Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Devil's Dictionary for Gamers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DEVIL'S DICTIONARY FOR GAMERS

Settlers of Catan: A game so perfect it has spawned a hundred variations that attempt to make it more so.

German Game: Family friendly game rarely played by families. 2. A game that offers innumerable strategic paths to certain defeat. 3. A game that rarely allows a player to be mercifully eliminated before the bitter end.

Mechanics: The basis by which a game can be shown to be broken.

Winner: The cheater who wasn't caught. 2. The gamer whose luck beat your strategy.

Loser: The cheater who was caught. 2. The gamer whose strategy was beaten by your luck.

Review: A declaration by the reviewer that he has an advance copy of a desired game and that you don't.

Session Report: A declaration by a player that he has a group to play games with and that you don't.

Broken: A game that at least one person hates.

Variant: An amateur's brilliant modification to a professional product that for some reason no one wants to adopt.

Minimum Number of Players: At least one player less than the declared minimum.

Time to Play: The declared length of time you should probably suffer through the game before demanding to quit.

Tile Laying: A mechanic that forces you to build a game because the designer was too lazy to create a proper board.

Rules: An unsolvable puzzle that allegedly tells you how a game must be played.

Errata: The rules the designer held back just because he could.

Rating System: A statistical way to state to what degree other people are stupid for not liking the games you like.

Non-gamer: Eligible spouse.

Board Game: A game with all but one loser.

Roleplaying Game: A game where everyone loses.

Dice: A device that makes your misery feel more random and less fated.

Expansion: A clever addition that makes a bad game worse.

Party Game: An ingenious way to hurry along the process of losing your friends.

Knizia: Designer of many much-loved games that he himself never plays.

Filler: A time-wasting game played to avoid having to play a game you can't stand the thought of wasting your time with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Devil's Dictionary
Publisher: Person who removes the designer's best rules

ToysRUs: Anti-game retailer

Monopoly: 1.One game to rule them all. 2. Pure evil in game form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrose Bierce

For those unfamiliar with Ambrose Bierce, this Devil's Dictionary for Gamers is based on his Devil's Dictionary (for regular people, I presume), variations of which you can find on the web. He has a very particular style of humor. Some people describe it as "cynical," but that's much too cheery of a term to apply to his work. I obviously pinched his style in when making up the DDfG and if I think I did an okay job at approximating it, but then, I find this sort of thing very funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.