Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Holy Fuck! Some dude is racist! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone check to see if Tom Greene was in the store at the time??
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLightSarcastic wrote:
You've got guys wandering the aisles wearing nothing but galoshes and inflatable pool toys


This is known around my house as "Thursday".
44 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It really wouldn't be surprising if this showed up filmed in the next Sacha Baron Cohen movie.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLightSarcastic wrote:
Have you ever seen those "Weird People At Wal-Mart" sites? You've got guys wandering the aisles wearing nothing but galoshes and inflatable pool toys, but it's the jackass on the intercom that haunts your soul?


http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Allen
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
TheLightSarcastic wrote:
Have you ever seen those "Weird People At Wal-Mart" sites? You've got guys wandering the aisles wearing nothing but galoshes and inflatable pool toys, but it's the jackass on the intercom that haunts your soul?


http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/



"All weirdos need to leave the store."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Macewan
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
Wal-Mart 'appalled' at announcement telling blacks to leave store


Long story short, in New Jersey, some joker picked up the intercom at a Wal Mart and made an announcement that "All blacks need to leave the store."

I don't know what is more sad, that CNN is actually reporting on this, or how serious the ensuing Police Investigation is:



It's not just CNN, it's made daily newspapers like The Telegraph over here in the UK. shake
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bbenston wrote:
TheLightSarcastic wrote:
You've got guys wandering the aisles wearing nothing but galoshes and inflatable pool toys


This is known around my house as "Thursday".


Do not pass Go, go directly to BBenston's RSPer-of-the-whatever thread.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Holy fuck! Some racist insulted every black person within the sound of his voice, and a bunch of white people don't want to hear about it! (No film at 11, we've seen it all before.)

"Maybe I lack the proper perspective as a snarky white broad..."

Gee,yuh think?

"Some local morons were talking about how they won't feel safe shopping at Wal-Mart again until this incident is resolved."

Morons? That's really the word you want to use? You have heard of racism, right? You are aware that black have suffered egregiously because of it, even lost their lives? But you just shake your head and pretend you don't know why black people would feel threatened by this. Why would that be? What reason would a white person have, what agenda could they be trying to advance by pretending that generally broadcast racist insults should just be ignored, that they're just stupid pranks? (Your professed tolerance for stupid pranks would no doubt evaporate if they involved slashing your tires or tossing a brick through your window.) If your comments in this thread are light sarcasm, I wouldn't want to hear what you think heavy bigotry is.

I'm glad to see in the paper this morning that they might have arrested the racist asshole responsible for this. I hope it's the right guy, I hope he gets charged and convicted, I hope he does time, and I hope the black inmates find out what he's in for.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
kade wrote:
Holy fuck! Some racist insulted every black person within the sound of his voice, and a bunch of white people don't want to hear about it! (No film at 11, we've seen it all before.)

"Maybe I lack the proper perspective as a snarky white broad..."

Gee,yuh think?

"Some local morons were talking about how they won't feel safe shopping at Wal-Mart again until this incident is resolved."

Morons? That's really the word you want to use? You have heard of racism, right? You are aware that black have suffered egregiously because of it, even lost their lives? But you just shake your head and pretend you don't know why black people would feel threatened by this. Why would that be? What reason would a white person have, what agenda could they be trying to advance by pretending that generally broadcast racist insults should just be ignored, that they're just stupid pranks? (Your professed tolerance for stupid pranks would no doubt evaporate if they involved slashing your tires or tossing a brick through your window.) If your comments in this thread are light sarcasm, I wouldn't want to hear what you think heavy bigotry is.

I'm glad to see in the paper this morning that they might have arrested the racist asshole responsible for this. I hope it's the right guy, I hope he gets charged and convicted, I hope he does time, and I hope the black inmates find out what he's in for.


Uhm, for real?

The guy they arrested was just some teenager, and I don't see how him getting gang-banged by a bunch of black guys in the shower will improve anything. (It certainly won't improve his opinion of black people.)

