done as a method of clearing one's hand.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1957837#1957837 the only requirement being that the opponent have a radio
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4077934#4077934 no radio, no order
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7452401#7452401 if your opponent doesn't have a radio...
Etc.

However...there is a thread or two where the designer gave an incorrect answer/misspoke, so just checking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
None of those forums say you can't play two AD orders in a single turn.

They address the prerequisites required to play either AR or AD cards - namely that a radio must be in play to allow those cards to be played for their orders.

Taking the threads one-by-one

1957837 - Mark and I both post at the end of the thread that two AD's can be played. The first part was a bit of confusion that AD was an action (not and order.)

4077934 - Only states that an enemy radio must be in play in order to play AD (which is clearly stated also in O17). Says nothing about not playing two in a turn.

7452401 - Again talks about needing a radio in play to play the AR or AD cards. Says nothing about not playing two in a turn.

Looking at the big picture - it is not possible to play a card for a null order in this game. If a MOVE order is played, at least one unit must move. If a FIRE order is played, at least one unit must fire. If a RECOVER order is played, at least one friendly broken (or suppressed) unit must be on the map. If ARTILLERY DENIED is played, an enemy radio must be in play. If one wants to discard cards from hand, one must PASS (O15).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
nisada wrote:
However...there is a thread or two where the designer gave an incorrect answer/misspoke, so just checking.

Only one that I can think of - but the error was quickly caught and corrected. No such correction was posted here. And as I note above, others (eg Mark B) have posted also that two ADs in a single turn to break than eliminate the Radio is perfectly acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson Isada
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks forum regulars for quick replies.

I was trying to determine if-
"I guess you can since it doesn't activate anything"
"Correct"
-meant that you could sleaze these cards out of your hand if a radio is not present.

Again thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
nisada wrote:
I was trying to determine if-
"I guess you can since it doesn't activate anything"
"Correct"
-meant that you could sleaze these cards out of your hand if a radio is not present.

Just to be blindingly obvious here - the rules for Artillery Denied have absolutely zero provision for even arguing such a point. The rule clearly states:

Nothing is activated during an Artillery Denied Order, though there must be an enemy Radio in play for the Order to be announced

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson Isada
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was holding forth about playing artillery cards only when there is a radio, decided to double check myself on BGG, and had an "OMG! Do I have it wrong?" moment.

I'm the one snapping up used CC:E, CC:M and CC: P sets on ebay and the lower-end punched CC:Es on BGG and distributing them around Alaska trying to generate interest ("I only play ASL", "I'm golfing with my buddies" in the lower 48, "I'm deploying next month", "I can meet you during the Republican state convention") - but still hopeful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.