Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an upcoming game of Civilization. I don't want to play with all of the Advanced rules at this time, but I would like to set a time limit for the game.

My thinking was that after the time limit is reached, whoever had moved the farthest along in the farthest age would be declared the winner. I'm using the Western Expansion Map AST, so for example if someone had moved two spaces into the Iron Age, they would beat someone who had only moved one space into it (assuming the Iron Age was the farthest anyone had advanced). Ties would be broken by total AST score + trade cards + Civ cards + money, like in Advanced Civ.

Does this sound like it would work? Any other way of time limiting the basic game without going fully into Advanced Civ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In other words, you want to apply the end game scoring of Avd Civ to a Civ game... Make sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a reason why you are avoiding the specifically marked "safe" end game lines on the AST?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, because I want the game to end at a specific time (after eight hours of play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes. Maybe you should just set a five minute time limit on trading instead and then you can actually finish the game in eight hours.

Otherwise, you could probably aim for the line just before the official finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on using the five minute time limit for trading. However, the game is going to consist of six people with limited to no experience playing this game. I am hoping we'll be able to wrap up the game inside of eight hours, but I am not sure if that's going to happen. So I plan on having a way to call the game once the eight hour limit is reached, just in case we have not finished by that time.

My plan is to call the game at the end of a turn once 7.5 hours of play have elapsed (assuming nobody has reached the end of the AST by this time). Then we will play one more turn, and the game will conclude. This should end the game at right around 8 hours.

If the game is called because of time, the winner will be the civilization that is in the latest epoch (early/late bronze age, early/late iron age). In case of a tie, the winner will be the civilization that has moved farther along in the epoch. For example, a player who is on the second space of the early iron age would beat someone who is on the first space in the early iron age. If there is still a tie, the winner will be decided by adding together the value of civilization cards, trade cards, and treasury.

What I want to know is if anyone sees a flaw in this idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
Ulm
Ba-Wü
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisbender wrote:
Yes, because I want the game to end at a specific time (after eight hours of play).

It should be no problem to play a full game of Civilization in this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisbender wrote:

If the game is called because of time, the winner will be the civilization that is in the latest epoch (early/late bronze age, early/late iron age). In case of a tie, the winner will be the civilization that has moved farther along in the epoch. For example, a player who is on the second space of the early iron age would beat someone who is on the first space in the early iron age. If there is still a tie, the winner will be decided by adding together the value of civilization cards, trade cards, and treasury.

What I want to know is if anyone sees a flaw in this idea?

If you are willing to break ties with the adv civ scoring, I suggest that you apply the adv civ scoring even if there is no tie. I prefer the adv civ scoring because it gives a chance to Egpyt and Babylone to finish first, even if they have to stop on AST at turn 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Romain wrote:

If you are willing to break ties with the adv civ scoring, I suggest that you apply the adv civ scoring even if there is no tie. I prefer the adv civ scoring because it gives a chance to Egpyt and Babylone to finish first, even if they have to stop on AST at turn 5.

The final tiebreaker I am using is not the Advanced Civ scoring. It's the tie breaker in the Civ rules. Advanced Civ scoring also adds in points for your position on the AST and for cities.

Eventually I plan on moving to the Advanced Civ rules, once my group becomes more experienced with the game. In the beginning, however, I like Civilization's focus on the AST. I think it helps to give a clear indicator of how well everyone is doing, and what everyone needs to do next. Also, Civ has a much faster play time.

I think we will most likely be able to finish the game within eight hours, but if we don't I think my little tweak to determine the winner will work if the game needs to be called because of time.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I'll try and remember to post a session report after the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.