Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Big A&A fan from years back and loved AAR when I got it. Now not played it in over 3 years due to too many other euro-games. However, recently found another A&A fan and was going to get a game in this weekend, so thought I would pop on here, find out the latest rules and get myself up to speed.

And found AA50, which I hadnt heard about. Now, I dont want to go out and buy AA50 because I have AAR and I dont play it that often, but some of the rules in AA50 look quite nice.

And then I came across LHTR.

So, my choices are now to play with LHTR rules, which are v2.0 and seem to be written for AAR. Or, to closely look at the rules in AA50 and use some of them.

Obviously, I wont be able to use some of the new rules (like cruisers), but there are many other rules I *could* use.

New costs for ships.
New rules for transports.
New rules for China.

Anyone any opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a third option: Axis & Allies: 1942. This game came out a few months ago and basically amounts to playing with most of the AA50 rules on the AAR map. It retails for $25-30.

I would recommend either purchasing AA42 or playing AAR with LHTR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'll bite, what is LHTR? I am guessing Larry Harris something rules. Link?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seoul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
3dicebombers wrote:
Okay, I'll bite, what is LHTR? I am guessing Larry Harris something rules. Link?

That would be Larry Harris Tournament Rules which are indeed and improvement not to be missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Although not owning Revised, I think I will just play my copy of AA50 instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all.

However, I wanted to avoid buying a new game. The questions are:
Should I use the new rules for transports, new values for subs, the new research rules, etc.

All the things that can easily be brought into AAR?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Navander
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi,
could you please summarize the main rule changes AAR -> LHTR. The changes should have been highlighted in the LHTR document.

@NORDICAN: Improvement in what way?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Thanks all.

However, I wanted to avoid buying a new game. The questions are:
Should I use the new rules for transports, new values for subs, the new research rules, etc.

All the things that can easily be brought into AAR?

The exact rules you mentioned could easily be used in Revised. The setup may need balance tweaking, however. Especially around the UK, I foresee that the Royal Navy will be more vulnerable to the Luftwaffe due to the transport change.

Also note the new Heavy Bombers nerfing fix. You now get to choose one of the two dice instead of adding them.

China may be the most difficult rule to port, due to the dramatically changed map layout in the region in AA50. Getting one Infantry per two areas isn't all that usefull with only two Chinese areas. Or perhaps it is? Maybe just give them one Inf per turn as long as they control an area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
erna3113 wrote:
Hi,
could you please summarize the main rule changes AAR -> LHTR. The changes should have been highlighted in the LHTR document.

Thanks!

Please dont hijack my thread. There are already other threads covering the differences between AAR & LHTR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
erna3113 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

As far as I remember the main changes are:

1 Techs take effect at the end of the turn. (Change made to nerf the longrange aircraft -> sea lion on G1-move)

2Fighters can now "hover" in a sea zone where you will be deploying an aircraft carrier later in the turn.

Not sure if the bidding rules are LHTR, but they might be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
erna3113 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

Please dont hijack my thread. There are already other threads covering the differences between AAR & LHTR

I think this will help both of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Navander
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
erna3113 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

No hijacking intentions here I was just to lazy to search the forum. Thank you though, all questions answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, played A&AR over the weekend with LHTR. Another game planned for this weekend, but I'm still keen on adopting *some* of the rules from AA50 / AA1942.

1. Scientists for Research. I really like this idea.
Option 1: Simply use the scientist rule but with AAR 6 techs. Still allow choice of tech advancement. Possibly a bit too powerful.
Option 2: Use scientists with AAR 6 techs but make it random again.
Option 3: Come up with 2 new tech trees (6 each), based mainly on the ones from AA50, but tweaked to work with AAR.

2. Cruisers
Option 1: I dont have the physical minis, and am not going to buy AA50 or AA1942, so I just wont use them
Option 2: Grab my original copy of A&A, and substitute some old minis for cruisers. This might not work well at all - the colours are different so might need some repainting, and I'm not even sure which minis I can use that would look sufficiently different.

EDIT - Tonight I have just 'modified' all my original transports. I'm now going to use them as destroyers, and the original destroyers as cruisers. Cruisers here we go!

3. New costs for units
Not sure about this one. Should I use the new costs for bombers, battleships, etc.

4. Transports
It seems the new transports rules are well liked. Should I just introduce them as they are. Someone earlier in the thread suggested I might need to tweak the setup, as otherwise the british fleet is vulnerable at the start of the game. Maybe use a slightly modified setup taking into account what the setup is from AA1942. And are the new transport rules good enough to accept a slight tweak in the setup.

EDIT - Just looked at the setup rules for 1942 which use the new transport rules. Seems zone 2 still only has 1 Battleship and 1 Transport.

5. Strategic Bombing.
I could just introduce this rule as is - I just need to find something to use as damage counters.

6. New Anti-air rules.
They now cost 6 instead of 5, but they now dont fire at anything passing over them, so they are only useful in combat? So they have made them cost more, but made them less good?

7. New submarine stats
Subs are now 2/1. If I use the new costs for units (above), should I now use subs at 2/1

Thanks in advance all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.