Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Tomb» Forums » Sessions

Subject: An Afternoon of Dungeon Crawling and Catacomb Raiding: A Tomb Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Players: Paul and Rob
Setup Process: sort cards into traps, treasures and monsters. Without looking at the cards, randomly select 7 traps, 17 treasures and 18 monsters, shuffle, and seed the tombs.
House rule: 8 card hand limit

Paul selected Dirash the rogue to his party and Rob recruited General Lund the fighter. Over the next few turns, each player recruited. 2 wizards, 1 fighter and a cleric (the only one available) joined Paul’s adventuring party and Rob recruited Martin Treek the rogue, Azamerath the wizard, and Master Caremus the fighter. Paul’s wizard cast Summon Item and he acquired the Rogue’s Blade. Each player drew a few Inn cards and Rob entered the Goldenaxe Catacombs. Paul followed, and each player headed for a 1 card tomb near the entrance.
Rob entered the tomb and found the Robe of Eyes treasure, which was banked. Paul entered and found the Micano Diarat weapon for treasure. Rob moved and Paul headed for a 2 card tomb and encountered a Barrow Grimm. The monster scored 4 hits and killed Zartoch the wizard. The Barrow Grimm was then dispatched by the Rogue’s Blade and the party recovered a Soul Gem treasure, which was banked. Rob entered a 1 card tomb and encountered a Cyclops. The Cyclops made a holiness roll and went away, leaving no XP for the party. Paul moved to the Inn and next turn recruited a wizard. Rob entered a 2 card crypt, killed Slash the monster, and recovered a Figurine of Trickery. Both players took turns moving. Rob entered a 2 card tomb and found two treasures – a Tome and an Alchemy Kit. Both were banked. Paul entered a 2 card tomb and found Amon-Selket waiting for him. The monster killed a wizard (being a wizard is a hazardous occupation in Paul’s employ), but the party subdued the monster and gained a Ring of Spell Storing. With the recent death in Paul’s party, a cleric finally became available at the Inn. Rob cast Town Portal, returned to the Inn and welcomed Aida the cleric to his party. Paul moved within the catacombs and Rob selected 2 Inn cards. Paul raided a 3 card tomb and discovered 3 monsters waiting for him: Andel, Coreos and Qor-Teth. Paul’s party reacted by casting Summon Monster and Fylgia appears! The wizard cast Freeze, but Andel killed a cleric. The cleric was returned to the party (minus all attached cards) via the Calling Back spell. The monsters were all killed. Rob moved, but next turn Paul cast slow and Rob’s move was reduced by 5. Rob responded by casting Mass Hallucination and Paul’s party was forced to fight a Gelatinous Wall and a Storm Shadow. Another member of Paul’s party was killed, but he dispatched the monsters (without any XP). Rob moved and Paul cast Mass Heal, Rob moved again (not very quickly, still under the effects of the Slow spell) and Paul cast Gaze of the Infinite and killed the fighter Caremus in Rob’s party, which had a helm and flail attached. Rob raided a 3 card tomb. A trap was encountered, but the cleric cast Protection from Traps and it was overcome. The Sword of the Ancients was found, but unfortunately, a Cursed Scepter was also in the tomb. The party can only raid tombs with the highest number of cards. Both players moved. Paul raided another tomb, avoided a Slime Trap and killed a Gargoyle. Rob, cursed, had to move toward a 5 card tomb, entered, and found an Unholy Light trap. The trap killed the party’s cleric. Jackals the monster was in the tomb, but joined the party (hey, if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em). A Rubric monster was also in the tomb, but was quickly slain. The party gained a Scepter and Ablung’s Hammer. Paul entered a 4 card tomb and slew Skrit Yscar and Carel and gained Darkheart Tears and a Cursed Cloak. Rob returned to the Inn to negate the Slow spell that was cast on him and Paul cast Mass Heal. Rob recruited Owen Haach, a cleric/rogue. Paul entered a 4 card tomb and overcame a Falling Stones trap. He killed a Mephit, Brine Horror and Skull Master with no fatalities to his party, but recovered no treasure. Rob moved back into the catacombs and Paul cast Earthquake and Slow, giving Rob a movement of zero for next turn. Paul and Rob were both headed toward the last 5 card tomb, but Paul was faster and used Another Way In to raid it. He overcame a Divine Judgment trap and found three monsters: Morghen Dythanust, wielding a Vorpal Blade, Blackwaters and the Restless Dead. Paul Calls Forth Valor and pumped up his party with more characters. Blackwaters killed a wizard (yet another wizard fatality). Morghen was looking forward to slaying a party member with the Vorpal Blade, but after the death of the wizard, Retribution was cast, which allowed the party to go before the remaining monsters. The party killed Morghen, took the Vorpal Blade and then used it to slay Blackwaters. Rob returned to the Inn and Paul cast Dimension Door and appeared next to the remaining tomb. Rob cast Blind on Paul’s party and he delayed entering the tomb and cast Mass Heal. Paul entered the 3 card tomb, overcame the Blinding Mirror and Crumbling Wall traps and gained the Figurine of Protection, ending the game.

