Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the rules stand, you roll a single die for all attrition and apply it to every hex.

As a simple variant, roll a separate die for each mapboard panel, applying it only to stacks on that panel.
I have never quite figured out why a bad winter in Russia should be equally bad in Spain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, seems like a very reasonable variant. That would create a lot more diversity in the attrition results and could simulate the vagaries of weather across Europe.

I've created an alternate Attrition Table to add nuance to this aspect. Could be a good alternative as well.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@802.JSIgalBET85.20@.ee6d...

I do think the Supply and Attrition rules are a bit too simple, but these types of simple abstractions are what helps make the game so fun and playable. Perhaps there should be a Basic Game and then an Advanced Campaign Game that incorporates nuances such as this?

--JokerRulez
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nyhotep wrote:
As the rules stand, you roll a single die for all attrition and apply it to every hex.

As a simple variant, roll a separate die for each mapboard panel, applying it only to stacks on that panel.
I have never quite figured out why a bad winter in Russia should be equally bad in Spain.

I actually played a 'house rule' where you rolled separately for each stack that had a chance of loss due to attrition. Mind you, that was in the context of scenarios, not the campaign. For a campaign game, rolling for each stack would probably be too much - doing it by 'map' is a reasonable compromise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Phillips
msg tools
Came across one variation for determining attrtion in War and Peace: roll for groups of stacks within three hexes of each other. The result is 'regional' attrtion without complicating or slowing the game down too much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Arnold
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rolling by maps is a good solution for a campaign game. Rolling one die for the entire map seems pretty stupid!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Falconer
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like rolling for each stack, it doesn't take too long, and you have to count each stack anyways, so rolling once each time adds only a negligible amount of time. Actually I was shocked when I re-read the rules and realized you were supposed to only roll once, we had always rolled for each stack.

I am not so sure how I feel about even rolling by map section, there is such a huge difference when you roll a six or a one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy B.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
One variation my brother and I came up with is a die roll for each mapboard, to be used by both sides (pro-French rolls 1 & 2, anti-French 3&4), and a die roll for each nation, and the two would be averaged and rounded down. The first roll would represent weather, regional economic or agricultural issues, etc. The latter roll would be for factors particular to the nation in question (political unrest, particular epidemics travelling through the ranks, that idiot Joseph forgot to order blankets for the men - maybe I'll ship him off to Spain...). A six on attrition would thus be rare, a one most frequent, the other numbers equally weighted between them. Thus, say a 3 is rolled for mapboard 3, and the French roll a 4 for their national attri tion, then a stack of Polish would have as their attrition roll (3+4)/2 = 3.5 rounded down to a "3". On the Anti-French turn the Prussians roll a 1, the Russians a 3, and the Austrians a 6, giving their stacks on Mapboard 3 a "2", a "3" and a "4" respectively to deal with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.