Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are stronger and there are weaker characters... and then, there are some UEBER characters. This post tries to list some of possible 'houserules' and/or 'ballance' attempts for the strongest or weakest characters out there. Mine suggestions (at the moment) are following:

Assassin:
- you may try to assassinate only the revealed creatures.
- if you face both the revealed and the unrevealed creatures, you may assassinate the revealed first, then you must battle as normal.
- assassinated characters cannot use normal Objects to prevent loss of life (like helmet, shield or armor).

Dark Cultist:
- whenever you kill an Enemy, roll 1D3 only (roll D6/2: 1-2=1, 3-4=2 and 5-6=3) for the reward.

Ghoul:
- whenever you are increasing the Strength via trophies, you may toss in up to one of your already raised followers (discard it as normal).

Leprechaun:
- whenever you land on Woods, you may gain 3 gold OR replenish 1 Fate.

Minstrel:
- if you are defeated in a battle, you may sacrifice your helping charmed animal instead of losing life.

Monk:
- your inner belief allows you to add your starting Craft value only OR all of your additional Craft (without items or followers).
- you may use inner belief during your own turn only.

Priest:
- you may add 1 OR 2 to your score after rolling the die while praying.

Sage:
- you may not reroll your movement whenever you throw only 1, you must accept it.
- when you ride a horse, you may not reroll the dices for movement if you thrown 1 on at least one of them.

Sorceress:
- you may take any one follower even if you attack or beguile the character.
- when you try to beguile a character and you are not succesfull, you may attack him/her if you wish.

Troll:
- you do not possess 1 gold at the start of the game.

-----------------------------------

Safety Forest/Crags: [Dwarf, Elf, Troll, etc.]
- if you choose not to roll, you may skip your next turn and heal 1 life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

The two crappiest characters in the game, in my experience, are the Priest and the Elf.

A couple ideas I've had for these two characters are:

Priest - you may add up to 3 to the die roll when praying, instead of just 1.

Elf - drop "in the same region" from his woods teleporting ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
Interesting.

The two crappiest characters in the game, in my experience, are the Priest and the Elf.

Heh, just recently remarked over on the FFG forums that Elf is the second best base game character after the Troll, in terms of pure win-loss ! Priest sucks though, not two ways about it, for me, the joint worst character, tied with Minstrel (Leprechaun is well on his way to making it a three-way tie).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Priest updated - btw, are the Monk, Priest and Knight allowed to use their ability in the Temple?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XehutL wrote:
Priest updated - btw, are the Monk, Priest and Knight allowed to use their ability in the Temple?
Yes, the temple is usually the place to hang out for characters with praying bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
XehutL wrote:
Yes, the temple is usually the place to hang out for characters with praying bonuses.

And they add to the score of each die or to the total score only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XehutL wrote:
Aarontu wrote:
XehutL wrote:

And they add to the score of each die or to the total score only?
The total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery frost
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have tried houseruling characters that we found too powerful which causes people who draw those characters (we do a draw 3 at random pick the one you want method) to gripe. Which brought us right back to just leave the characters as they are and if someone gets them that makes them lucky. That satisfies no one either because if someone gets one of the uber characters the others feel like they have no chance of a win. It has also opened the door to other houserules for example making the dungeon a one way trip to avoid powerleveling. sometimes though it seems easiest to just accept the game as it's written. Maybe we could just exclude those characters that are too powerful it really is a conundrum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC Hendee
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As to the assassination ability (and others like it for Battle), it is better to distinguish when a character is "attacked" vs "attack(ing)". There are other situations where this approach limits his excessive advantage where a "creature" is encountered vs. just an "enemy"... such as in the Inner Region. An Enemy just drawn or a creature generated by a roll on a card or designated by a space (such as the Cave and Sentinel) is always considered to be on the "attack." Assassination (and some other abilities) based on being the attacker therefor cannot be used.

It's not as complicated as it sounds and puts the criteria inside game play instead of based in a component type and use, which ultimately leads to having to add more component / condition references to keep track of. Criteria for when the character is on offense or defense (attacking or being attacked) is a much simpler list with broader reach based in game play itself.

For the Dark Cultist or any character with its own roll table of rewards, a more common house rule in previous editions was that the character could only gain each of its listed rewards once in a game. If reward roll conditions come up again, and it rolls a reward it has already received once, it gets no reward that time.

As to "too powerful" characters, I've heard of one group that has separated characters into classifications such as Level 0, 1, 2, etc. The criteria is probably just based on play experience. They decide what level they'll play at for the evening, and the characters to draw from are then sorted out, shuffled, and drawn, and off they go. The downside is that in certain "levels" there may not be enough characters vs players to have a draw 3 and pick 1 arrangement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
Interesting.

A couple ideas I've had for these two characters are:

Priest - you may add up to 3 to the die roll when praying, instead of just 1.

Elf - drop "in the same region" from his woods teleporting ability.

I play the following:
The Elf may teleport between the following spaces:

Outer Region: WOODS, FOREST
Middle region: WOODS, ENCHANTED GLADE,
i.e. als "woody" spaces.
Without this, his ability makes no sense i the middle region (having only one woods space).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elf has surged in my stats, he is the 2nd best base game character after the Troll at this point. Woods-hopping on the Outer Region until you're ready for the Inner Region is all he needs. Middle Region offers enough loot with multiple draw spaces and Temple that he doesn't need free rides to card draws each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC Hendee
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Elf has surged in my stats... Middle Region offers enough loot with multiple draw spaces and Temple that he doesn't need free rides to card draws each turn.

Agreed... and he has always been that way through all editions. I have no idea why some players think he is weak (setting aside the pumped up characters of recent expansions). No one I knew ever complained about him in the 2E days. Perhaps some just don't know how to exploit that woodswalk ability of his.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.