Rob finished with 51 XP and Paul had 100 XP. Total play time, 120 minutes.

Post game analysis: The impact of the Slow spell (reducing movement) and the Cursed Scepter (forcing moves to the back of the catacombs, where the 5 card tombs are) was too much for Rob’s party to overcome. He spent the last third of the game trying to raid a tomb and get the character that had the cursed item killed, but couldn’t get that accomplished and he didn’t gain any XP for the last part of the game.
Paul’s summoned monster, Fylgia, was a big help and was a very powerful addition to the party. Although it was a lop-sided game on the XP count, Tomb made for an enjoyable afternoon of dungeon crawling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Duroni
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite enjoyable! I love this game almost as much as Sam did the other night. I'm considering giving it a 10. Its at least a 9 on my list. I think I might like it as much, or more, than Runebound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a fun game, wish I could have played.

Did it come with mini's or are they separate? This guy painted his - they look great!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/421328/tomb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wells
United States
Centralia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the compliment. Those minis were bought separate. I didn't like the party markers that came with the game. The colors were way too similar to my color-blind eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Sofianopoulos
Greece
Agios Dimitrios
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Very vivid and detailed review, only one negative comment -sorry-: Paragraphs! I fear of going blind when I first saw the text!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GiannisS wrote:
-sorry-: Paragraphs! I fear of going blind when I first saw the text!

Very good point. When proof-reading the report, I thought the text needed some paragraphs to break it up, but couldn't really decide on good points to enter them - the entire report is an uninterrupted flow of action - guess I should have paid better attention in English Comp....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff_Wells wrote:
Thanks for the compliment. Those minis were bought separate. I didn't like the party markers that came with the game. The colors were way too similar to my color-blind eyes.

You're welcome! I can tell you put a lot of time in on them. MtMan 69 has a good collection of D&D miniatures we use a lot. They add a lot to playing for sure.

Quote:
Paragraphs!

Barteus, I wonder how many points you would count off if I turned in a paper to you that didn't have many breaks in it! I wonder if the Mods noticed...just how much GG did you receive for this report?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Session reports don't score very much gg on a time-to-gold-basis. If one's objective is to rake in some currency, this isn't a very good way to do it. I like to write session reports to record and analyze an interesting game and it is informative when other geeks comment about the game, house rules they use, and any strategies they employ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barteus wrote:
Session reports don't score very much gg on a time-to-gold-basis. If one's objective is to rake in some currency, this isn't a very good way to do it. I like to write session reports to record and analyze an interesting game and it is informative when other geeks comment about the game, house rules they use, and any strategies they employ.

Very true! I was giving you a hard time, more than anything

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Coyote
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played Talisman. Great game but the text is half the size of Tomb. This is a great game...truly addictive! Solo it to get a 'handle' on the different party members. Rule book sucks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.