The point of this isn't that racism isn't an issue (it is) it is that the reaction to this is completely blown out of proportion.

This is some kid who did a dumb prank. It wasn't even particularly funny or clever. (Though the ensuing outrage is pure comedy gold.)

The point is though that when some kid slashes your tires it sucks and is illegal, but it doesn't make the national news and warrant a state wide man hunt.

The reason I'm making fun of this whole thing is not because I think racism is ok, my problem is that we shouldn't be starting witch hunts over minor bullshit.


Based on this post alone, I've reported you to the admins.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
BTW, the police statement said the prank had nothing to do with 'racism'. I bet the teenager was black.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I don't think they overreacted. Hate crime is a pretty serious issue.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
I don't think they overreacted. Hate crime is a pretty serious issue.

The very term "hate crime" is a bogus fallacy. If someone attacks you because they want to take something that you possess or because they don't like the way you look or act, then what is the difference between the two attacks? Theft is theft, murder is murder, assault is assault, and evil is evil. Whether your crime is motivated by greed, envy, bigotry, or whatever does not matter.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
drunkenKOALA wrote:
I don't think they overreacted. Hate crime is a pretty serious issue.

The very term "hate crime" is a bogus fallacy. If someone attacks you because they want to take something that you possess or because they don't like the way you look or act, then what is the difference between the two attacks? Theft is theft, murder is murder, assault is assault, and evil is evil. Whether your crime is motivated by greed, envy, bigotry, or whatever does not matter.


Perhaps it matters to the person victimized. Perhaps being targetted for theft/burglary/assault as a general member of the larger community may have less psychological impact than being singled out because of something you cannot change. Perhaps the victims will fear to seek the help of members of that ethnicity who targeted them for racial hatred and discrimination. Perhaps racially motivated crime is an insidious evil that we continue to struggle with in any way we can.

Do you have a problem with giving prosecutors another tool in their kit for pursuing prosecutions of people who are capable of these type of acts?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
Bearcat89 wrote:
drunkenKOALA wrote:
I don't think they overreacted. Hate crime is a pretty serious issue.

The very term "hate crime" is a bogus fallacy. If someone attacks you because they want to take something that you possess or because they don't like the way you look or act, then what is the difference between the two attacks? Theft is theft, murder is murder, assault is assault, and evil is evil. Whether your crime is motivated by greed, envy, bigotry, or whatever does not matter.


Perhaps it matters to the person victimized. Perhaps being targetted for theft/burglary/assault as a general member of the larger community may have less psychological impact than being singled out because of something you cannot change. Perhaps the victims will fear to seek the help of members of that ethnicity who targeted them for racial hatred and discrimination. Perhaps racially motivated crime is an insidious evil that we continue to struggle with in any way we can.

What a pile of psycho-babble horse hockey. Are you trying to assert that the victims of "non-hate" crimes are being singled out because of something they CAN change?

Interview 1-
Q: Why did you rape that woman?
A: Because she had a purty mouth and I didn' wanna take "No" for a answer.

Interview 2-
Q: Why did you rape that woman?
A: Because she was a dyke bitch that needed a man to straighten her out.

Which victim had control over something that would have prevented the attack? Which one will get special treatment because she is the victim of a so-called "hate" crime?

Quote:
Do you have a problem with giving prosecutors another tool in their kit for pursuing prosecutions of people who are capable of these type of acts?

Except that it's not a tool for prosecution, it's a modifier for sentencing that is wielded like a weapon. How do you think the "non-hate" crime victim feels when her attacker gets a lesser sentence? Does that sound like justice?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
drunkenKOALA wrote:
I don't think they overreacted. Hate crime is a pretty serious issue.

The very term "hate crime" is a bogus fallacy. If someone attacks you because they want to take something that you possess or because they don't like the way you look or act, then what is the difference between the two attacks? Theft is theft, murder is murder, assault is assault, and evil is evil. Whether your crime is motivated by greed, envy, bigotry, or whatever does not matter.

