8 Posts

Britannia» Forums » Rules

Subject: Submitted nation pop increase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Linus Rutegård
Sweden
flag msg tools
Round up or down? The 2006 errata says up, Lew's Brit2ndFinal.pdf says down.

How do you guys play it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As with most games I play, I tend to interpret rounding up or down to be in the manner that HURTS the player the most. Thus, I'd round down here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linus Rutegård
Sweden
flag msg tools
I see your reasoning. In all fairness though, it is such an important rule change, should one round pop increase down instead of up, meaning Brigs mostly get 2 and Picts 1 instead of 3 and 2, respectively. 2 for the Picts is huge in preparation for taking on the Scots.

Lew, Ken, Ewan - Do you have any input from experience on how rounding up affects games? My gaming group has only used the rule once or so, since reading the errata from 2006 another time and noticing this. After last night's session though, I came upon Lew's 2008 .pdf and am thus rather ambivalent on the matter.

I would be very interested in other opinions on this matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Short of time here--what do the 2008 edition rules (posted on FFG's site) say? That has to be the final arbiter.

Lew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linus Rutegård
Sweden
flag msg tools
Quote:
They receive only half the usual Increase of Population points (round quarters down, but
the minimum Increase is half a point). However, each turn the Roman player can allow
subjects to Increase Population fully (so that the subjects can fight off mutual enemies)

From your http://www.pulsipher.net/britannia/Brit2ndFinal.pdf. Have I perhaps misunderstood your wording here? I have to confess, I don't actually grasp what quarters are in this context.

Quote:
3. Subject nations receive only half the usual population
points (round halves up). However, each turn the Roman
player may allow subjects to increase Population fully (so
that the subjects can fight off mutual enemies).

From http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Britannia/Brit....

FFG > * then?

Thanks for the quick replies, by the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only place you'd have half points for something is due to submission. The rules state that both population and VP round up for submitted nations for the FFG edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
keneten wrote:
Quote:
They receive only half the usual Increase of Population points (round quarters down, but
the minimum Increase is half a point). However, each turn the Roman player can allow
subjects to Increase Population fully (so that the subjects can fight off mutual enemies)

From your http://www.pulsipher.net/britannia/Brit2ndFinal.pdf. Have I perhaps misunderstood your wording here? I have to confess, I don't actually grasp what quarters are in this context.

I'd guess that I failed to fix the wording here when I doubled the victory points so that there were no halves (there were half points in the original game). And that would be why there's the outdated reference to quarters.

But as it's 5AM and I've been up since 2 AM, who knows for sure?

Lew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linus Rutegård
Sweden
flag msg tools
Alright! Thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.