The difference is intent and the does very much change the punishment based on intent. This is very much as it should.

If (Ch"V) someone were to attack me because they thought I was threatening them or a loved one, the person might get punished. Yet that punishment should be less ifthe person genuinely thought he was acting in self-defense. By contrast, if someone attacks me because I'm a religious Jew, then yes that is much more serious and deserves harsh punishment. This is the nature of "hate crime".
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank the Lord that the arrest of an adolescent wise-ass has been forthcoming in this horrible incident. I demand that his very life be crushed between the boulders of swift justice! I think we can all agree that now truly America has entered a new era of progress, unencumbered by the weight of history, all racism erase'd, virginal in purity of thought, smelling heavily of Febreze, with liberty and justice for all. Amen. Please keep shopping.
8 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Most likely the kid will get a good and much deserved scare if all he intended was aprank.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
racism and hate crimes rate below paedophilia in my book.. and that's very very low..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawson
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthXaos wrote:
antiussentiment wrote:
racism and hate crimes rate below paedophilia in my book.. and that's very very low..


What is with all the people who spell "pedophilia" wrong? It just looks so pretentious spelled that way.


In America, "paedophilia" is not the standard spelling for that word. I'm too lazy to consult any kind of reference source, but my guess is that the standard spelling is different elsewhere, in the color/colour, cookie/biscuit, trunk/boot, right-side-driving/get-the-hell-out-of-the-oncoming-lane way of looking at things.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
@darthx

as it was spelled in my dick-canary.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
drunkenKOALA wrote:
I don't think they overreacted. Hate crime is a pretty serious issue.

The very term "hate crime" is a bogus fallacy. If someone attacks you because they want to take something that you possess or because they don't like the way you look or act, then what is the difference between the two attacks? Theft is theft, murder is murder, assault is assault, and evil is evil. Whether your crime is motivated by greed, envy, bigotry, or whatever does not matter.
So the holocaust is just like any other attack? 911 is just like any other attack? The Klu Klux Klan is just like any other attack? What's the difference between terrorism and any other attack?

All attacks are serious, but hate crime is serious in another way. It can escalate to intimidation and persecution of an entire group of people. It is a very serious issue. I don't think you get it.
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"Because black people are so oppressed by modern society one could NEVER, for example, become President..."

His mother's white, but he's black. How did that happen? Oh, I remember now, the smallest drop of "black blood" negates any quantity of "white blood".
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"Interview 1-
Q: Why did you rape that woman?
A: Because she had a purty mouth and I didn' wanna take "No" for a answer.

Interview 2-
Q: Why did you rape that woman?
A: Because she was a dyke bitch that needed a man to straighten her out."

These examples are not arguments against the existence of hate crimes, they're arguments for also considering rape a hate crime.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"Based on this post alone, I've reported you to the admins."

I don't understand what this means.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"Uhm, for real?"

Yeah, straight up.

"...him getting gang-banged..."

I was thinking they'd beat him with soap. It's funny how people's minds work.

"...the ensuing outrage is pure comedy gold."

Your outrage at the publicity surrounding this crime and it's prosecution is hardly comedy gold. In fact, it isn't even amusing. That's kind of the point.

"The point is though that when some kid slashes your tires it sucks and is illegal, but it doesn't make the national news and warrant a state wide man hunt."

So what?

"...shouldn't be starting witch hunts over minor bullshit."

Sorry, I missed the witch hunt part. Somebody broke the law in a very public, very noxious way. The victims of this crime demanded some kind of action. The police investigated and think they've arrested the right person. Where's the witch hunt? And the fact that you think this incident is "minor bullshit" speaks for itself.

"This is some kid who did a dumb prank."

How do you know? He could be a committed skinhead for all you know. Why the rush to defend him?

And even if he is some kid, well, I'm sorry to tell you that "boys will be boys" is no longer an excuse that's acceptable to most people when it comes to public racist outbursts.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.